brake noise

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mx32nv

brake noise

Post by mx32nv »

I just recently had my brake pads replaced but now I get this "grinding" sound whenever I slow down to a complete stop. It only happens when I come to a complete stop ( not if I'm braking going around a curve or something ). It's not really that loud ( you can only hear it with the radio off ) but it is noticable. Having just had the pads replaced, what could this be?<BR> <BR>Thanks<BR><P>------------------<BR>Troy<BR>93 1.6L RS Teal
Troy<BR>Richmond, VA
mendel00985

Re: brake noise

Post by mendel00985 »

If the discs were'nt turned[milled on a lathe or milling machine] before the new pads were installed, the new pads are being worn[that noise that you hear] to the surface contours of the disc; if they were'nt turned, try a light sanding w/ sandpaper[not a rough grade]to remove the residual material left behind by the other pads Note: Do this w/ the car on stands, it's easier to rotate the disc while you sand good luck. Manny<p>[This message has been edited by mendel00985 (edited July 30, 2001).]
mx32nv

Re: brake noise

Post by mx32nv »

If I don't do the sanding will the noise eventually go away once the pads have "taken shape" to the disks?<P>Thanks<P>
Troy<BR>Richmond, VA

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”