Turbo in 1.6 SOHC

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
crash1216

Turbo in 1.6 SOHC

Post by crash1216 »

I was wondering if i could put a turbo on my 1.6 SOHC and if i can what kind?
maldo

Re: Turbo in 1.6 SOHC

Post by maldo »

Yes you can but I will let you find out for yourself. Just so you know, questions like these have been brought up countless times and I as well as some of the others get tired of answering the same questions time and time again. That being said, use the search function, look for B6T, turbo, VJ14, BPT. Those key words will give you some info, if after doing your own research, you still have good questions to ask, fire away. I would also recommend joining the MX-3 egroup on yahoo for more info.
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

save your money....a custom turbo is hard to make reliable and will cost you alot whether you blow your motor from leaning out or from your motor not being abl;e to handle alot of boost......you might be able to break 110 hp if you have a really good set up on a stock motor....do a swap and get a B6T....save your time and money
Steve
renef

Post by renef »

YUP! I am slowly finding out these very things myself.<P>The problem is that your (my) starting point is a very, very weak platform. The engine is rated at 88HP at the flywheel, you can only imagine how much is lost when it it gets to the wheel. Worst yet, if you have slapped on 17inch rims like I have.<P>The parts are small and weak throughout the entire engine. The pistons won't handle more than 60 horses max if you're careful. so you have: 88+60=148<P>Is that enough HP to justify spending the amount of money required to install a custom turbo? <P>My goal has always been to get my car up around 220HP. It doesn't look like the B6E is up for big boost. I have spent around $6,000 so far in repairs, equipment, turbo stuff, labor, bla bla bla. I still can't finish my project. I've blown all of my budget. <P>My personal project has been a complete failure thus far.<P>I have to stop and re-think the plan and perhaps attempt the B6T swap. The BPT swap is just too logistically complex for me.<P>It's cheaper at this point to just get a Miata and buy the $1600 Greddy Kit and I'll be a 220HP in about 3 days.<P><BR>Think hard and learn from the rest of us before you start spending a ton of money. That's what this site is all about.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.fbassociates.com/mx3" TARGET=_blank>http://www.fbassociates.com/mx3</A> <P>I'm down... but not out.<P>RF
White 1992 MX-3 RS Turbo<BR>"Live Boosted or Die!"
Swego

Post by Swego »

I'm saving some $ to turbo my 1.6 soch. My plan is to get 130hp out of the engine with a vj14. Anyone knows how much torque I can expect to have at 130hp? Cause if I can't get more than 115 lb/ft, I think I'll go and buy a GS!<p>[ May 06, 2002: Message edited by: Swego ]
Swego

Post by Swego »

<p>[ May 06, 2002: Message edited by: Swego ]
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

you know, there's an edit tab to fix mistakes :D <P>out of curiosity, why are you in search of 130hp? all this hard work to only come out with 130hp. how much is this setup going to cost you? why not save up to do a motor swap? this of course is just my opinion. good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
Swego

Post by Swego »

Well, I did'nt know the mx3 had only 88hp when I bought it. Should've bought the gs. I don't want to end up with 200hp and not being able to use all of it without being a danger to the public and myself. I would also like to do most of the work myself: to learn more about my car and to reduce costs. Swapping an engine is out of my capabilties right now. I am still in the information gathering process of this projet so I might change my mind if I find someone knowledgeable who would like to swap the engine with me.
renef

Post by renef »

to learn about the engine, repairs, maintenance, customizing, etc. The MX3 is a great lttle car to work on. The engine, electronics and internals are very forgiving.<P>I've made some mistakes, but overall the mods have been easy to make.<P>So, I take away the learning experiences from the MX3. Just not enough power to make it into the winner's circle.<P>Learn on the MX3, make your mistakes, fix everything, sell the car. Get a sports car.<P>These are my plans. The MX3 has definitely been fun to work on regardless of my turbo project failing.<P>RF
White 1992 MX-3 RS Turbo<BR>"Live Boosted or Die!"
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

it might not be a good starting point but your going to spend tons of money to be competitive. why spend 20 grand on a supra when you can put 10 into an mx3 and kick its a--? personally i dont think the mx3 looks as good but people will be suprised when you beat him.
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”