If you ever thought of flushing your own radiator...

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Edwood

If you ever thought of flushing your own radiator...

Post by Edwood »

<I>Be very careful!!!</I><BR>(Aside from burning yourself.)<P>I successfully flushed the radiator of my 1.6L MX-3. But not with problems.<P><B>The "drain cock" screw for the radiator is made out of plastic. I found this out the hard way, as I stripped the phillips head (luckily in the closed position).</B> :eek:<P>After a lot of swearing, I ended up doing it the quicker and messier way. Using a wrench, pull off the c-clamp holding the big hose leading to the engine on the left side (when you are in front of the car facing the front bumper). The one at the engine is easier to take off. On my MX-3, the C-Clamp on the radiator is facing down, so you have to be under the car to get to it. Pain in the @$$.<P>When you pull it off, be ready, as all the coolant will quickly come gushing out. (you did remember to let the engine cool down, right?)<P>At this point you might as well replace that hose and clamps with new ones, as you've just pulled it off.<P>Hope this helps someone to not strip the plastic drain-cock screw as I did.<P>-Ed
"Tell me what you eat, and I'll tell you what you are."<BR>-Brillat Savarin
amadho

Re: If you ever thought of flushing your own radiator...

Post by amadho »

Thank you very much, this helped me. I spent 2 hours trying to find the damn thing. I was looking for a tube drain. Thanks.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

someone post this in V6 FAQ
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

How does pulling the upper radiator hose do anything? You're only going to get a liter or two out of it that way. You need to drain it from the bottom to get nearly as much coolant out as you need to to consider it anything near a flush.
FlyingMXer

Post by FlyingMXer »

After about twenty minutes of looking I gave up trying to find a drain plug on mine. I pulled the main hose on the bottom left side (facing the car). It had a spring type clamp on it so I just slid it back on after letting the old drain out. Top off with new and you're done.

Later,d
Later, D
92 4-banger (totaled unfortunately. Current ride is 2001 Mustang GT)

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”