New clutch?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mmonid

New clutch?

Post by mmonid »

When driving along, I can push the gas down, the car revs up, but does not go any faster. This is probably the clutch. First question - is it adjustable? I am wondering if it is just loose and can be tightened up, and get rid of the slipping. Second question - if the clutch cannot be adjusted, what is a good aftermarket clutch to go with that is a little more agressive than stock, but not very expensive (I don't think I will be putting too many mods into the engine).<P>Thanks
Matthew Monid

1993 MX-3 RS 5-Speed (Sold)/1997 Volvo 850 AWD Turbo 5-Speed
mx32nv

Re: New clutch?

Post by mx32nv »

I was planning on posting this same question myself. My situation is a bit different. I changed my stock clutch at 90,000 miles with a Clutchmaster ( which I am very pleased with ) but I'm a little bummed out because my car is 123,000 and it is starting to slip already. 2 and 3rd gear are the worst, 4th and 5th don't seem bad at all right now. <P>Do aftermarket clutches wear quicker or is it just my driving? The RMP's go up much quicker but the car does not move any quicker. I don't go racing at every stoplight or anything like that.<P>By the way I have the 1.6L SOHC and if I remember I paid about $270 for my clutch. I've been very happy with it though. The installation will get you though because I didn't know anyone so I had to let the local mechanic put it in. Sorry for the long post.
Troy<BR>Richmond, VA
MA12KOS

Post by MA12KOS »

hey i just replaced my clutch too. i got that same clutch u got but my friend and i installed it. so saved some money. you said it slipping already? I have about the same miles u have. are u grinding gears? maybe u need to replace the clutch fluid. u stay in richmond? i stay about an hour n half from u.
MX-TREME DREAM

Post by MX-TREME DREAM »

Yo! Whats up? I checked out a bunch of different clutches before I decided to by a A.C.T. stage 3 clutch. I plan on doing a BPT swap this summer and I wanted a clutch that would be able to handle a turbo. I was told that the clutchmaster clutch either blew up or wore out fast. My A.C.T clutch rocks! It costed me $378. and installed it myself. It grabs hard enough to chirp 3rd gear. Have a good one.<P> Mike C. :p
CAMPBELL
pulse101

Post by pulse101 »

when installing a new clutch, especially a performance one, break in period is key. the first 500 miles should be stop and go, low RPM driving, to properly seat the clutch plates to the flywheel. otherwise, you will prematurely wear the clutch.
1992 White MX3 1.6l SOHC
- For Sale - 105,000 miles / 3,000 miles on engine
- Original B6 Bored 2 Over
- Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch
- Short Shifter
- Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors
- KYB GR-2 Shocks/Struts
- Steel Braided Front Brake Lines
- Reverse indiglo gauges and carbon fiber trim
- Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars
- 17" Sumitomo Tires on Anthracite/Chrome Loco Wheels

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”