Belt Squeeling - Nightmare. (PLZ HELP)

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Swego

Re: Belt Squeeling - Nightmare. (PLZ HELP)

Post by Swego »

Had the same problem after I installed my A/C. My A/C belt was a little loose. When you want to tighten it be sure to loosen all of the tightening screws (I think there are 2). I also used some kind of spray that prevents belt sliping.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

DO NOT USE SPRAY ON SERPENTINE BELTS. These belts are tricky to get tight. After you loosen the adjustment bolts tighten the belt up until you cant rotate the belt about 1/4 of an inch. This means you pull the belt over itself. If you dont understand lemme know. It sounds kinda wierd but thats what you do to solve it. When I changed over to a GS alternator I had the same problem. Good luck!
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Get a Goodyear Gatorback belt and tighten it like I said and you shouldnt have any problems. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by keymaker:<BR><STRONG>Well, Wish me luck... Ima have it looked a today with your suggestion in mind.. One guy told me if there's any liquid ie oil on there thatll cause it but I dont see any... And it could be one of the pulleys are becoming too hard to turn.. and it could be too loose... But, It's at least TWICE as tight as the other belt, and the other belt doesn't make any noise.... ALSO after it squeels and smokes, the alternator pulley is always hot enough to almost burn me but the other two aint very hot, ie I could hold my finger on them all day.... What do you think I should do, since im broke?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

try the next size up. prolly half inch. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by keymaker:<BR><STRONG>The bad news is, The alternator seems to have a bad bearing so that *seems* to be causing it.. You wouldn't BELIEVE how tight the belt was..With the alt all the way back they still had to force it halfway on with a screwdriver and then turn the pullies to force it on.. Had to cut it off and MY GOD WHAT A f---ing b---- IT CAN BE to get that alt out.. I had to jack it up and take the wheel off! I'll get one of them gatorback belts like you said.. Thanks for the tip. The other belts f---ing suck. BTW: Since the specified belt is wayyy too tight, I want to get a longer one.. Should I go a 1/2 inch longer, 2 inches, or what?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
94RS

Post by 94RS »

Had a similar problem, going through alt belts. Problem was the pulley was out of alignment, the alt was a rebuild and the shaft was improperly shimmed on the inside of the alt casing. Solution was to grind off the back of the pulley to get it to line up. Check and make sure your pulleys are all in line. Only takes a mm or two to cause a problem.
bronzeboy

Post by bronzeboy »

I hope you figure this problem out. Sounds EXACTLY like what I have been going through with my 94 RS. Finally had the Mazda dealership replace everything (belts, pulleys,water pump)$900.00 and it still squeals, exactly like you described it. All I think left is the alternator and air conditioner compressor. Of course now I'm broke and still have a damn squealing car. Please post your progress on the alternator. Good luck dude.
roly_39

Post by roly_39 »

Wow, same problem here. Going through all kinds of alternator belts over the last year. Changed the alternator,didn't stop. I'm changing the water pump pulley tomorrow. We got to thinking that was probably the problem, especially after watching the engine run today for about 15 minutes. We noticed that all the pulleys turned so straight, except the water pump pulley. It wobbled a tiny bit. Hope this works. Because it used to be 1 belt a month, but now it's worse. I put a belt on Thursday, but only tried to drive the car today. Went well for about 1 minute, then blew the belt. I'm so frustrated, that '95 Integra GSR for sale around here is lookin pretty good right now. :p
White '95 RS<BR>Kicker-equipped

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”