Temperamental coolant leak.

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Raivynn

Temperamental coolant leak.

Post by Raivynn »

I have a *minor* coolant leak (as in, if i don't add water to the jug at least once a week it's empty), and I was told that replacing my water pump would make it quit. It was also recommended to change out the radiator/heater hoses/seals and thermastat. It's not the heater core (it's been tested), and it runs hotter than normal. Any other possibilities? (And yes, the head gaskets are fine, too - the coolant/oil is not mixing.) <BR>I'm looking at $700 for maintenance and to fix this leak. (Maintenance: New belts (including timing belt), new hoses, radiator flush (which hasn't been done in years I'm sure), and stuff like that.)<BR>Thanks in advance for your help.
shanerboy77

Re: Temperamental coolant leak.

Post by shanerboy77 »

Well where is the coolant leaking from. Is it the water pump? Or one of the hoses. What about the rad. Find out where the leak is first and get back. Cuz you don't want to over heat the motor cuz than it will cost you big time. Trust me it happend last month
S.B.77
Raivynn

Post by Raivynn »

It's near the right fenderwell, and the water pump was one of the suspicions of the mechanic who looked at the car. I was just wondering if there might be something else wrong, but I'm betting it is the water pump. If it isn't, then who knows.<P>Thanks. ^_^
shanerboy77

Post by shanerboy77 »

there is one other thing to look for. In the front of the block is a pipe that runs to the water pump see if that is leaking. Our get a pressure test done on the cooling system.
S.B.77
shanerboy77

Post by shanerboy77 »

there is one other thing to look for. In the front of the block is a pipe that runs to the water pump see if that is leaking. Our get a pressure test done on the cooling system.
S.B.77
Raivynn

Post by Raivynn »

There was a pressure test done, and it didn't show anything -- sometimes it leaks, sometimes it doesn't. When I say my car is temperamental -- I MEAN IT. X.x;; She's just....unique. I'm gonna figure this out, and I think we all have pretty good ideas to fix her.
gators

Post by gators »

hey man i had a similar problem mine finnally overheated then 2 days later i had a golfball size hole in my water pump. they said it might have been caused by the radiator cap not keepin the pressure in but i'd figure it out before u have to get the pump fixed
If u ain't riding fast!<BR>Your probably on a bike!!!
bslenderpeak

Post by bslenderpeak »

A good way to be sure of what's actually leeking is to drain the coolant, and put a thin film of gasket shelac around the inside of your hoses(If you have a lot of miles it could be the waterpump) this is a good $3 way to see if it's one of the hoses or if it's the pump. anyway put the stuff on, put water in the car and run it for a day( don't let the straight water stay in there with the winter coming up). If the water leaks out still in the same spot passengers fenderwell than you know you need to put a water pump in it. If you do it youself you'll save yourself alot of money too for a simple part change. :eek:
'95 Blue Creek Mica RS<BR>Vermont
tk1138

Post by tk1138 »

I'm having a similar problem. I've taken off the timing belt cover and it looks like I've got a slow leak from the water pump, or right behind it. The problem I'm having is getting the lock bolt and boss off the crankshaft, and draining the radiator (I can't find the drain plug) If anyone knows how to do these to things on a 92 RS, PLEASE e-mail me: nexus@dance.vg<P>thanks<BR>tk1138
tk1138<P>There's not really anything I want to say over and over.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”