BPT Swap

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
NoGenocide

BPT Swap

Post by NoGenocide »

How much difference in HP, Torque, and gass milage we talking in a BPT from a 4cyl. DOHC? I hate to fix my engine up (which I just sorta did) and replace it, but I am doing s--- for hp. I am all about some heavy revving and power. Give me your opinions if you have the time, thanks! :D
ProtegeSTS

Re: BPT Swap

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brett P. Hall:<BR><STRONG>How much difference in HP, Torque, and gass milage we talking in a BPT from a 4cyl. DOHC? I hate to fix my engine up (which I just sorta did) and replace it, but I am doing s--- for hp. I am all about some heavy revving and power. Give me your opinions if you have the time, thanks! :D</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Not exactly sure what you want to know, but the BPT can easily be made to push 300+ hp on stock internals. Redlines is at 7000, but if youre pushing lots of boost, you're gonna need a bigger turbo to flow enough air mass.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
NoGenocide

Post by NoGenocide »

How big a turbo we talking? I am new to all this engine/customization stuff. I want an economical yet powerful engine that will be somewhat easy to swat with my 4cyl. DOHC.<BR>Thanks :D
azmtbkr81

Post by azmtbkr81 »

On a similar note, does anyone know what is a reasonable horsepower expectaion for an MX-3 that can still be driven comfortably on the street? I hear a lot of talk of people attempting to get these B6T's to pump out 400 and 500 horsepower but I'm guessing that would be difficult to control in daily driving situations. Also, does the added weight of intercooler, turbo, and piping alter the MX-3's stock handling characteristics? :p
'94 Blaze Red RS<P>I may not have a lot of horsepower but I know how to use it!
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

are you asking the difference between a bpt and dohc 4cyl? your stock motor(assuming it's a dohc) and the bpt are both dohc. as long as you don't go boosting around town all day, your gas mileage wont be too bad. it's going to get worse because you will have a bigger fuel pump and and need more fuel, but it won't that bad.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
NoGenocide

Post by NoGenocide »

Yes, the difference between the two, as I afore stated. Not just the milage though, the hp and torque. Thank you.
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brett P. Hall:<BR><STRONG>Yes, the difference between the two, as I afore stated. Not just the milage though, the hp and torque. Thank you.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Difference between what two motors?
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by azmtbkr81:<BR><STRONG>On a similar note, does anyone know what is a reasonable horsepower expectaion for an MX-3 that can still be driven comfortably on the street? I hear a lot of talk of people attempting to get these B6T's to pump out 400 and 500 horsepower but I'm guessing that would be difficult to control in daily driving situations. Also, does the added weight of intercooler, turbo, and piping alter the MX-3's stock handling characteristics? :p</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The cool thing about a turbo is that if you dont try to go fast, you wont. Turbos run off of exhaust gas mass, and therefore, unless youre giving it lots of throttle, it wont build boost. <P>As far as daily driver, 250whp would not be hard at all on a BPT, and maybe around 225 with a B6T. Thats being conservative, and it really depends on what you think "streetable" means. <P>Also, the stuff doesnt add that much weight, and you could always relocate the battery to the rear to get 40lbs back there to balance it.<P>As far as what turbo to run, it really depends on your intended uses. Thats what it really depends on...what you want from your car.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
NoGenocide

Post by NoGenocide »

Difference between a Bpt and a 94 Mx-3 Stock 4 cyl. DOHC<p>[ December 13, 2001: Message edited by: Brett P. Hall ]

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”