Putting a 12A rotary engine in an MX-3.

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Josh Fxcking Blair

Putting a 12A rotary engine in an MX-3.

Post by Josh Fxcking Blair »

Could it be done? I've heard of someone putting a 13B in, but it was too much power for the car. I was curious as to what a 12A would do. I think it'd be kind of sweet.
My anti-drug is <I>bourbon</I>.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Putting a 12A rotary engine in an MX-3.

Post by Custommx3 »

MX3 is FWD, rotory motors/trannys will not fit without maaasive modification. would be cheaper probably to buy a used rx-7 and drive that.
renef

Post by renef »

No, wait. I disagree.<P>I think that the project is very doable. Consider the costs of a 12A or a non-Turbo 13B. They are not very expensive. The turbo part is the most expensive part.<P>The second major detail of this is the transmission and conversion to rear-wheel drive. It sounds very complicated but in reality, this kind of thing is done every day. Consider the vast number of rotary-powered little Starletts and Datsuns that have been converted and make mad power. The welding and cutting is not something you would do on your own. <P>There are entire frame kits for rear wheel drive conversions. I looked it up. The best source for info is <A HREF="http://www.mazdatrix.com." TARGET=_blank>www.mazdatrix.com.</A> These guys know what's up and would be a good source of experience and mod info.<P>You need to make a list of all the parts and necessary steps. then you just total it up to see what the total $$$ hit would be.<P>The FINAL part is the electronics, ecu and gauges. How do you convert the speedo and other gauges? I would hope that since the parts are Mazda, there would be a way to do this easily.<P>and RX7 ECU would do the trick.<BR>an ACCELL engine management system works too<P><BR>Would it be worth 4 to 6 grand to do it? I personally would say yes. I would go for it. It's not something extraordinary and overly expensive considering the cost of RX7's in good condition...<P>I like the MX3 chassis and I would love a rear-wheel rotary hiding underneath. WOO HOO!!!<P>RF
White 1992 MX-3 RS Turbo<BR>"Live Boosted or Die!"
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Easy as in 3-day job or more like 3 month? Well you make it sound so easy but parts here in the U.S. aren't alway easy to come by and price isn't that cheap, yes your looking at spending 4-6 grand, but have you ever thought what you could do with that much on a 4cyl or V6. You could make some major hp for that much money. Best bet, don't waste your time with the rotary.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Converting to RWD means alot of custom fabrication. That means months of just getting the car together, and then it will never handle the same as it did before, because you have to redesign the entire rear suspension. I'd say a conservative estimate would be 10000USD for a 13B/RWD conversion in a MX-3.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
renef

Post by renef »

Yep, you guys are right. I went and started looking at prices and how much something like this would actually hurt (literally and figuratively).<P>here is what I got in response from MAZDATRIX.COM:<P>"Easier (and cheaper) to do a tube frame chassis and then put on whatever bodywork you want."<P>They looked at me like I had a second head growing out of my neck.<P>I must be the only one that believes that it can work. I must stop smoking that funny tobacco. I might just do it just to see how far I can get...<P>...never mind. Just get me a B6T and I'll shut up.<P>RF
White 1992 MX-3 RS Turbo<BR>"Live Boosted or Die!"

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”