What about 1.8 T4cyl BPturbo 180hp???

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
solvman

What about 1.8 T4cyl BPturbo 180hp???

Post by solvman »

Hi all,<P>I have just seen an engine on corksport.com. It is 1.8 T4 BPturbo w/approx 180hp. Is it possible to install this engine in MX3 93 DOHC 1.6L? The one i have right now is 190,000 miles. Does it worth a swap?<P>Thank you all
white94mx3

Re: What about 1.8 T4cyl BPturbo 180hp???

Post by white94mx3 »

Well, Pretty much any import except Honda is worth hooking up. the 1.8L BPT (The GT-R) is actually 210+ HP, so You'd be better off going for that, unless the car is in really bad shape, I'd say go for it, I have a 1994 MX-3 that I just bought and it has 110,000 Miles on it, and That's what I'm gonna do. So if you're interested in Fixing it up and racing it, then go for it.
1994 Mazda MX-3 RS (Project RS-T)
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

the bpt has two versions. the gtx(180hp) and the gt-r(210hp) the gt-r is next to impossible to find. and if you do, getting it here isn't worth the hassle. corksport no longer sells the gt-r motor. the only one you will get here in the states is the gtx version.<P>you say you have a 93. 92-93 are SOHC. there are some differences between these two motors(SOHC and DOHC) as far as swapping goes. do some research on this or you will get in over your head.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
heatherc

Post by heatherc »

I suppose i am going to do it the hard way also...I have had my 92 sohc 1.6 since she was brand new and don't want to rid myself of her..i am planning a BPT swap with a MTX by september.I will be travelling up to A-spec in toronto to do this..with the help of a few friends ( i love u guyz) <BR>I am buying the "little extra's" now :motormounts,ecu.,clutch, etc: i know that this may cost me what my entire car may be worth..and there is alot that i am getting into...however, i have had the car 10 years and spose i am attached to her...if anyone has any advice let me know...dunno if anyone else has done a sohc swap to BPT??? :eek:
-----------------------------------<BR>_/*\_ ¸.·¤**¤·.,¸,.·¤**¤·.<BR>\ M׳/¸.·¤**¤ müÇh LØVê †Ø M¥ m×鮊<BR>/.·*·.\¸.·¤**¤·.,¸,.·¤**¤<BR>-----------------------------------
k2stp

Post by k2stp »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> cre8v mx3 <BR>you say you have a 93. 92-93 are SOHC. there are some differences between these two motors(SOHC and DOHC) as far as swapping goes. do some research on this or you will get in over your head.<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I'm not an expert or anything but I have a 92 and Iam sure its a DOHC so not all of the 92-93's are SOHC
I wasn't born to drive I was born to work, but I got laid off;)
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

92-93 4cyl were sohc. the v6 was the only dohc for those years. to make sure, where are you sprark plugs? are they on the front side of the motor or are they in the middle of your valve cover. if they are on the front, you have a sohc. if they are in the middle of the valvecover, you have a dohc. if you have a dohc, then either the person who had it before you put in the dohc or you don't have a 92. ;)
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
natural born honda killer

Post by natural born honda killer »

what makes the sohc swap so much harder is the fact that the sohc has a 3 wire tps plug wire set etc.... the dohc has a four wire tps plug wire set etc... the bpt has a four wire also so they just wire for the most part but the you'd have to call derrick at corksport to find out how to do the sohc bpt swap. he'd know what to do to make the 3 wire tps plug work with the four. just give him a call. and even though your doing this swap and it'll cost as much as your car is worth. DO IT!!! you will be completly suprised. i did it and wish i had known of this swap sooner cause i would have done it sooner. very much worth it :)
jeremy cline
95 MX-3 RS
The only BPT GTR MX-3 in Texas!!!

man iraq sucks!!!
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

the way to fix the sohc tps is to get a protege throttle body. you'll have to either get the protege ecu or the j-spec ecu. some wires have to be spliced/connected. not sure which ones. just thought i'd add this info. derrick knows the whole deal.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”