new tranny?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
david103

new tranny?

Post by david103 »

i gotta 94 1.6 dohc. i think the transmission is about on its last thread. i have almost 120k miles on it. i'm also planning on doing some major engine upgrading after a rebuild and would like to put a stronger tranny in there to carry the extra workload. is there one out there? i hope? childers or something like that comes to mind, but i have no clue.<P>thanks<P>dave
bayoumx-3

Re: new tranny?

Post by bayoumx-3 »

get a 94 protege tranny. i know you can switch the manual transmision out with the protege transmission which is supposed to be better than the mx-3's but I don't know if you can do that with the auto
Live hard, drive fast, back down to no one.
david103

Post by david103 »

i shouldve clarified, i have a manual.<P>dave<P>thanks though
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bayoumx-3:<BR><STRONG>get a 94 protege tranny. i know you can switch the manual transmision out with the protege transmission which is supposed to be better than the mx-3's but I don't know if you can do that with the auto</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Might want to point out that the 90-94 Proteges came with 3 different trannies, depending on model. Only the DX model tranny would be able to find onto the MX-3s, and im about 95% sure its the same as your current tranny. The LXs came with the G series tranny, like the GS MX3s, but with a different case. There was also a AWD model in 90 and 91, with a very weak AWD tranny.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”