running power from battery

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
marshmallow15

running power from battery

Post by marshmallow15 »

how would i run power directly from the battery to the interior?
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
Sonicxtacy02

Re: running power from battery

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

uh i'm assuming you mean how to run a power wire from the battery to the inside of your car. Look straight back from the battery and you'll see a rubber grommet on the firewall. Poke it through and feed the wires through there
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

and do i just connect this wire to the positive terminal or the negative terminal on the battery?<P>thanks for the advice
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

if its a power wire (red in color) then you hook it to the positive terminal (red in color). Dude if you dont know this much i strongly suggest you have someone else do it. Dont kill yourself!
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
5spd_GS

Post by 5spd_GS »

this REALLY depends on what it is you are running wires in for..<P>switches? lights?<P>i have under-dash neons and interior switches that i have running wires out to my battery...<P>i strongly dont reccommend doing anything with power from the battery unless you know what it is you are doing... but here are a few pointers..<P>1) you ONLY connect power wires to the positive terminal on your battery, which should be clearly marked..<P>2) you must ground one of the wires , otherwise you will have zero power to anything..<P>if you are runing something through a switch, then you must have one wire connected to the battery, then one of the prongs on the switch. the other prong on the switch to a ground source, such as a bolt under the hood, but nothing that is plastic or painted. <P>Gonna need some more info on what it is you are doing... but just be careful ok??
Calen Sansom
1994 MX-3 GS Sparkle Green
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

i want to run power from the battery to a switch connected to a neon light. if i have one wire to the switch from the battery, then one other prong connected to a ground through a switch, do i just plug in the 12v wire from the neon to the third prong? because the neon has two wires.
- team slideways
codene

Post by codene »

ground out the neon directly to any bolt or metal touching the chassis. then run positive to your switch.
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/mail_cory_here" TARGET=_blank>Codenes Car</A>
5spd_GS

Post by 5spd_GS »

if there is a third prong on the switch, its most likely one of those clear/red switches right? it has its own light in it.. ignore the third prong (it will be a different colour, probably copper coloured, than the other two prongs)
Calen Sansom
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

thanks a lot codene and 5spd....that cleared up a few problems earlier today why the neon installation didn't work...those last two tips also cleared up some problems i'm having now. let me try it tomorrow.
- team slideways
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 5spd_GS:<BR><STRONG>if there is a third prong on the switch, its most likely one of those clear/red switches right? it has its own light in it.. ignore the third prong (it will be a different colour, probably copper coloured, than the other two prongs)</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>yea there is a third prong on the switch...those transparent switches that are colored. i'm guessing it's the middle one that i have to ignore because the light bulb is right behind it. the prong is the same color as the other two.
- team slideways
5spd_GS

Post by 5spd_GS »

i dont think its the middle one you need to ignore, at least on the switches i have, so you will want to use the two silver coloured prongs, but then again i have no idea what exact swtich you have... if there is a copper coloured prong that is the power for the light, you dont need that one.. but im sure you will figure it out!!
Calen Sansom
axess

Post by axess »

If I remember correctly, when switches have 3 prongs, the middle one can be positive or ground and let either the left or right be the other wire, the only difference will be on wich side the switch will be on and off. I don't think you can get it wrong really, cause all a switch does is stop the current or continue it...<P>good luck!
Stephane '96 Blaze Red RS
5spd_GS

Post by 5spd_GS »

very true.. all a switch is actually doing is interrupting a flow of power
Calen Sansom

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”