Crazycandians KLG4 swapped autocross beast

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
crazycanadian

Re: Crazycandians KLG4 swapped autocross beast

Post by crazycanadian »

Well I have been keeping this under wraps for a while... I was hoping to wait until the new toys arrived but its just to exciting to keep wrapped up..

I borrowed a friends set of rims and tires for test fitting a while ago.. :)

Oh there will be cutting involved.. :)

Flairs will be made...

A 15mm spacer is needed..

Tight clearances to the control arm and tie rod at full lock as well..

The 275's look pretty massive when put next to my 205 dunlops..

At the end of the day 6UL's in a 15x10 are few and far between... So Rob and I found an appropriate substitute.. We have on order some 15x10 Jongbloeds for the front and 15x8's for the rear... They are only about 1lbs heavier then the 6UL's and around the same price.... We are wrapping them in 275 hoosier A6's in the front and 225's in the rear... The rims are estimated to arrive this month.. Hopefully they do so that we have sometime in june to cut the fenders and breaking in the new set up at a couple events before we head to National Tour in Packwood July 4th weekend...

A preview picture of the rims...
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

Well some good news... Some bad news...

First the good news.. The car got some new brakes today... Hawk HP plus pads up front, Portfield R4-S in the rear.. Some Goodrich stainless lines and new rotors...Also the brakes fluid was flushed out.. A good note to remember... Check your brake fluid regularly... I had flushed mine out about 3 years ago with ATE super blue.. When I tested it today, the moisture content was over 4% but the fluid still looked new...

Ok now on to the bad news.. The rims Rob and I have on order still haven't arrived.. Rob has been in touch with the guys supplying them and they have no news from the manufacture on when they will arrive.. At this point I think Rob and I are going with our back up plan.. Order up some new 225 Hoosiers and run them on the rims I already have..
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

Great picture of the car from the last event...

SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Yes, great picture!

... where is the picture again?
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

It's from the vcmc autocross event that was on April 27th. .. Some video and a couple pictures coming from today's autocross event..
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I actually meant.. where is the picture... I can't see it.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

Yesterday's event went pretty well except for one miss hap.. The course was really hard on the left front tire.. at the end of Robs third run we noticed the left front tire hard corded..

We made a quick tire change in the grid, swapping the front tire for the rear so that I could finish my last run.. During our lunch break Rob and I took a closer look at the rest of the tires and saw a couple more that were close to the cords. .. for our afternoon runs we had to switch bad to street tires..

Rob an I have decided to order up some 225s and run them on a set of 15x7 rims he has for the rest of the season.. at this point we have no faith in getting the Jongbloegds in time to scrub them in and be ready for national tour.
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

Well the new 225 Hoosiers came in earlier last month. They arrived just in time for me get them installed and test fitted before the June 1st event. This event went really well, Both Rob and I can see why they call Hoosiers purple crack. The grip levels were amazing with new fresh rubber on the car.

The course was pretty difficult to drive, both my self and my codriver struggled the whole day. It was still promising though as we finished 13th over all in pax, out of 86 drivers. The class I run in has some tuff competition though. I finished 5th in the class.

The new hoosiers were great to get a better judge of tire wear and suspension set up. Tire temps were pretty even across the face of the tire, but we noticed some excessive wear on inner half of the tread. After talking with some locals it looked like I might still be running to much castor, or I have a dynamic toe change problem.

For the next event, I took all the castor and camber out of my upper strut mount. Removing the camber from the upper strut mount reduces my SAI, changes my scrub radius, and also changes how my toe changes while the car is rolling over.

So now I went from 4.75 deg castor, down to 3 deg. For camber I used the adjustment in the lower strut mount and maxed it out at -3 deg.

We also discovered that the rear didn't have enough camber in it. only half the tire was really being used. So I maxed out the rear adjustment at 2.5 deg.
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

This bring us to last event I ran. With the new alignment set up the steering on the car felt lighter with the reduced castor. Turn in didn't quiet feel as sharp. The car still performed great. We had 1 hic-up. My codriver blew up the passenger outter CV axle on his 3rd run during our morning heat.

My codriver and I took his car, drove an hour and a half round trip to my place. We picked up my spare axle, and some tools to change it out at the pad. Once we got to the pad we set out to change the axle. We were almost defeated by the axle nut after breaking my co-drivers breaker bar and twisting the head on mine. Borrowing an electric impact was enough to get the nut to crack loose and were in business. We managed to get the axle changed out in time to make our afternoon run group.

During the afternoon run group I set my best time of the day. This was good enough to take 8th place pax out of 98 drivers. The kick in the nuts. It was only good enough for 5th place in my class. Talk about tough competition.

At the end of the day I had one of our local guru's look at my tires. The wear seemed nice and even cross the face of the tire, but the car seems like its chewing threw front tires fast. I was complimented on how the set up of the car was wearing the tires, and told that how fast they are wearing was normal. This is a bummer at $1300 for a set of tires it looks like they will be corded with in 60 - 70 runs. This includes rotating them every event. Not sure I am going to be able to keep running this car with the cost of tires.

I was talking a lot about set up with our local guru. At 15 deg SAI angle he figures its still to high. We also talked about castor and reintroducing it after I reduce the SAI. This might help the car more with front end grip. To get the SAI down more, I might switch back to the stock 323 control arms. They are about half an inch narrower then the Mx3 ones I am using now. We will see what happens. This will be something to look at for next year.

couple fun pictures from the last event.

Yah car passed tech

Thumbs up car is fixed

This was my fastest run of the day. It was a very high speed course very fun to drive, but extremely tricky to get right.
http://youtu.be/wrZ4_aXxJPQ
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

ell the time of forums are going away. I have been finding it hard to keep this work log updated. A quick update since my last entry though. Locally this season autocross was hard fought battle. I sat in 3rd overall until the very last even. Unfortunately I had a bad day and was unable to get enough points to hold my spot. I ended up being dropping down to 5th place over all.

Rob and I made a trip down to Packwood for the national tour . This is the biggest event in the north west region. A quick recap.

"Packwood day 1. 0.047 sec separates 1st and 3rd place. I sit in 1st place with Rob sitting 3rd. An FSP prepped scirocoo came to play with us in SMF since no one else was in his class. He sits between Rob and I in 2nd."

"Soooo Lots of excitement for day 2. Lets just say when you go to one of these events, learn the rules and how things work before you go. Learning on the fly can cost you a lot. On day 1 The Scirocco weighed in close to 200lbs under weight for the class. Rob and I didn't realize that being in impound was when you protest these things and really look over your competitors car. Everyone else had agreed to allow the Scirocco to run, with out protesting. When Rob and I were approached it kind of blind sided us. We didn't really understand what was going on at the time, and went along with everyone else and allowed him to continue to run with out protest.

In talking to one of the event Chiefs we got a lot of clarification on the rules, and how things should have been dealt with yesterday. Had I been armed with this info on saterday I would have protested the car. Nothing could be done today about it though, so his results still stood. Today he added a bunch of sad bags to the car and made minimum weight, so there was no issues. Unfortunately it cost me a 1st place finish. Today on his last run he was able to nudge me out just enough to take the first place win over all. Beating me by only 0.047 sec over 2 days."

a picture from the event.

Some exciting things are brewing for this coming autocross season though. Christmas came early today.

Rob and I ordered these rims back in late April early may. Jongbloeds Areo 500 15x10s for the front 15x8s for the back. Brand new on the market. So excited. As you can see by a couple picks we are also starting to design a front splitter for the car. It's also getting a rear wing racing seat and fuel cell. Our goal is to have the car ready by mid March so we can tow it down to San Diego for one of the national tour dates. Next season Rob and I hope to make it to at least 3 tour dates maybe 4 if budget allows. Things just got a whole lot more serious. :)
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

This is the full list of national tour dates for next season . We hope to make it to Crows Landing, San Diego, Packwood and possibly Pikes Peak. We definitely welcome anyone wanting to come watch and cheer us on.

March 13-15*South Georgia Motorsports Park*Cecil, GA more info*
March 20-22*Quallcomm Stadium*San Diego, CA more info*
April 10-12*Texas A&M University Annex*College Station, TX more info*
April 17-19*Crows Landing Air Facility*Crows Landing, CA more info*
May 24-25*Lincoln Air Park (Spring Nationals)*Lincoln, NE more info*
June 12-14*Pikes Peak Int'l Raceway*Fountain, CO more info*
June 12-14*Devens Airfield*Ayers, MA more info*
July 10-12*Hampton Mills*Packwood, WA more info
August 7-9Wilmington AirportWilmington, OH more info
September 8-11National ChampionshipLincoln, NE more info
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

Christmas has come early. I took my son out shopping to get final presents for the family and I came home with this.

2 new Racing Seat brand seats. Different colours due to them being floor models on a cleanse sale. RCI 5 point harnesses, RCI 5 gal foam filled fuel cell and a Walbro 255 high volume fuel pump.
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

I have been lax updating this post.

Lots has happened since my last post.

my codriver and I celebrated our first 1st and 2nd class win at a natoinal tour event down in Crows Landing california last month. :)
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

Congrats on the win !

Good to see you're working on the car and driving it hard.
But does that roof spoiler on the back really help? Seems to catch a lot of wind.
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”