Detailed explanation on different KLZE intakes?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
stevesei

Re: Detailed explanation on different KLZE intakes?

Post by stevesei »

The thread you mention was so full of truth, half-truth, and just plain BS! This thread which, by the way my post does address, since manifold choice is just one issue, seems destined to go the same way.

Naturally, manifold choice is a factor in building an engine, If you read my post, you'll find that my discussion of street driveability and general overall good manners in engines, is highly pertinent.

And NO, I don't regularly rev to 7500 RPM, it's an exercize much better served by upshifting at 6000 to 6500 on those rare occassions that require maximum sustained acceleration. I just mentioned that it WOULD rev well. You apparently missed the OPINION or SPECULATION that freer exhaust is very good for top end, with the curve neck manifold and mild cams.

BTW, look up "ad hominem" in your dictionary. It has been my impression that MX-3.com was a place for interchange of ideas and experience. I see nothing in my post that requires any sort of personal attack or digression. Considering the accurate information presented, maybe it would be best to do a reality check on the definition of quality!

PS: See square manifold on oval port heads, K8 TB will fit, but why?, so does the Milly TB, pulls hard at low RPM, top end vs low/mid-range torque, general driveability.

Cheers!
Steve Seiter
Blue '92 GS, Milly square-port DE with stainless headers, Stoker100 chip, HEI/Blaster conversion,
2.25" exhaust, High flow cat, ZX-2 shocks, short shifter, urethane front bushings, 17x7s with 595 Evos
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

stevesei wrote:The thread you mention was so full of truth, half-truth, and just plain BS! This thread which, by the way my post does address, since manifold choice is just one issue, seems destined to go the same way.

Naturally, manifold choice is a factor in building an engine, If you read my post, you'll find that my discussion of street driveability and general overall good manners in engines, is highly pertinent.

And NO, I don't regularly rev to 7500 RPM, it's an exercize much better served by upshifting at 6000 to 6500 on those rare occassions that require maximum sustained acceleration. I just mentioned that it WOULD rev well. You apparently missed the OPINION or SPECULATION that freer exhaust is very good for top end, with the curve neck manifold and mild cams.

BTW, look up "ad hominem" in your dictionary. It has been my impression that MX-3.com was a place for interchange of ideas and experience. I see nothing in my post that requires any sort of personal attack or digression. Considering the accurate information presented, maybe it would be best to do a reality check on the definition of quality!

PS: See square manifold on oval port heads, K8 TB will fit, but why?, so does the Milly TB, pulls hard at low RPM, top end vs low/mid-range torque, general driveability.

Cheers!
Oh that thread was a whole wack of messed up. I didn't have much time to participate, but part of me didn't want to, it was just a mess, and never sorted itself out. I think it was on the verge of getting there (to a point) but it was locked.

I'm not saying everything everthing you said is wrong, but the majority of the information, and the way and what you presented screams "DE vs ZE" thread. Yes, there's more to the IM's than the IM's themselves, but that's a question and discussion of what people want to have for a setup for their motor. The points on heads, cams, exhaust, igniton, tuning and obversation are irrelevant for a discussion specifically about IM's, that is a discussion for a motor setup and your experience with your motor setup, it doesn't point to any concrete information or conclusion about the intake manifold. Of course you argue that it's relevant, of course it is, the motor needs an IM, it's part of the whole system to make it actually work, you just can't not use an IM (excluding ITB's, but that's different). If you would of had talked about your setup and had swapped intake manifolds from one for the other and talked about your experiences with that, than sure, but, to break it down:

- Heads: Mention is the oval vs square ports is IM related, and it's a question that does indeed get asked from time to time, but the compression of the pistons are irrevent to a discussion about IMs
- Manifold: No concrete information that isn't already known, and all your doing is making assumptions
- Cams: Irrelevant to IM's, That's solely a DE vs ZE cams post
- Exhaust : Completely irrelevant and that's your experience with your setup, and doesn't compare to anything
- Ignition : Again irrelvant to the IM discussion and the HEI and coil is far from anything new. Good info about using the milly sensor, but again, this isn't IM talk
- Tuning : Other than the small reference to VRIS, in which that reference is only an assumption, more irrelevant IM discussion information
- Observations : This is an observation of *your setup* and not about an intake manifold. Also, to discussion, there's no way it should pull to the fuel cutoff if your running KL01 cams where the peak torque starts to drop off after 6500rpms (where exactly i don't quite remember), it should start to stop pulling after that point. The reason to shift after 6500 is to bell curve the torque curve and to arrive at a set and optimal rpm point when you shift intot he next year. Shifting beyond 7000 and to have a pull beyond 7000 requires custom mild performance cams (anything non-OEM) to get what you describe.
- Next paragraph is exactly a DE vs ZE argument, and you even mention your resoning, and what parts make up for the 30hp difference. Not only is this irrelevant to the IM discussion, but this is directly an attempt to restart the DE vs ZE argument.
- A slight and relevant IM mention, but mostly about how your setup feels and compared to your K8, and doesn't discuss any drivablity comparions between any intake manifold. Daily driveability is never an issue with any DE or ZE until you get into hardcore setups like agressive 218 cams, puck clutches and ITB's.

Your trying to defend your post that it's not a DE vs ZE post, while all submitted information is mostly exactly that while trying to hide it with some vague and mild intake manifold references. Don't throw and hide behind that the "It has been my impression that MX-3.com was a place for interchange of ideas and experience" to pretend to not start an argument, that's very condensening of you. I did not see or say there were any personal attacks in your post, and nor were any of mine
stevesei wrote:You apparently missed the OPINION or SPECULATION that freer exhaust is very good for top end, with the curve neck manifold and mild cams.
You made no correlation between those points in your post. Of course a free flowing exhaust is good for top end, it always is, we always knew this. Of course KL31 cams make power higher in the RPM curve over KL01, we always knew this too. Making any improvement to gain power up high will always yield a drop in power down low, this is nothing new to the table. Throwing "intake manifold" in your sentences doesn't make it automatically relevant when your subject is far from it.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
MX-3.com
Site Administrator
antispam: No

Post by MX-3.com »

Guys, please keep the forums clean, so topics do not need to be locked. It has always been the hope that MX-3.com forums would be a self regulated forum, with minimal interaction by moderators.
Very few things in my opinion require banning or locking of threads.

I have re-opened this thread, so work it out. This thread has been running since November 2005, i dont think it needs to be locked now due to a couple members disagreeing.

Keep it clean please,
ImageJeff Aycan - Site & Forum Owner/Administrator
2003 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro Sedan (Brilliant Black)
2004 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T (Light Silver Metallic)
2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R (Lime Green/Ebony)
SOLD - 1995 MX-3 Precidia RS (Blaze Red)
SOLD - 2000 Honda Civic Si (Vogue Silver Metallic)
SOLD - 2005 Honda CR-V LX AWD (Redondo Red Pearl)

Please Help Support MX-3.com - (Contact me for MX-3.com Decal Purchases)
stevesei

Post by stevesei »

Thank you, Jeff. I really don't have much to say, except that this site is supposed to be about fun stuff. It's not much fun to be taken to task over a post that has much of the same content as many of the other posts on the same thread. Personally, I think people get just as much out of working with their 4 cylinder ATX MX-3s as the members with full blown V6 turbo'd race cars. My faith in the fairness of MX-3.com is restored.

Steve Seiter
Steve Seiter
Blue '92 GS, Milly square-port DE with stainless headers, Stoker100 chip, HEI/Blaster conversion,
2.25" exhaust, High flow cat, ZX-2 shocks, short shifter, urethane front bushings, 17x7s with 595 Evos
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

stevesei wrote:Thank you, Jeff. I really don't have much to say, except that this site is supposed to be about fun stuff. It's not much fun to be taken to task over a post that has much of the same content as many of the other posts on the same thread. Personally, I think people get just as much out of working with their 4 cylinder ATX MX-3s as the members with full blown V6 turbo'd race cars. My faith in the fairness of MX-3.com is restored.

Steve Seiter
This!! :)
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
miguelitorosal18

Post by miguelitorosal18 »

Thanks for the info !

I always wondered the difference between both !

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”