Odd noise, can't find the problem!!!!

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Brainless

Odd noise, can't find the problem!!!!

Post by Brainless »

Since I've put on my new wheels and tire on my RS, I'm getting an odd noise (something like...tic tic tic) when I turn sharp at low speed (in parking for example). My wheels are nothing special (stock from a GS) and the tires are 205-50-15. The tires doesn't seem to be rubbing against anything. I can't tell for sure where the noise is comming from but I think it's from the rear ones.<P>Anybody have an idea?
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
5spd_GS

Re: Odd noise, can't find the problem!!!!

Post by 5spd_GS »

maybe a rock or a nail or somthing stuck in your treads?
Calen Sansom
1994 MX-3 GS Sparkle Green
k2stp

Post by k2stp »

I would be willing to bet that your problem is your axel(s). Have you ever replaced them? what happens is they will develope little cracks in the boots and then the grease will leak out. once the grease is out you will hear a tic (or click click) while starting out and when turning at low speeds. this goes along with what you said it was doing. pretty easy to check-just turn your wheels all the way to one direction so you can see back behind the actual wheel the drive shaft(axel) will lead to the center of the wheel. just look at the boot on the end of the shaft and see if there are any cracks. do this on both sides. tell me what you find.
I wasn't born to drive I was born to work, but I got laid off;)
Shades

Post by Shades »

If you put new tires (as in rubber) on your car you will get a strange noise. That is if I understand you correct. There will be little rubber things (like little hairs) sticking up from your tire... they make a wierd sound especially when going around corners and going slow. You can sand 'em off or just live with it. Hope I answered your question.
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by k2stp:<BR><STRONG>I would be willing to bet that your problem is your axel(s). Have you ever replaced them? what happens is they will develope little cracks in the boots and then the grease will leak out. once the grease is out you will hear a tic (or click click) while starting out and when turning at low speeds. this goes along with what you said it was doing. pretty easy to check-just turn your wheels all the way to one direction so you can see back behind the actual wheel the drive shaft(axel) will lead to the center of the wheel. just look at the boot on the end of the shaft and see if there are any cracks. do this on both sides. tell me what you find.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Both of them seems to be of...no leak. I really don't know what to do...beside have it check by a mecanic.
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
MazdaGirl

Post by MazdaGirl »

My bet would be one of your CV joints/shafts. Check it out, I had the exact same problem. But don't get taken, it should cost you no more than $ 160.00 to fix.<BR>Hope that helps because I guarantee that's what it is.
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

Thanks, I'll check that out.
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
RiP401k

Post by RiP401k »

do you get that noise when you got staight also, cause i got hte same problem rite now, but mine is coming from the rite front wheel and does a squeaking noise till i get pass 40 k<P><BR>just curious for my sake<P>;-)<P>later
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

I had it fixed yesterday and it was the CV joint.
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
MazdaGirl

Post by MazdaGirl »

It's nice to be a chick and be right for once!!!! :) :p

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”