Coolant problem, really needs help!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions

Coolant problem, really needs help!

Post by Guest »

Ok, this is gonna take a while, so bare with me. One day driving home I noticed my temp gauge started rising towards hot, I pulled over there was some smoke or steam (cant tell which it is) coming out from behind my right headlight, I checked the coolant level and it was completely all gone. I filled the coolant tank back up and it stays, doesnt suddenly disappear like it did. I've checked the hoses for breaks and leaks and have found none. But whenever the car is running for about 5 mins, the temp gauge starts to rise again and the is there smoke/steam coming out from under the headers or somewhere underneath the car, cant tell from where. Can someone please help me find out if there is a coolant leak somewhere or tell me what I'm missing to check. I would GREATLY appreciate it, thanks!<P>Matt
wainaink

Re: Coolant problem, really needs help!

Post by wainaink »

Have you checked your radiator for leaks. I had a somewhat similar problem, but after checking my radiator found out it was leaking on one side. A new one cost me $90 which i installed myself.

Post by Guest »

Hey, I thought I checked it, but I could haven missed something. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it. =)

Post by Guest »

Oh, and where did you get the new radiator from? I dont wanna have to go through Mazda and pay buckets of cash for one. Thanks again =)
white94mx3

Post by white94mx3 »

Hey, I know what problem you are having exactly, I had the same problem, the stock radiator has plastic wells, and mine it was the left well had a 7in crack down the side of it, I went to Napa and got a new Modine Radiator with steel wells for $140, that would be your best bet to go, and you could change the radiator yourself it's really easy, or else it will cost you about $100 to have the new one put in, and not many people will put one in that you bought from some where else, so Happy hunting :)
1994 Mazda MX-3 RS (Project RS-T)

Post by Guest »

Tight man, thanks a lot, I'll go up to NAPA tomorrow and see if I can pick one up. =)

Post by Guest »

I just called NAPA and the radiator for the 4 cylinder MX3 is actually $223, but its still all good.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”