RS 1.6L DOHC ??

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Turboge

RS 1.6L DOHC ??

Post by Turboge »

Hey guys I'm looking to swap one of the MX-3 motors into my Ford Aspire pretty soon. I have been reading up on the SOHC 16V and the DOHC 16V and I am trying to find a good DOHC w/ Harness, ECU and MAF.<P>I don't want to put the B6T in yet because of certain class breaches for auto-x/road racing... If anyone has any of these laying around I'd be interested in a possible deal with some extra 1.8L GTX motors I have.<P>Current Figures:<BR>205whp @ 5000rpm<BR>260lb-ft @ 3750rpm
Braden
"The Original Turboge"
http://barelylegaltransplants.com
OsoSlo z28

Re: RS 1.6L DOHC ??

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

would it be an even swap or would there be an exchange of money as well? also, is there a way to get the 1.8 harness in return?<p>[ January 02, 2002: Message edited by: cre8v mx3 ]
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
Turboge

Post by Turboge »

Depends on how complete and what condition the motor and everything is in.. I have a Protege LX ECU/Harness/VAF right now, but sourcing the GTX ECU/Harness is quite a bit more difficult.. I can get everything but shipping from New Zealand is expensive for those items.<P>I ran my first motor off of the LX ecu and it was very very fast, but I got too ancy and turned up the boost without adding any kind of fuel or retarding the timing so it went poof.... Been Haltech E6K since, didn't want to deal with piggybacks..
Braden
"The Original Turboge"
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

i have a sohc with nos. just took out everything including wire harness and comp. puts out around 200 hp with the nos. the kit is a fogger system.
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

won't the protege harness plug into the b6 ecu? reason is, my motor is still in the car, but i'm doing the swap in march/april and to swap out the harness is a pain and i don't have the means to do it(the swap) myself...so that equals more money. i'm planning on using a pro ecu with the b6 harness and a piggy back setup. does the gtx have a maf or vaf?
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
Turboge

Post by Turboge »

Don't think it does.. it'd be a mess trying to wire it all up. I know my BP-05 ecu has two large connectors on it and a relay. I have the entire harness and the ecu available.
Braden
"The Original Turboge"
maldo

Post by maldo »

Nice to see you came to the party Braden. <P>The Pro LX ecu will plug into the MX-3 RS wiring harness, no cutting or splicing required. How do I know? I did it. The combo of the Pro LX ecu and injectors and FC3S MAF make for one fast MX-3.<P>Braden, my offer still stands on the SOHC if you want it. Again, the motor is worthless to me so my price is quite negotiable.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

oh. cause i was told the pro ecu plugs into the b6 harness, so i thought it might work the other way around. you have a complete harness(engine and in-cab) or just engine? cause i don't think the engine harness will connect to the firewall for the in-cab harness
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
Turboge

Post by Turboge »

So you run the DOHC 1.6L with the 1.8L ECU and use the 1.8L Injectors and the RX-7 VAF. Isn't the 1.6 Distributor different than the 1.8? Do you get any check engine lights? I just don't see how the power comes from swapping ecu's to something that thinks it has larger displacement.<P>I could use the SOHC motor but shipping from canada plus paying for it would be more than picking it up from my local importer..
Braden
"The Original Turboge"
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

i believe since he has the b6t, the pro ecu adds more fuel than the b6 ecu would allowing it to balance out the air/fuel ratio instead of running lean.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
Turboge

Post by Turboge »

Ah, B6T, thats right. What size are the B6T injectors stock? I know the Protege LX is 210-230cc... And the stock GTX is 330cc.<P>They are all too small for decent power. I switched to 450cc and got closer to peaking them around 25psi.<P>The 330cc were only good for approx 13psi with normal fuel pressures.
Braden
"The Original Turboge"
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

is that with using your stock pump and a regulator?
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
Turboge

Post by Turboge »

I am using a walbro 255lph pump and stock fuel pressure regulator. I see about 50-52psi max pressure at the rail. Idle is 38-42. It goes up 1 psi per 1psi of boost. But around 15psi it doesn't seem to go up anymore which i believe is the regulators problem.I don't plan on upgrading to a RRFPR anytime soon, this seems to work well.
Braden
"The Original Turboge"
maldo

Post by maldo »

I am using the Pro LX ecu to run the larger Pro LX injectors because it will have better control over them than the sohc ecu. Everything is a plug in and seems to work. Fuel system needs some work but I think I can get away with getting a rrfpr for the time being. I will most likely add a 255lph pump to the mix too. I get a bit of stuttering at high rpm running 14psi. May end up getting a set of resistors from Flyin' Miata so I can run the larger B6T injectors.<P>The distributors are probably different, sure is different than the old vaccum advance style on the GTX. I don't get any check engine lights. I occasionally get one for the VICS but the B6T isn't equipped with that.
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

Braden, goto sccaforums, and check the links about your swap. David Avard posted and it looks like it might be legal, even for the B6T...id talk to David asap.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”