my lights dim

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3chom

my lights dim

Post by mx3chom »

hey guys,<P>im having a problem. my lights dim when ever i hit the brakes. my cock dims when i turn on the light. i was wondering what this was, and how to fix it.<P>thanks,<BR>dominic
RIP 95 rs
canadian_ice

Re: my lights dim

Post by canadian_ice »

Any aftermarket stuff on there?<P>I'm having the same problem :(
mx3chom

Post by mx3chom »

i have a cold air. cd player, american legacy 1000 watt amp,alpine 12" type r sub. white face gauges that glow blue at night, blue windshield washer lighs, blue underbodys.<P>but this happened ever sice i got my car<P>dominic
RIP 95 rs
canadian_ice

Post by canadian_ice »

yeah man same problem! its 4 cylinders - we have smaller batteries and alternators.<P>Im getting a new battery next month...hope it fixes it :(
mx3chom

Post by mx3chom »

let me know if that battery fixes it<P>dominic
RIP 95 rs
white94mx3

Post by white94mx3 »

If your RPMs Drop, that sounds like a Vacuum problem, or your Distributor timing is off, as for the lights dimming it's either because of an Old battery not holding enough charge, or an old Alternator not charging the battery enough, I had the Same Problem with my car, Put a new battery in, and it stopped the problem, and then when I added my system, it started again, so I put on a aftermarket Alternator, and then that problem was fixed
1994 Mazda MX-3 RS (Project RS-T)
THStrumpet

Post by THStrumpet »

I have the same problem with my lights, but as for the gauges dropping that happened to me onece. And a little while later my car cut off on the off ramp. It ended up being just residue crap on the battery terminals!
L83R,

Joel
SpeedConcepts #11

I live my life a quarter mile at a time, nothing else matters, for those 22 seconds or more, I'm free.
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

mine dim a little........when i idle <BR>but my mechanic said that was fine......<BR>jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
mx3chom

Post by mx3chom »

white94mx3,<P>do those hurricane headers make much of a difference. is it noticiable?<P>thanks,<BR>dominic
RIP 95 rs
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

OK Guys/Gals, I HAD this problem too, but I resolved it. I have 4 sidemarkers, LED washer nozzles, 2 JL 10W1 subs, and a Punch 250aII amp. We drive those subs HARD (DAMN HARD) and we noticed the lights dimming even when NOT pushing the system hard. It was really bad when you would step on the brakes when the headlights, stereo, and LED's were on. A few times, the cars Tach and Speedo would just drop to 0 and then come back up. We replaced the alternator and that resolved the problem for 1/2 day. We replaced the battery (and cleaned the terminals REALLY GOOD) and have not had a problem since then (knock on wood). We did this about 6-8 months ago, so I assume that it is resolved now. I would replace your battery (get the largest one that will fit in your battery holder) and clean the terminals real good (on the battery AND on the cable ends). It might also be a good idea to remove your alternator (real pain in the a--) and have it tested at an auto parts store to see how many volts it is putting out. I think that they need to be at least 12-14 volts (the more the better). Just a hint, if you take out the alternator, you will need to unbolt the exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold (there are 3 bolts) and that will allow you to remove the alternator from below rather than trying to disassemble the top half of the engine to remove it.
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

Oh yeah, the clock getting dimmer is normal when you turn your lights on (as long as it gets brighter when you turn them off).
LUIS

Post by LUIS »

I put new battery fwew months ago and is not a problem,check the alternator maybe go down,verify the volt.13v-15v on,good luck<P> suren :D
Luis A. Suren<BR>http://members.cardomain.com/surenmx3<BR> project mx-3 wild
white94mx3

Post by white94mx3 »

Yeah, I noticed some what of a Difference, but not much...they maybe helped out with about 3-5HP? but I was able to tell that there was an airflow increase, cause I slightly noticed alittle bit more torque and I stopped hearing the backfire due to too much air going in, and not being able to go out as fast :D
1994 Mazda MX-3 RS (Project RS-T)
MattsGirl9500

Post by MattsGirl9500 »

yea when the bass hits in the car (have 2 jenson 12's and a sony explo 800 amp)(plus even when there was only a 10 in there) the lights dim, we figured out that its the alternator/and the battery terminals.... once i went out to the car and the car wouldnt start cuz they acme loose and they are corroded sort of....
~Alisha

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”