Gutting the cat.

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Shady469
Supporting Member

Gutting the cat.

Post by Shady469 »

I don't know about you guys but it looks like I've got 2 cat.'s. I've got a 92 1.6 sohc. I was wondering : due you think if I gutted 1 of the two it would still pass inspection? I live in Va. and the rules aren't too tight but I'd like to know. I plan on getting a High flow cat and running 2 1/4" piping all the way back to an arospeed bomb muffler. But this gutting stuff is for the time being.
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
MX3Chick

Re: Gutting the cat.

Post by MX3Chick »

You do have two cats. One in the front and one in the back. I think that Vaughn said on the mailing list that it would be bad to gut the cat on the 1.6L because that engine thrives on back pressure and gutting the cat would get rid of alot of back pressure. He also said something about not putting a big diameter piping on either. Can someone back me up on this? David Coleman, Jeffs?
Megen Murphy
'11 Hyundai Sonata
94 MX3 RIP 9/8/04

Wanna cookie? ;)
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

I have a 92 rs 1.6l sohc and there is only one cat you must be talking about the dohc version that came into the market later on. that one has one in the header, and one in the mid pipe. Well anyway i took mine out and it sounded horrible with little to no performance gain, so i put it back in. hope this helps. jamie
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
93mxrgs

Post by 93mxrgs »

hmmmmm well guys i have a 1.8 and on mine the other cat lookin thing is actualy a resonator, that makes ur car QUIETER the one is front is ur cat, although i could be wrong here i think u just have a resonatior on there
Black-93 mx-3 Gs-R<BR>with goodies :) :)<BR>Hondas suck, and yes i race them...<BR>oops i mean no no i dont
Alt-Tab

Post by Alt-Tab »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 93mxrgs:<BR><STRONG>hmmmmm well guys i have a 1.8 and on mine the other cat lookin thing is actualy a resonator, that makes ur car QUIETER the one is front is ur cat, although i could be wrong here i think u just have a resonatior on there</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Of the 3 "things" in the 1.8L V6 exhaust system, the first is the cat, the second (mid-car) is the resonator, the last being the muffler. I watched the muffler shop take my resonator out, saw the inside, and replaced it with a new one when I got my straight pipes put on.<P>Also, Megen, I'm pretty sure that Vaughn did say something about the cat on the I4 being necessary for backpressure. Don't quote me though.
Taylor<P>1995 Chevy C1500 Dark Blue<BR>* 305 (5.0L V8)<BR>* Hypertech Performance chip<BR>* Dynomax dual exhaust<P>SOLD: 1995 Dodge Dakota Sport - Flame Red<BR>* 3.9L V6 - 175 hp<BR>* Flowmaster dual exhaust<P>I Miss my MX-3:<BR>1992 MX-3 GS Blaze Red
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

I gutted out my cat on my 1.8L and it sounds pretty nice. I notice a little power gain, but nothing overwhelming...good luck Image
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
liquidleo

Post by liquidleo »

I gutted my cat also...while putting my monza catback on. It was either that or replace it, because it completely fell apart inside. This inturn made my car run like crap at high rpms, since peices of ceramic were flying around in there and getting stuck in the opening.... As far as pass emissions, well lets just say they told me they hed never seen any one fail all three test!<P>Oh yeah, I have a 93GS 1.8L
liquidleo /93 GS Red
bslenderpeak

Post by bslenderpeak »

I have a DOHC 4cyl and was replacing a cracked front pipe that goes between the two cats, and I noticed the second one was chunky(as they can get)knowing that there are three layers in there I busted out the crappy looking layer towards the front of the car, cleaned it out and it was a lot smoother. I recomend against gutting the whole thing because of noise and backpressure which is a must with these smaller engines.
'95 Blue Creek Mica RS<BR>Vermont
ddmalcore

Post by ddmalcore »

nopt only does gutting your cat lose backpressure, but ut also SLOWS DOWN exaust flow... gutting your cat is extremely not recomended. i cant think of an easier way to lose hp, torque, at least $100, legality, and time. not good at all.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”