What is the best way to get my car to 90 Mph.

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
sixsmith

What is the best way to get my car to 90 Mph.

Post by sixsmith »

Basically I do a lot of highway driving but I found that my MX-3 seems to need about 10 mph more than what it wants to give. I can get the car up to 90 but it is running about 4000 rpm's anyway to get that rpms down to 3000? I was thinking about a computer upgrade, but I'm unsure if that would effect long-term performance. So any ideas?
sixsmith

Re: What is the best way to get my car to 90 Mph.

Post by sixsmith »

Basically it is the DOHC (94) 4-cyl. And I have a standard, but the car just revs so high, that I want a way to increase horsepower, so the revs are lower with the car able to crease performance for long trips. <P>Thanks.
sixsmith

Post by sixsmith »

Sound to me like it might be my transmission, or my clutch. I'm just not getting the same kind of performance your getting. Basically I think the engine is working too hard at speeds above 60mph. Its doing about 60mph in 5th gear at about 3200 rpm. What are other people getting?
Prosthetic

Post by Prosthetic »

I have noticed that the engine revs at 4000 RPMs at about 90 MPH. I have a 92 RS and I can get to 75 in third gear, and have maxed at 115. After 3rd, its pretty slow getting to 100. Everything is stock in mine. Hey anyone know what the stock HP is on a 1.6L SOHC? I heard it was around 88. Is that right!?!?!?!? Thanks.
renef

Post by renef »

90? 100? I don't know guys. There may be a problem somewhere. <P>I had a 93 automatic and I could get it to peak at 124. It took a long stretch of road to do it, but I could repeat it. The trick was in using the overdrive button and shiftin 1-2-3 to redline each time....<P>My current car (White 92 RS) has pushed 130 limiting in 4th and pushing 6000RPM in 5th. And that was when it was sans turbo.<P>It also took a while to get to that speed, but I did it. Scared as hell, but I did it.<P>RF<BR>
White 1992 MX-3 RS Turbo<BR>"Live Boosted or Die!"
finchuck

Post by finchuck »

we have an overdrive button? where is it at? is it that hold thing? i cant get it going that fast. i have a stock 92 gs. i get up to 100 max but i dont have that much road around here. does anyone know the max speed for a stock 92 gs?
<A HREF="http://www.finchuck.com" TARGET=_blank>Finchuck Online</A>
renef

Post by renef »

The OVERDRIVE button on the automatics:<P>If you're in normal driving mode, it doesn't do anything until 60MPH. Hit it at just above 60 and the engine gives you a tiny bit more.<P>If you're gonna beat the crap out of your car and don't care (like me), hit the button at the next stoplight, switch to first gear, floor it on green.<P>Shift gears right before redline<P>I hope you know a good transmission mech<P>Go buy a car with a manual transmission<P>Try not to get killed<P>RF
White 1992 MX-3 RS Turbo<BR>"Live Boosted or Die!"
mxcowboy

Post by mxcowboy »

Let me think about this...isn't the transmisson just a bunch of gears that change the gear ratio between the engine and the wheels. If you want your car to go faster with less rpm you have to change this gear ratio. New tranny perhaps, or just throw the biggest diameter wheels on your front axles. That should do the trick.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

the auto has NO overdrive button .. its the hold button, <BR>do NOT use it @ high speeds. you'll tear up your transmission. its made to swich gears faster @ low RPM for better traction control and for going down hills.<P>------------------<BR>Barry Clark<BR><I><B>Moderator</B></I><BR>1995 Mazda Mx-3 RS<BR>Chaste White<BR><A HREF="http://www.barrykclark.com" TARGET=_blank>barrykclark.com</A> <BR> custommx3@usa.net
sixsmith

Post by sixsmith »

So from what I am hearing, there are two issues.<P>1) A govenor on the engine to slow it down. <BR>2) The trany is another reason for slower top end speeds. <P>Then what is the fastest cheapest solution?
hijst

Post by hijst »

i have a 93 1.6 that is manual and i got mine to reach between 130 and 140 mph. all i have done is intake, excust, chip, and ignision<P>------------------<BR>
Sinistral

Post by Sinistral »

Sup!! I have a 95 V6 And you Said That:<P>the auto has NO overdrive button .. its the hold button, <BR>do NOT use it @ high speeds. you'll tear up your transmission. its made to swich gears faster @ low RPM for better traction control and for going down hills.<P><BR>So If I was you.. I need to stop using it.. I mean stop using the hold buttom?? Cuz When I use it.. My car go faster.. But you said that I can Broke my transmission.. Is That True!<P>By the way can we change a automatic transmission to a manual.. And how much could that s--- cost?<P>Thanks
fieval79
Supporting Member

Post by fieval79 »

I just thought I would share that I have a 94 RS and I've had mine to 142mph. I don't know if why mine went so high, considering everyone else I've talked to online says the mx has a govenor at around 120 (or close).<P>John Van Camp<BR>94 white RS
Frenchguy0

Post by Frenchguy0 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that thestock 1.6 4 cylinder engine has 88hp and the V6 9sorry guys, no offense) has 135 hp stock.<P>------------------<BR>Frenchguy0<BR>'92 GS Emerald Green<BR>crenia@hotmail.com
Frenchguy0<BR>'92 GS Emerald Green<BR>crenia@hotmail.com
sixsmith

Post by sixsmith »

depends on the year. The 94 has about 105 hp in the 4cyl.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”