And they said it couldn't be done.

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
pills_PMD

And they said it couldn't be done.

Post by pills_PMD »

it's now 9:32 eastern standard time and myself and my friend just finished installing a new black headliner in my 92 mx-3. we purchased the actual headliner material at a local fabric store for $7.97 a yard. it was a fairly easy procedure. now i have completed my all black and white interior design. i don't have the sun visors done yet, but i am taking them to an upholstery shop tomorrow, the same place that is doing the chairs in my room, but anyway. he's going to match them to the headliner. i hope it turns out sweet!. if anyone wants to do it, and has any questions hit me up at pills_PMD@yahoo.com<P>adam pilchak<BR>92 clear white <BR>now it's loud.<BR>
<A HREF="http://www.hondaswap.com" TARGET=_blank>hondaswap.com</A>

Re: And they said it couldn't be done.

Post by Guest »

when you cut the fabric, you didnt, by chance, make a pattern of the cutout did you?<P>------------------<BR>-------------------------<BR>1992 Mazda Mx-3 GS<BR>Brilliant Black<BR>1.8L DOHC V-6 5 Speed<BR>-------------------------
HeatherChellette

Post by HeatherChellette »

Did you recover the seats, too, or were they already the color you wanted them. I'm wanting to custom make seat covers for my <BR>93 GS. I was planning on taking the material to a good seamstress I know, but I'm not to happy about ripping off the cloth and making a pattern. If you did recover yours, do you have a pattern?<BR><p>[This message has been edited by HeatherChellette (edited June 28, 2001).]
Heather
voltaire

Post by voltaire »

I know this is an old thread, but ANY tips, resources, etc. on replacing the headliner in the '93 GS would be greatly appreciated!<P>I don't really want to use cloth fabric if I can help it. I was thinking of some sort of thin vinyl. My '91 CRX has the type of headliner I wish all cars came with. It's thin vinyl on a molded foam backing. No possibility of sags and much more burn resistant.<P>My current headliner is full 'o burn holes, although it's mostly on the panel under the sunroof. If I can find one the same color (light brown, tan type color) I might just replace that instead and save myself the hassle.<P>Speaking of sunroofs, does anyone have the type of sunroof with glass in it? I was looking at buying a used one to replace my regular, non-glass sunroof.<P>Thanks,<BR>fisaza@directvinternet.com
masonholmes
Supporting Member

Post by masonholmes »

Err, why do you have a bunch of burn holes in the headliner?? You been driving through alotta fires, or do you just like to use it as an ashtray? As for the sunroof, no MX3's came with power, glass sunroofs, and the ones that came with the pop-up style, look to have slightly different deminsions, (although I could be wrong on that). No cars that I've been able to find have the same cutout, which means you'd have to have one custom made. The last time I checked on that, the shop wanted $500 to make one and install it for me..somthing I'll probably do at some point, if I ever have the "spare" money, heh.
1993 MX-3 ~ SE * 2.5L Swap'd
1993 RX-7 ~ Rotary Performance Built
1996 MX-5 ~ M-Edition * Topless, Daily Driver

masonholmes@hotmail.com
voltaire

Post by voltaire »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by masonholmes:<BR><STRONG>Err, why do you have a bunch of burn holes in the headliner?? You been driving through alotta fires, or do you just like to use it as an ashtray? As for the sunroof, no MX3's came with power, glass sunroofs, and the ones that came with the pop-up style, look to have slightly different deminsions, (although I could be wrong on that). No cars that I've been able to find have the same cutout, which means you'd have to have one custom made. The last time I checked on that, the shop wanted $500 to make one and install it for me..somthing I'll probably do at some point, if I ever have the "spare" money, heh.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Mostly drunk friends, but I admit to one particularly nasty one when I went to ash my cig out the sunroof having forgotten that I'd just closed it. And then, this is the kicker, I stopped at the next light and wanted to inspect and agonize over the damage and turning on the dome light didn't light up the sunroof headliner, so I got out my lighter to illuminate the burn. Well, let just say I learned that felt doesn't like flames, even from like 4 inches away. And since my interior is the Dark Taupe color, any marks at all show up. So that incident yielded a nasty burn that actually put a hole straight through the fabric and then a nice dark singe mark about the size of a quarter from the lighter. Doh!<P>That's why I wish all headliners were like in my '91 CRX, (again, sorry to mention that here) which has a molded vinyl headliner. I'd like to switch my entire headliner for something a lot more resistant than felt and that looks like it's gonna be a pain in the butt. <P>As for the sunroof thing, I saw a guy selling a sunroof from a '92 MX3 that must have had two layers since it had glass on the inside and the exterior layer the same color as the car. Now that I see what you say about them being different sizes, I'm glad I didn't end up getting it.
pocket rocket

Post by pocket rocket »

Sounds like a good time to quit smoking!!

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”