More HP?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
RanMan

More HP?

Post by RanMan »

I just thought that I would share a little tip that might help some others as well. Of course the MX-3 runs pretty good from the factory. No doubt that most of you have done at least something to the engine/exhaust/intake to get some more power. Here are a few tips that you might not know (then again, you may) on how to get the most out of your engine. Most people shrug off the idea of a gain of 1 or 2 HP, but if you do a few of these 1 or 2 HP gains, they can add up to some nice gains. Anyway, here we go:<P>1.) Run Fully synthetic oil in your engine (such as Mobil 1). It helps to reduce friction which in turn extends the life of your engine, gives a little HP boost, and provides better protection at higher temperatures. <P>2.) Make sure that the Throttle cable is tight (leave a little slack). If your throttle cable is loose, then your throttle body cannot open to Wide Open Throttle (WOT). I was buffing the headlights on Zoom24's car and I noticed that there was some slack in the throttle cable (I'd say there was probably about 1/4 inch of slack). I took two wrenches and backed off the nuts from the bracket and then took the slack out. Be sure to leave just a little slack or else your idle will be higher. This little trick (that took a whole of 5 minutes) made a noticable difference at WOT and also gave me a little increase in throttle response. <P>3.) I'm not sure if this is possible on the MX-3 or not (it might be). If the timing is not controlled by the distrubutor position, then you might be able to rotate the distributor to advance the timing a degree (maybe two) and then use Premium fuel (at least 92). This is usually good for a few HP, but I have never tried it on an MX-3. The ECU might control the timing.
-=deathtrap-mx3=-

Re: More HP?

Post by -=deathtrap-mx3=- »

r u going to the texas meet? if so, can you please bring those wrenches and look at my throttle body?<P>------------------<BR>93 MX-3
Looking for a 94+GS for KL-ZE fun :)
02 Protege DX Retired
93 MX-3 RS Gone But Not Forgotten
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

Well, I am for sure going to the Texas meeting (in fact, I am the one that suggested the meeting at the Drag Wars because I was going there anyways). I will be happy to check out your throttle cable. As for the wrenches, I will try to bring some, but cannot make any promises. I will probably forget. It is really easy to do.

Post by Guest »

..<p>[This message has been edited by SmaMitches (edited August 10, 2001).]

Post by Guest »

you goin to be able to take a peak at mine to see if you have any ideas for me? Mine has the Hard idle like quite anumber of people are having at the moment. It goes away slightly if I put it in park or Nuetral.<P> I know you still wanna see the races and all , But if you could that would be great, and if not, Thats cool too. Chris
-=deathtrap-mx3=-

Post by -=deathtrap-mx3=- »

well i have the hard idle, if that's the vibrating from under the hood. i thought the vibrating was from the a/c compressor shaking against the engine bay. i'm pretty ignorant right now with my car, so that's why i keep posting all of these questions.<P>------------------<BR>93 MX-3
Looking for a 94+GS for KL-ZE fun :)
02 Protege DX Retired
93 MX-3 RS Gone But Not Forgotten
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

In the past I have been going to the races to see the cars, but this time, I will be focused more on the MX-3 and talking to you guys/gals. It is hard to find people who have MX-3's that are fixed up around here. I would be more than happy to look at your cars, but I cannot guarantee anything. I am not a mechanic (although my dad is, so SOME of it rubbed off on me). The best I can do is to check it out and give you my opinion, but like I said, I might be way off base because I am not a mechanic. If my dad goes, perhaps I could ask him. He went last year. He has a Chevy Vega that runs 9 seconds in the quarter. I prefer the imports, but it is pretty fun to see my dad win also. Unfortunately, he is like most people his age and thinks that a 4 or 6 cylinder engine cannot match a V8. I think that he is opening up more to the idea of small displacement performance seeing as how it is getting so popular and NHRA even has import division now. Anyway, I would love to check out your problems and try to answer any questions that you might have. Two heads are better than one (unless they are both attached to the same person...hehe).

Post by Guest »

GET OUT!! A Chevy Vega??<P> That was my first Car, a 1972 sedan, Booger green, We called it the Rooten , tooten Green Machince, Aw I miss that car!<P> I really have to go to drag Wars now!!
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

Ha Ha Ha....what a great name!!!!<BR>I look forward to meeting everyone on the 18th.
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

Has anyone had the chance to do/check any of these suggestions? Did it help? Let me know. Is anyone else using all synthetic oil?
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Hey, <BR> All i use is synthetic oil. Quaker state in the engine and Red line in the transaxle. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RanMan:<BR><B>Has anyone had the chance to do/check any of these suggestions? Did it help? Let me know. Is anyone else using all synthetic oil?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><P>------------------<BR>Jarid Perry<BR> 94 Blaze Red RS<BR> 14.62@99.4<BR> Now with NOS
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”