Smell gasoline under hood

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Bbqman218

Smell gasoline under hood

Post by Bbqman218 »

I have been smelling gas under the hood lately and its more than usual. The engine is quite hot towards the back of the motor near the throttle body side and with the smell of gas, I Dont want a fire! How do I set the Throtle Body's Air/gas ratio back to factory settings? And the same for the stop on the accerlerator bump stop that has the treaded screw with the torx fitting in the center with the 7mm lock nut. Your help is Mucho Appreciated!
finchuck

Re: Smell gasoline under hood

Post by finchuck »

i dunno how to fix it but the same thing happened to my friend and one time he turned on the heat, and when we stopped the whole engine went up in flames. the car was considered totalled... be mad careful!
<A HREF="http://www.finchuck.com" TARGET=_blank>Finchuck Online</A>
Raivynn

Post by Raivynn »

Is it possible your fuel injectors are bad? I know that the 300ZXs had recalls on their injectors (made the whole car smell like a boat!).<P>Just an idea -- don't know if I'm wrong or right, and chances are it's the first one. ^_^<P>------------------<BR>-- Zoom Zoom Zoom -- The spirit of the sports car.
GuyverXL

Post by GuyverXL »

I had the same problem, but mine was leaking gas thru the gas filter it wasen't properly on.<P>Replaced the filter and hoses, and it seems fine now.... mind you still getting s--- milege, the next thing is having someone look at the fuel injectors....Dammm
Mazda Mx-3 1996<BR>4cyl
renef

Post by renef »

if all looks normal and the filter is ok,<P>you need to check you O2 sensor. Especially if you're not getting good gas mileage<P>a quick trip to Pep Boys fixes the problem.<P>The OEM O2 sensor is very expensive.<P>RF
White 1992 MX-3 RS Turbo<BR>"Live Boosted or Die!"

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”