Bolt-in, Plug-and-Play Projector Light Kit

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

I think patricks lights are amazing and if i had the cash i would pic some up but considering ive already done the civic projectors and like the look they have i think im gonna stick with them, and just get an HID kit to add to them, where as the lighting is brighter its not by much
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Mnemonic wrote:I think patricks lights are amazing and if i had the cash i would pic some up but considering ive already done the civic projectors and like the look they have i think im gonna stick with them, and just get an HID kit to add to them, where as the lighting is brighter its not by much
Hey thanks for being so forthcoming an honest about your civic conversion. I imagine it would be difficult for those that have gone that way only to find marginal lighting improvement would be very discouraging not to mention slightly embarrassing when confronted with their findings. Thanks again for your honesty!!!
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
tatsu

Post by tatsu »

Holy Cow! Guys, stop arguing!

I will be the first to say that the quality of light with the Hella 90mm units will be WAY better than any of the other options out there, but everyone is just doing the best they can with what they've got....

Back on topic, after some discussion on the other post, I should mention here that I will also sell just the housings, so that people can buy their setup piece-by-piece, use different light units (E.G. H7 ECE for Europe, or D2S single-Xenon HID's), etc. It's that whole "How do you eat an elephant?" question - for some, it may be do-able to buy the housings now and the lights, etc. a few months down the road. For those who want the whole kit, I will do that as well.

Check out the post in the New Product Development forum for more information.
Taras

Post by Taras »

verzutiko wrote:
Taras wrote:For Europe the legality will reside with Hella 90mm unit ECE that unses H7 bulb with city light, also fully conforms to ECE R37 regulations.
:?: Que?

Call me stupid, but I really don't understand what you're saying. Could you repeat that in english? I can probably look it up, but I don't know where to start, and you seem to know what you're talking about... :)
Sorry, All I was saying that for Europe, you want to use H7 based 90mm units. Two versions (high beam) are available, one with city light and another one without. The other good thing is because the housings are magnesium and lenses are glass, you can use overwattage bulbs (in high beams). H7 has a lot of quality upgrades from Osram, Narva, Hella. Of course a decent wiring harness is a must.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

Wow, I was only away from the board for a couple of days..... that's quite a read! :D My 2 cents: a few months ago I myself had hopped onto the civic projector bandwagon and got a set of those as well, but haven't yet undertaken the process of taking the proper measurements to get the cutting done on either the housings themselves or on the bumper, fender, etc. Why not? For numerous reasons like not wanting to butcher my ride for one, but the most important one of all: I've been focusing my efforts on getting more practical things done such as routine and preventative maintenance vs. "bling things". I'm a firm believer in putting more value into something that keeps the car WORKING well/better as opposed to LOOKING like it does. At the time when I bought those projectors, they were an easy out to get slightly better lighting with a bonus of having a nicer look than the stock units - at least for what was available at the time.

With Tatsu's endeavour in the process of going mass-production, well, if this effort does follow through, I'd be interested indeed. The cost, as has already been illustrated and confirmed, is justified. And as pricey as they may be, we're getting something that's clearly of a higher calibre than the civic projectors, they're fully legal, and of course the added convenience of the bolt-on plug-and-play architecture. Now THAT's the kind of practicality that holds much more merit to its value than something for show. For those of us that don't want to butcher the car and don't have quite the mechanical know-how to build a set of our own otherwise, this is a great development!! :2thumbsup:

Tatsu, if your plans ever come to fruition, then I'd gladly like to get the full kit. Best of luck
What I drive: A Cybertronian disguised in the form of a Creek Blue Mica 95 MX-3 GS. :driver:
Long term goal: Fabricating a new transformation cog! :welder:
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Tatsu, would a roll call type of call-out be in order at this time so as to get a better indication as to those that are willing to purchase the units. Or will another thread be started for that, as in the case of a group buy?
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

I agree with J
If you fall, then get back up........Luck favors the prepared
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

i'm interested...i'm short on cash though...selling the housings seperately would probably work better for me at least.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

edited by me... appologies
Last edited by jschrauwen on July 31st, 2005, 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

J, he said he would sell the housing seperately previously on this page. For the reason of money shortages and to make it more available to those who can't spend all that money at the same time.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

PATDIESEL wrote:J, he said he would sell the housing seperately previously on this page. For the reason of money shortages and to make it more available to those who can't spend all that money at the same time.
Sorry Pat, your right, for some reason I thought it was one housing at a time when thinking "separately". Post editted, thanks Pat!
Woody1969

Post by Woody1969 »

I would just like to say that it seems too many people have forgoten that they do not own a Honda Civic. Most of use bought these cars because we wanted to have something different. Well the down side to having something different is that it cost more to customize your car. I remember when the first altezza tail lights came out I bought a set for 450.00 because that was what it cost to be the first ones to have a set, now you can get a set for less than 100.00. I for one would be glad to pay just slightly more than the cost of a set of new factory headlights that are just going to fade on you again in a few years anyway. I will put my name in the hat for a set if you can get it going. And for the people who try to compare the civic conversion to this, there is no real comparison. While I think that the civic light concept was a very smart and economical way to get better lights for the car, the conversion is in no way pretty underneth. They look great from the outside but if you are like me and care how your car looks when you open the hood it does not work. I would love to see something like this pan out, good luck guys.
tatsu

Post by tatsu »

Another quick update - I've been a bit preoccupied the past couple of weeks with the new addition to my family (my wife and I are the proud parents of a new baby girl! :D ). Now that things have settled down a bit on the home front, I can turn my focus back to this project.

I will be finishing prototyping the mounting system this week, now that I have everything I need to test the three fitment options I have it down to (I only had a low-beam light unit previously). I may post a couple of pics next weekend to get some feedback on which light placement you guys like better. Once that decision has been made, I'll get some production-quality brackets fabricated and pass them on to my mould maker for design work on the housings to go ahead.

I'll also need to get my hands on a set of GTS headlight covers as well, so that the mould makers have them on-hand to look at how they fit to the stock lights and design the housings accordingly.

At this point, I would say we are looking at early to mid-October before we are ready to produce and ship the kits, assuming we have the necessary numbers. That is still pretty much on target.

Another update to follow later in the week. 8)
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

my wife and I are the proud parents of a new baby girl!
Congrats man - thats great!
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Grants wrote:
my wife and I are the proud parents of a new baby girl!
Congrats man - thats great!
Ahhhh, congrats my friend!!! Now you'll be able to enjoy those late night posts while doing the evening feedings. The new lifestyle and timetable begins.

Headlight cover can be sourced from Keystone through CTC. Keystone part # GTO518C. $69.03cdn + taxes and S+H.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”