Spark Plugs and Wires

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
fuzzpimp

Spark Plugs and Wires

Post by fuzzpimp »

I am thinking of getting Ngk IX iridium Plugs and NGK wires, Im throwing this out here to see if anyone has a prefrence in spark plug (which one is best). And Wires too (whats the points in buying $145 wires). So wich plugs and wires does everyone like best????
Raivynn

Re: Spark Plugs and Wires

Post by Raivynn »

Are iridium plugs and performace wires worth the money? I've heard they've worked wonders, and my car needs new spark plugs/wires pretty soon. I think I may have a dead cylinder as it stands (one of my spark plugs/wires ticks really bad, and as I rev the engine, the ticking is faster), so, this is something that will need to be done in the near future. >_< More money that I don't have, especially around the holidays.
Raivynn

Post by Raivynn »

$15 wires will last HOW long, and help my car HOW? I wouldn't waste my money on something like that. Plus, I'm not even sure if it's the spark plug or the wire, or the distributor cap! So, I'm letting my boyfriend take my car into the shop and figure it out...run diagnostics, and see just what is wrong with it. Y'know, you should take better care of ANY car...and not put cheap parts on them. They tend to last longer.
david103

Post by david103 »

there is minimal amount of power to be made with aftermarket plugs and wires. wires are basically just a dress-up item since the stock ones will handle your power load just fine. plugs may increase gas mileage and any lost hp from older plugs, but any gains aren't worth the extra money. unless you want to say you spent 50 bucks on them...<P>dave
codene

Post by codene »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>(one of my spark plugs/wires ticks really bad, and as I rev the engine, the ticking is faster), <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>]i had the same problem. its just a lifter valve. take the valve cover off, run some transmission fluid on top of the sticky valve and let your car idle. then replace and youll be fine. or just buy a quart of rizone (says it frees lifter valves) and put it in w/ your oil. after 100 miles the ticking will stop.
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/mail_cory_here" TARGET=_blank>Codenes Car</A>
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by daverman:<BR><STRONG>there is minimal amount of power to be made with aftermarket plugs and wires. wires are basically just a dress-up item since the stock ones will handle your power load just fine. plugs may increase gas mileage and any lost hp from older plugs, but any gains aren't worth the extra money. unless you want to say you spent 50 bucks on them...<P>dave</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>To back him up here.....plugs and wires do ABSOLUTLY NOTHING for your car. The only reason why anyone sees any sort of power or mpg gain is because they waited too long to replace the old ones. <P>The only good thing about the Magnecore wires is that they have a lifetime warranty, so you dont have to change wires every 2 years, but even then, you'd have to have your car like 8 more years to make up the difference.<P>Plug wise, the +4s are crap. Nobody has seen any power increases, and its a big waste of 60 bucks. NGK coppers are the way to go at 1.59 each. Again, if you want them to last long, get the NGK platnums, as they will last longer, but they are also like 5 bucks a pop. No better though, just longer lasting.<P>Dont believe me? prove me wrong with some hard evidence that isnt just replacing old, worn out, improperly gapped plugs with fresh "high performance" plugs.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Rich MX3

Post by Rich MX3 »

Beru Silverstone spark plugs seems to work the best with the MX-3 but they are expensive. Well worth it as far as performance goes. If you're looking for good cheap plugs, go with NGK V-Groove plugs. Haven't tried any of the platinum plugs so can't comment on them. If you're looking to replace the wires, definitely go with NGK. Just my opinion.
Richard Y.<BR>'94 Black GS<BR>Stock V6, minor mods
fuzzpimp

Post by fuzzpimp »

just Got my new plugs and wires, NGK Iridium IX, and Ngk wires, Im putting themm on tonight

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”