I cant get my 93 mx-3 to fire.. Help!!

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
cj45_70

I cant get my 93 mx-3 to fire.. Help!!

Post by cj45_70 »

I have a 93 mazda mx-3 and I cant get the car to start at all. It will crank over but not fire and ive replaced the ingnition coil, distributor, spark plugs and the plug wires. Any help at all would be taken with greatfulness and thanks.<P>P.s. It all started after i changeds the clutch assembly. :(
Bossman247

Re: I cant get my 93 mx-3 to fire.. Help!!

Post by Bossman247 »

Man I am having the same problems too my mechanic has no idea how to get it to fire. He got a new distributor but no luck there, a new coil didn't help and now he is trying the ignition module.
92 mx3 precidia, blaze red outside,<BR>with blazing goin on inside!<P>Don't drive drunk, drive baked ;)
MX3FromLondon

Post by MX3FromLondon »

Hey CJ... misery loves company... just posted my same symptoms on the 4cyl tech board... engine cranks, fuel O.K., primary ignition is OKay (there is power to the distributor) but no 'pulse', i.e. no spark timing to the cylinders. Sure seemed to be distributor (a common weakness with these cars), but we have tried 2 replacements (in case first replacement was faulty. A new coil was tried. A different ignition module was tried. (Yet another module is on order.)<BR>Still won't fire.<P>For your situation, the most common problem is the distributor, for which there are no purchaseable replacement parts... used are scarce, and rebuilts will cost you about $250. USD (about $400. cdn). These cars do not have a crank position sensor (apparently) so that is not the problem. If the next ignition module attemt doesn't solve our probs, I don't know what is next.<P>For you, from what I have heard (but hasn't accomplished a damn thing yet, so not worth much), try a distributor.<P>GOOD LUCK. WOULD REALLY LIKE TO HEAR HOW YOU MAKE OUT, AND WHAT THE ULTIMATE PROBLEM WAS.<BR>I'll post any positive news here too. <P>Please, SOMEONE OUT THERE, if you had similar problem, WHAT WAS IT, & HOW FIXED?! :(
rayrrod

Post by rayrrod »

timing belt???
MX3FromLondon

Post by MX3FromLondon »

Still no go here. Going to try to get a new ignition module (computer). Engine mechanics are O.K., i.e. timing belt, compression, cranking, have tried 2 different distributors (the usual source of the no ignition on MX3's), a new coil etc. but no dice.<P>Seems we get spark to the distributor, but it is not getting out... i.e. 'no pulse'...<BR>so if the computer module doesn't fix, then I guess we have a wiring problem, a short or running to ground... a real nightmare to track...<P>Electronic ignitions... what a pain when they go south...

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”