B6T or BPT, that is the question!?!...

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
looney_71

B6T or BPT, that is the question!?!...

Post by looney_71 »

I have the 1.6L SOHC 4cyl. with the fwd automatic transmission in my 1993 Mazda MX-3. It looks like the B6T would bolt up fine, right? What all mods would I have to do to make it work? Will I need a new ECU and all of the electrical wiring? What about the transmission. Will that work? I can tell that the BPT would be great for the swap, but really expensive. Someone please give me some info before I buy the engine, and you can email me at looney_71@hotmail.com...Thanks in advance for all of your time....and if you have a price range, let me know... :)
I'm starting to build my webpage on my car and should have it done within the next couple of weeks...I hope you take the time to check it out!
-=deathtrap-mx3=-

Re: B6T or BPT, that is the question!?!...

Post by -=deathtrap-mx3=- »

you can't use the automatic tranny on any other engine. they suck in the first place. swap a manual in it and then examine your finaces. a b6t will be a much cheaper and easy swap compared to the bpt.
Looking for a 94+GS for KL-ZE fun :)
02 Protege DX Retired
93 MX-3 RS Gone But Not Forgotten
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

i'm not sure about easier. it seems that the b6t has it's complications as well, but it would definitely be cheaper.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
texmx3

Post by texmx3 »

I will tell you this b6t the reason being is cause of the summer months you will want your a/c I would imagine. But you need to look at your budget and do your reasearch before you buy. Cause there are several options you will need to look into and were you want your mx to be.
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

a few things: The BPT doesnt have a/c?<BR>Whats the difference between the BPT for 1000 and the bpt for 1800 on cork sport besides the 30 hp difference?<BR>I also have been wanting a swap and now face the BPT or B6T problem.
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
Devilman13

Post by Devilman13 »

About the bpt no a/c thing. Why is this, not enuff room or a power problem (like would it run at a lower psi)?
>>
texmx3

Post by texmx3 »

the reason is texas the summer is very hot and he or she may want the the a/c on the motor. The other point is that then a/c/ may bolt up from the mx-3 orginal motor. It is a prefernce issue you can make serious power with either motor it is were you want to be
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shady469:<BR>[QB]Whats the difference between the BPT for 1000 and the bpt for 1800 on cork sport besides the 30 hp difference?<BR>QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>LOTS :)<P>just get the GTX engine, as its much easier to get, and you wont be on a year long waiting list for the GT-R motor. Unless you plan to get the car into the 10s, there isnt much point.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
natural born honda killer

Post by natural born honda killer »

id like to know why you cant use the ac on the BPT??? any info would be great. im doing this swap this summer but definately want the ac also especially down in texas it sucks.
jeremy cline
95 MX-3 RS
The only BPT GTR MX-3 in Texas!!!

man iraq sucks!!!
texmx3

Post by texmx3 »

it will not fit from what i have heard or seen on the mx-3 with out alot of fabrication. The B6t for my car is fully loaded and with a/c and power steering and I am not trying to get any lower than 12 in the car so why go through the hassle. Most cars past 12 sec barrier are not dily drivers any more do to wear and parts breaking nor do they have a/c. As i have stated before the b6t can be built up 300+ hp with a stand alone mine will have that and a little more it is just being tuned for driving and then will be taken to a dyno a couple of times for fine tuning.to hopefuuly have 350 to the ground with out my NOS system 4 fogger to be in by June with cams and a limited slip. You should send me a line to see were it and how it can be done.
maldo

Post by maldo »

Just so everyone knows, you can't have a/c on the B6T if you want a performance downpipe. The 2.5" and 3" designs from Larsen Motorsports and Chris Y's pipes don't allow the use of the compressor. In order to maximize flow they need the room. Larsen is making a dp that can be used with a/c but it appears to pinch slightly more. For those wanting big power, say good buy to your a/c. There really isn't much you can do. Switching to a new dp will make good power and increase spool up time.<P>Sorry to burst everybodies bubble.<P>Check out <A HREF="http://www.larsenmotorsports.com" TARGET=_blank>www.larsenmotorsports.com</A>
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

No a/c?? Ahhhhhhhhh!!!! Crap I will have to figure something out then. I loooove my cold air! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maldo:<BR><STRONG>Just so everyone knows, you can't have a/c on the B6T if you want a performance downpipe. The 2.5" and 3" designs from Larsen Motorsports and Chris Y's pipes don't allow the use of the compressor. In order to maximize flow they need the room. Larsen is making a dp that can be used with a/c but it appears to pinch slightly more. For those wanting big power, say good buy to your a/c. There really isn't much you can do. Switching to a new dp will make good power and increase spool up time.<P>Sorry to burst everybodies bubble.<P>Check out <A HREF="http://www.larsenmotorsports.com" TARGET=_blank>www.larsenmotorsports.com</A></STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Shoalinfist

Post by Shoalinfist »

Not to be an a--, but screw a/c. I never use mine. Hell I plan to take it out. All you need is shorts, t-shirt, bottled water, and the windows down. Now that is the s---. I can't think of anything better on a hot day. Oh yea, And the sun roof open (just popped up, and not all the way back. It's to keep the sun out of your eyes.) :D
texmx3

Post by texmx3 »

Maldo, sorry but I have the a/c on my b6t fully funtioning at with a custom performance down pipe that cost only 150 dollars and is 3" all the way including the muffler no cat to the muffler. I don't think it is possible on the bpt but who thought the rotary would fit in the mx-3.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Hey tex,<BR> Got any pics? and where did you get your downpipe from? I would love to see some pics of your intercooler and project. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by texmx3:<BR><STRONG>Maldo, sorry but I have the a/c on my b6t fully funtioning at with a custom performance down pipe that cost only 150 dollars and is 3" all the way including the muffler no cat to the muffler. I don't think it is possible on the bpt but who thought the rotary would fit in the mx-3.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”