swapin heads??

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
jojo2k23

swapin heads??

Post by jojo2k23 »

Is it possible to swap my sohc heads and replace them with dohc?If so do i have to replace my intake manifold as well as the throttle body,etc...???
Cybin

Re: swapin heads??

Post by Cybin »

I was thinking about this to. Sohc to a DOHC. <BR>Just need the right donor car. I'm thinking everything should fit, plus I think gude makes cams for the DOHC, so that with some polish and porting would bring it to at least 110hp with out any other mods. Can anyone shed some light? PLEASE<P>-Oliver
Thestef

Post by Thestef »

Unfortunatly I dont have some light to shed.<P>But I also have a 1.6L SOHC mx-3, and I was asking myself the same question ????<BR> <P>
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Hello,<BR> What you guys need to do is go get a head gasket for each motor and make sure the water and oil galleys are in the same place.<BR> Also you are gonna need a dohc timing belt. I am pretty sure that the harmonic balancers are different but I dont think youre gonnna have to swap em. Ummmm I am sure there is more to change but I dunno, there is my two cents.... <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thestef:<BR><B>Unfortunatly I dont have some light to shed.<P>But I also have a 1.6L SOHC mx-3, and I was asking myself the same question ????<BR> <P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><P>------------------<BR>Jarid Perry<BR> 94 Blaze Red RS<BR> 14.62@99.4<BR> Now with NOS
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Cybin

Post by Cybin »

Step ahead of you. Went to the Mazda dealer in town and the DOHC and SOHC have different head gaskets. Although he won't pull them to check to see if the oil/water hole match up sooo, I still wonder. Anyway I found an DOHC in my town for only $350 with only 16k miles on the clock. Engine swap time I can feel it. Anyway working out the electronics, Any gurus? I check the chilton manual and they seem the same right down to the connectors. The engine should bolt in since they share the same block only thing different is the head. What the performance of the DOHC anyway. I know it's better then the SOHC but by how much?<P>Any help?<BR>Thanks<BR>-Oliver
mendel00985

Post by mendel00985 »

Lots!!!
maldo

Post by maldo »

The wiring will be the same, possibly a few differences between connectors.
jojo2k23

Post by jojo2k23 »

can ne 1 find out for sure,it'll be a big step on our engines.
Bbqman218

Post by Bbqman218 »

I tell ya, Cybin has somthin workin in his mind, I found him a 95 dohc, and from the posts I m guessing he has a sohc.
Cybin

Post by Cybin »

Yea thanks for finding that engine. Right in my backyard also. At school tomorrow I'm going to print out some pages from the on-line manual and compair them to my chilton manual. This should be pretty damn close from what I can tell. Does anyone know the figures for this engine. I'm guessing around 100hp or so, This may not be much but it's 10hp more then what I've got plus it's a better engine to upgrade. I thinking I can bring it to 150hp with mods. Wishful thinking but hey. Did anyone follow the Nissan Sentra build up they did in Sport and Compact car? <BR>The car started with 90hp and they built it up to 140+hp. Thats our cars, Think about it fun to drive but underpowered. <P>-CyBiN<P>BTW: I'd do a B6T swap but it seems SO messy.
fuzzpimp

Post by fuzzpimp »

I got a DOHC, my friend has a SOHC and his s--- is faster whats the deal with that??
jojo2k23

Post by jojo2k23 »

I HAVE A SOHC AND TELL YOU THE TRUTH ITS FEELS FASTER THEN THE DOHC OR MAYBE HE DIDNT KNOW HOW TO SHIFT.BUT I PERFER THE DOHC WITH A BIGGER THROTTLE BODY.
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

jeff abrams told me since the sohc and the dohc have the same torque and that is what give you power.....it is better for some reason<BR>
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
Cybin

Post by Cybin »

Okay after checking out the computer and wiring diagrams....nothing will fit. Mazda seems to have made the computers completely different. The engine will bolt in, but the computer/wiring is different. The reason I wanted to swap engines was becouse there are more parts avaliable for the DOHC then the SOHC. This leaves me with a depressed feeling. The car is going to have to go this coming spring. What else can I do? I should get something with a turbo, yup.<P>-Cybin
pakix2000

Post by pakix2000 »

I don't think it can be done, it was discussed on the egroups and the general consensus was no, also the wiring between the dohc and sohc is very different.<P>I know you've heard this before but best bet is the b6t

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”