My Car doesn't have ABS!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

First question was that you said what i said worried you. I take that as an insult as you don't know me whatsover and you just assumed.
No I didn't. Read the post. Where did I say that? I quoted 2 people but you weren't either of them. Don't be so self important.
As for Tunes67 LOL When has ANYBODY ON THIS THREAD even remotely implied that ABS will help if you hit a 90 degree corner at 65MPH ?? LOL We all know that!!

Well I see this has been sorted out, maybe you should engage your brain before your fingers.

If I've got this right, you're 32 and got your license in 2000. Is this correct? If so, getting your license so late in life means you lost a lot of time gaining experience when your reflexes are at their prime, such as in your early 20s. I'd have to consider that record is woefully inexperienced for your age. Theres 21 year olds on this board with as much experience.

Last month you didn't know what a firewall was but it seems you've come a long way since.

So you wanna come out and attack me for making a comment about peoples reliance on ABS - not your comments mind you but other peoples. Well its a free world and you can make those comments if you like although I think they were unasked for. Being a free world I can also think you to be a wanker and I won't be taking any further posts by you seriously.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Chadley

Post by Chadley »

yes maybe
Last edited by Chadley on March 30th, 2005, 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

johnnyb wrote:
Rick Johnson wrote: Exactly! I pull the fuse in the winter because it's so damn annoying, Abs is for women who don't know how to brake in a emergency situation.
if your abs is kicking in to the point where you need to pull the fuse then you're obviously braking too hard. Under no circumstanses should it go on unless your car senses your tires are locking up. It seems by this post you need how to learn how to brake. I'm not trying to be an a-- but I can brake no problem without abs kicking in, why cant you? I must also say if the conditions in your area are that slippery, when it comes to when you need to stop in a hurry you my friend are in trouble.
From experience, I can brake far better without the abs kicking in as soon as one tire slips, which is at every stop sign/intersection out here. I can tell from your ignorant post you've never driven on the prairies in -40 weather. With the amount of salt they dump on the road out where you live i imagine you rarely see ice like we have here, thats why all the cars out east rust to s--- in no time. So don't tell me I am in trouble when I need to stop, I have 0 accident's thats after 8 years of driving, can you say the same? Do you even know what happens when you downshift when your abs is going off? which is on every corner?
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: My Car doesn't have ABS!!

Post by jschrauwen »

jschrauwen wrote:
RodbeyBur wrote:I found out last night that my car doesn't have ABS. That is probably the reason the previous owner ran it into the back of another car. :roll:
Does anyone know how hard it would be to convert to ABS? I have a 93 and am not sure if it was an option in that year.
Is it possible to install airbags into a 93?

Rod, I think you're really reaching on that assumption and appear to be rationallizing your justification of the necessesity to have ABS...IMO

I believe that you've got some pretty clear feedback on that one...IMO

Again, you've been given some clear backround on that issue....IMO

Rod, you posted to get information on something you were speculating about, at least that's the impression I got. What you recieved, aside from some excellent technical info detailing with the complexities of an attempt, for the most part was an overwhelming response to the negative. That confirmed, it appears that you're trying to convince us of the merits of such an undertaking, which the majority of which do not subscribe to...IMO. If you posed your query in such a way as to say that you ARE going to undertake this project (which appears so), than perhaps simply saying so and stating that you need to know some of the specific technical details surrounding this project may have netted you a much better response.......again IMO. You must appreciate that most reponses are from those you were willing to take the time to HELP an inquiring mind and that we all share in the devotion and love of our ride. We all agree on the positive aspects and merit of HAVING ABS. If you do decide to continue on with that project, I'm sure there would be a number of interested people who would like to follow your progress, I for one. All the best in the endeavour....good luck!!!

It appears that the thread has evolved to driver experience. The above and supplemental posts by me in this thread were made by a person who own's and has driven motorcycles (on the road and track, here and overseas) for 35 years. For 33 years, I've driven a multitude of various military patterned vehicles (tracked and wheeled). I've driven in Canada (coast to coast), US (coast to coast & north to south), Germany, Holland, France, Bosnia, Croatia, Egypt, Israel and Cyprus (UK style). With all that experience and no accident claims I still do not consider myself an expert, by any stretch of the term. I do however, stand by my previous posts in this thread....FWIW
Rod.....you sure know how to "stir the pot".......LOL
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

This is one hell of a thread
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

There seems to be some misunderstanding of what I've said on this subject.

To qualify my opinion I think that ABS is a good safety feature but should not be relied on beyond being an additional safety device.

I have not derided ABS or drivers who enjoy the benefits of ABS apart from saying that they should not RELY on it as a device to avoid collisions. The roads would be very dangerous if drivers make the assumption that ABS will save them under all circumstances. There seem to be many posts much more derogatory towards ABS than any comments I made and do not understand why I was picked out by Chadley as the target of his offence.

If anyone has taken my remarks as a scathing attack on them I apologise as they were not intended to offend but rather to contribute to the discussion.
just defending what was a scathing attact on a few members (the f--- abs, learn how to drive etc etc comments).
And just for the record I didn't say those things.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Chadley

Post by Chadley »

its all a dream really
Last edited by Chadley on March 30th, 2005, 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

Rick Johnson wrote: From experience, I can brake far better without the abs kicking in as soon as one tire slips, which is at every stop sign/intersection out here. I can tell from your ignorant post you've never driven on the prairies in -40 weather. With the amount of salt they dump on the road out where you live i imagine you rarely see ice like we have here, thats why all the cars out east rust to s--- in no time. So don't tell me I am in trouble when I need to stop, I have 0 accident's thats after 8 years of driving, can you say the same? Do you even know what happens when you downshift when your abs is going off? which is on every corner?
Really man the way you make yourself out to be its a god. I've been driving for 10 years without any accidents. I began my driving career in central and northern ontario where they dont lay salt. So I think I know how to drive in the winter. No I dont know what happens when I'm downshifting and my abs is going off because I have complete control of my car and my abs doesnt go off. I drive for a living so if you care to lecture me on driving skills you're not impressing anybody.

Now jesus christ this has become a pissing contest. How about everyone just stop posting in this thread it started out as a question about some person putting abs in his car to this. I love to see how everyone comes out of the woodwork and start with the "I can do this better then you can" attitude. So again guys leave his post alone all he wanted to know was HOW to add abs and if airbags was an option. So if you're not going to help him then you're just wasting his and anyone who wants to try this projects time.
Chino921

Post by Chino921 »

Wow, I had no idea this thread would take off like this! Thanks to everyone who brought helpful and original insights.
georgechicken

Post by georgechicken »

wow.. i know this is old, but hell, i read once every 6 months or so... sorry bud, but you're going to be outnumbered here... if you want ABS, unless you have REALLY deep pockets, little common sense, and like your car being down for a while, then go buy a car that has ABS... and no, it doesnt necessarily take lots of distance from your stops... it acutally doesnt create the max pressure to the wheels before lockup. wheel lockup has as much to do with weight transfer and component integrity as it does brake pressure. you're more likely to make your mx-3 brake better by replacing struts, worn suspension components, lighter parts, etc, as you are by installing ABS. next, finding ABS parts is a b----. you'll also find that the axles, spindles, struts, and several other parts are different (and harder to find) on the ABS equipped MX-3.. of the 100 or so mx-3's that I've worked on (and done EXTENSIVE work and modification to), I've yet to see one equipped with ABS... personally, If my girlfriend drove one, I'd love for her to have ABS. It's great in the rain, snow, etc... that and she's just damn dangerous. However, there has never been a wreck that I could have avoided had I have had ABS. It IS a waste of space, money, time, etc for someone like myself that can maintain my car properly, handle the car as if it is physically a part of my body, and modulate the brakes. That's just opinion though. Here's what you'll need for your ABS quest:
some money, some time, and a way to transport your new ABS-equipped MX-3 from its old residence to yours. just buy one that has it already. its cheaper, and it's already working. no troubleshooting. :) Good luck!

dan
--Maybe the Hippopotamus was just a really cool Apotamus.--

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”