Was that a tick?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Pope52

Re: Was that a tick?

Post by Pope52 »

could be the heat shield...mine was doin the same thing the other day...
wainaink

Post by wainaink »

It could be your lifters. They are the things that hold down your intake and exhaust valve springs inside your engine. I have the same ticking noise in my car, all i do to make it stop is put an lucas oil stabalizer in the engine, which is best to do with an oil change and it takes care of the ticking noise. To replace them i heard it was $40 for each, so if you have the four cylinder do the math. I've learn't to deal with mine, my car hasn't broken down on me yet or anything.
jeff

Post by jeff »

I have the same thing in my car.. terrible ticking noise.. it sometimes goes away... but not very often. but it's annoying and it's loud and I cna't get it to stop!!
wainaink

Post by wainaink »

for jeff, try using lucas oil stablizer next time you get an oil change and see if that helps. When my lifters make that ticking noise, it's usually around the time i need to have an oil change. :eek:
Pope52

Post by Pope52 »

I get a ticking noise when my fan/ A/C is on. Prolly somethin harmless...like I need some more refrig. or its prolly just the heat shield...which u dont really need unless u like to park in tall dry grass.
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sleek23:<BR><STRONG>It could be your lifters. They are the things that hold down your intake and exhaust valve springs inside your engine. I have the same ticking noise in my car, all i do to make it stop is put an lucas oil stabalizer in the engine, which is best to do with an oil change and it takes care of the ticking noise. To replace them i heard it was $40 for each, so if you have the four cylinder do the math. I've learn't to deal with mine, my car hasn't broken down on me yet or anything.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Valve spring keepers and retainers hold down the springs. The lifters ride on top of these and the cams on top of the lifters. The ticking is from the lifters not being able to adjust themselfs. They do wear out after time and if they make noise all the time, they may need replacement along with the camshafts that follow them. If you hold the lifter in your hand and squeeze the bottom; if the underside moves, it needs replacement. If not its fine. The lifters are expensive at $40 a piece plus the cams.<P>If the noise is not persistant, than most oil treaments work well. I use STP, which is very thick.
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

I cleaned all the HLAs in my car....tick is basically GONE. They all squish however...but no tick.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

interesting.
Eddie N

Post by Eddie N »

im assuming a 16 valve OHC engine has 8 lifters? 2 valves per lifter? <P>im having a pretty bad ticking noise coming from my engine, and it doesnt sound like lifter tick.. my other car has lifter tick and the ticking goes much faster.. <P>like everyone else, the problem comes and goes.. after a fresh oil change i can rev the car a bit after start up and the noise goes away.. but after 3 thousand miles the noise is permanently back until i change the oil again..<P>im looking to eliminate this noise altogether.. anyone ever try seafoam? <P>- eddie -
d_moore

Post by d_moore »

Well fellas, I had the same ticking sound from my 1.6. I have taken it apart, and the lifters have small pin holes in them that oil passes through for cooling. All of my lifters were gummed up pretty bad but not terminal. The ticking sound was definately coming from my lifters being stuck. I believe a good oil treatment will do the trick next time. :)
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Donmoore:<BR><STRONG>Well fellas, I had the same ticking sound from my 1.6. I have taken it apart, and the lifters have small pin holes in them that oil passes through for cooling. All of my lifters were gummed up pretty bad but not terminal. The ticking sound was definately coming from my lifters being stuck. I believe a good oil treatment will do the trick next time. :)</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The pinholes are not for cooling. Oil is pressurized into the HLAs and therefore keeps the valve lash correct without the need for adjustment. This is what I cleaned. I used a standard engine prep solvent, and after rinsing them, submerged them in oil and pumped them up by hand until i could get no more air out of them. Lifter tick is VASTLY reduced.<P>Eddie...a 16 valve head will have 16 HLAs. (HLA = lifter, kinda :))
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
littlemantke

Post by littlemantke »

The ticking noise is suppose to be thier. It's part of the engine. Now you can get rid of the tick by putting heavier oil in your engine but I wouldn't recomend it. At least untill the winter time.
Hondas are for people who don't want to be unique!!!!!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”