Spark plugs

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Lil Ruby

Spark plugs

Post by Lil Ruby »

Hey guys, I am long over due for a tune up. What kind do you recommend? And they really improve acceleration gas mileage, etc. If I got to spend money, I might as well get the best Image
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Spark plugs

Post by Custommx3 »

Ahh a fellow tennesseean!<BR>Well how may mlesdo you have? and what year is your car?<BR>if your over 60k, its time for a timing belt change ( thats about 250 bucks from mazda) and new wires and plugs. If your @ 75k, and have an auto tranny, I'd change that tranny filter.<P><BR><P>------------------<BR>Barry Clark<BR><I><B>Moderator</B></I><BR>1995 Mazda Mx-3 RS<BR>Chaste White<BR><A HREF="http://www.barrykclark.com" TARGET=_blank>barrykclark.com</A> <BR> custommx3@usa.net
MX394RSR_JMCB

Post by MX394RSR_JMCB »

Spark plugs certainly won't make your car a powerhouse...however if they are very old they will bring better throttle response and better fuel milleage!!! I recomend NGK of course as it is the stock plug, don't fall for the beru plugs cause you will only see a difference with a aftermarket ignition system which you would normally put on a high output engine to see a difference!!! NGK g-power or whatever NGK platinum tipped plug is probably the best you can buy!!!!!<P>please do yourself a favor: <BR>-DON'T buy bosch for a japanese car(mechanics will tell you) bosch = german and some american.<BR>-DON'T buy splitfire - american <P><BR>NGK is the way to go for the mx3!!!!!!
Jean-Michel Basque
Lil Ruby

Post by Lil Ruby »

My baby is about to hit the 90K mark. I replaced the timing belt around 70K. I checked with Mazda only thing that hasn't been done for the 90K service is tune-up and replacing the fuel filter and maybe having the fuel injectors cleaned. Totally off the subject but is there such a thing as an engine flush? I have heard of a radiator flush and even a transmission flush. Enquiring minds want to know Image
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I did what they call a "motor vac" which is a machine that cleans out the intake maniflod and the motor it was a local "co-op"<BR><P>------------------<BR>Barry Clark<BR><I><B>Moderator</B></I><BR>1995 Mazda Mx-3 RS<BR>Chaste White<BR><A HREF="http://www.barrykclark.com" TARGET=_blank>barrykclark.com</A> <BR> custommx3@usa.net
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Ever had that urge to dig up a 5 year old thread and post in it?

:oops:

Anyways, this actually might come in handy... I didn't know there could be such heated debates about what kinda spark plugs to put in one's car, haha!
Well, this isn't a heated debate, but I've seen some that are :S

Plus, it features posts from 3 tennesseeans, makes me like this thread a lot!
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
corbanbrook

Post by corbanbrook »

SplitFire Triple Platinums, put these in my car and noticed better fuel mileage immediately. fuel economy.org did a spark plug shootout, and these came out on top. Beating out NGK.

They have a patented fork design to expose more of the spark. Cost more the n your regular plugs but if you want the best these rock.

http://www.splitfire.com/triple.htm
92 MX-3 1.6L 4 Cyl SOHC
MPG: 21.5city/38hwy
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

NGK V-Power...Same plug used by most all the Pro Top Fuel & Funney cars. The V shaped electrode throws the spark to the outer edge of the ground electrode...probably where split fire got their design. The differance is the NGK plugs don't colapse like the split fires are notorious for doing in extreme heat. The NGK single Ground electrode is stronger and covers less surface area than the split fire electrode giving more direct spark kernal exposure to the air/fuel mix in the cylinder. They are also a lot less expensive than the split fires.

Platinum plugs aren't all there cracked up to be either. Example...I put my NGK V-power plugs through over 7,000 miles of use in my 500HP B6T. They are still in great shape for any other cars usage...I'm keeping them on hand as a back up set. The electrode insulator has a slight tan color to it indicating the cars state of tune was impecable. This is on pump gas with the STOCK B6T plug heat range and 22-26psi of boost daily. Even with me getting on it a lot the car still averages 24+ MPG.....I cruise at around 16:1 AFR with EGTs averaging around 950*F (EGTs measured at turbine outlet). At WOT EGTs peak at around 1300*F (conservative state of tune as my turbo can take blasts at 1600*F due to it's Inconnel turbine). This enviroment is HELL on spark plugs and the NGK V-Power ( I don't really like any other plug but the V-Power for design reasons) have well proven there ability to perform flawlessly! The only other plug I'd consider as of this time would be the Accel U-Grove plugs because its the same design just turned upside down.

NGK V-Power plugs; .028-.032 gap on forced induction engines
$1.77 per plug

We've ran gaps as large as .065 on a NA BP with over 30* of spark advance....It was taking mustangs all motor :wink:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”