The Idle Shakes...

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
redgumball

The Idle Shakes...

Post by redgumball »

There maybe be a simple reason to this, so if you have any ideas, by all means.. let me know, but I've notice the car shake soo much when I'm in either idle or reverse. Is the idle set to high?<BR>I really don't want to mess around with it and I would take it to the mechanic I've seen in the past for the last few jobs he did.. but my gut feeling tells me that he's fixing things that aren't broke at times.. any decent mechanic in and around the Toronto area would be great to know, especially one who knows there stuff about mazda parts, and are fairly reasonable. ;)

Re: The Idle Shakes...

Post by Guest »

i tols this to another dude last week whose idle was jumping up and down at idle and it fixed his problem....try disconnecting your positive battery terminal for 15 mins, then reconnect it..this resets your ecu and it worked for the other guy..good luck ;)
redgumball

Post by redgumball »

Thanks for the advice, it did help at bit. :) <BR>The shakes are there still, but not as bad as it was before.
white94mx3

Post by white94mx3 »

What's your RPM at when it starts shaking? Mine shakes when it idles at 650RPMs, I just adjusted the Idle abit, and now it idles at 850RPMS, and it doesn't shake at all.
1994 Mazda MX-3 RS (Project RS-T)

Post by Guest »

is it auto or 5 spd?
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

you could always take your car to a-spec to see if they'll service it for you. They are definitely mazda friendly
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
jinu_chang

Post by jinu_chang »

does it happen when your in neutral?
redgumball

Post by redgumball »

The car is an auto, and it didn't give me the shakes in neutral that much (but I notice it getting worse), just in [r] and when I'm stopped at a light.. <P>Just the other day I nearly freaked, when I started the engine, the RPM shot up to about 18 and hummed at that until I dropped it into gear.. Blahhh.. I don't know, sounds like something else is going on here. :eek:
fictionaldaydream

Post by fictionaldaydream »

I have to get in this subject, mine started doing that to me today. I don't know what is up, I have a 5 speed and it freaked me out also. It nevered happend untill I left to go pick my friend up like at 3pm. When I was driving to a stop sign and went to first, I tried to leave like normal then it started to jump and died. I started and started rolling down I mean it was like a small hill, then I pushed it fast to move and it skidded out like crazy. It did it even when I was at a stop light. It died and I had to hurry up to go, also it rumbles way to much when I just sick there with the clucth and brake down not the e-brake. I started to hear this sound every now and then it will make the sound then again a few sec. Should I just take the positive part off and then just connect it again. Sorry for the long story and I don't know that much about mechanics. Thanks :D
-=deathtrap-mx3=-

Post by -=deathtrap-mx3=- »

the idle porblem on our cars are common. my auto shakes when idle in every position. i have yet to find a solution. drive shakes alot more than neutral, so if D is shaking at a stoplight etc. i just pop it into N, and its only a slight shimmer.
Looking for a 94+GS for KL-ZE fun :)
02 Protege DX Retired
93 MX-3 RS Gone But Not Forgotten
jinu_chang

Post by jinu_chang »

Could be a number of things/ idle needs to be reset/ check valves and hoses/ check plugs and wires/ check o/s sensor/ throttle plate could be dirty/ check pcv valve or fuel filters/ for me it was the throttle plate so they ran a cleaner into the engine for a hr and that cleared my problem up
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

do a tune up...new oil (mobil 1, ams oil) new ngk plugs new air filter(good time for cone filter on the end of the maf)
Steve
jinu_chang

Post by jinu_chang »

Hey Steve.. on a unrelated topic if you put a cone and remove the fix box.. wouldn't that just be drawing more hot air into the engine?
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

meh....... I just didn't want to get into explaining how to do a cold air setup....
Steve
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

uhhhh yes, hence the design for the prm intake or a RAM air setup. And i really didnt know that our cars have idle problems. I've never had one in my auto or stick. If you done all the basics including resetting the ECU perhaps you have faulty one. You may also have vaccuum or exhaust leaks.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”