turbo in DOHC

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
gecko1650

turbo in DOHC

Post by gecko1650 »

i was wondering if anyone has put a turbo in a the sock DOHC engine, because I saw a turbo manifold on corksport.com just wondering if it would work. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
torpedan

Re: turbo in DOHC

Post by torpedan »

Well your asking the right crowd but a lot of the information you need is already in the forum i suggest you serach for it. <P>You will find that you can get a junkyard manifold from sevral diffrent cars that will bolt up to the 94 dohc 4cyl. <P>I am working on peiceing together what i need although have been getting setback by thigns like tires and a clutch ;)
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Paul Rounds

Post by Paul Rounds »

I would like to put a turbo on a dohc 4 cyl. I want to get as much as possible out of the engin. does anyone know where I can get a turbo for this engin? and how many horses this engin has stock? the help would be greatly appreciated.
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

You need to find a car with a b6t (if i am remebering right) in it. Like a Mercery Capri xr2 91-94. The manafold will bolt right up.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

I have done it stick around a little longer I will have a complete how to posted for all those wanting to do the bolt on turbo project. I will basically add to what Maldo has already accomplished... <P>Mandrel Bent, custom air filters and front mount intercooler.
94 Mazda MX-3 BPT Custom Intake/Exhaust T3/T4, 51mm BOV, Tial WG, 2.5" Piping, 880cc Inj, Godspeed Intercooler, TEC II
My MX-3 Website
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

For the intercooler did you relocate the radiator any or remove the ac?
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

No, just put it in front of the radiator.
94 Mazda MX-3 BPT Custom Intake/Exhaust T3/T4, 51mm BOV, Tial WG, 2.5" Piping, 880cc Inj, Godspeed Intercooler, TEC II
My MX-3 Website
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

when i get all the parts together i am contemplaing moving the radiator into the engine bay some and allowing for enough space to have a MASSIVE intercooler
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

Just remember when you get the turbo and manifold in there you will only have a little amount of room left to push the radiator back.<p>[ May 07, 2002: Message edited by: Kick @#$ Mazda ]
My MX-3 Website
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

yeah i jsut need to get the parts i am gonig to run and check them out how it fil fit spacewise
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

pushing back the radiator won't help you in the way you need it to. with your set-up, you don't want bigger than a 2in thick i/c. any thicker than that, the turbo will not supply enough to use it effectively thus not having as good of a cooling effect. if you want bigger, go length and/or width.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

2 in is what my brother ( a mechanic) specified just with the ac coil being in front of it space can get tight, and there is no way in hell i am going without ac in texas.. when its 110 outside rolling down the windows is not good enough.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

You could do something like this...and keep all your stock radiator and air conditioner in the same place.<P> Image
My MX-3 Website
EvilSnot

Post by EvilSnot »

Hey, what do you guys think about using rx-7 intercoolers?
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Not to shaby although I wanted to focus more on legnth/width rather than depth. Given the ambient temprature i am going to need to take a good look into intercooling concepts<P>My god that is a big picture =]<P>An intercooler is a intercooler is a intercooler.. Granted there can be vast diffrences pending carious things but if it fits your applicatoin go for it.<P><BR>btw is your manifold the one on the b6t if so could i get a pic of it?<p>[ May 09, 2002: Message edited by: torpedan ]
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”