My Car doesn't have ABS!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
RodbeyBur

My Car doesn't have ABS!!

Post by RodbeyBur »

I found out last night that my car doesn't have ABS. That is probably the reason the previous owner ran it into the back of another car. :roll:

Does anyone know how hard it would be to convert to ABS? I have a 93 and am not sure if it was an option in that year.

Is it possible to install airbags into a 93?
Chino921

Post by Chino921 »

Anything CAN be done. Something’s just aren’t practical. To install ABS or airbags on a car that lacks them would cost thousands of dollars (or whatever currency you use). Sensors, pickups, the whole wiring harness, ecu. Not to mention all of the hydraulic upgrades. It's just not practical. Besides, ABS is a waste of space and weight.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

There is one nice thing about ABS brakes.. Insurance companies give a price break if your car came equipped from the factory with them. If you added them to the car afterwards.. you would have to fight with your insurance company to get them to give you the same discount.. they would probably want to inspect the car as well. Not really worth the effort.

Tunes67
RodbeyBur

Post by RodbeyBur »

Chino921 wrote:Anything CAN be done. Something’s just aren’t practical. To install ABS or airbags on a car that lacks them would cost thousands of dollars (or whatever currency you use). Sensors, pickups, the whole wiring harness, ecu. Not to mention all of the hydraulic upgrades. It's just not practical. Besides, ABS is a waste of space and weight.
It seems that you are just guessing here and can't fully answer my question.

My experience has been that most car makers have the wiring for options installed in the wiring harness during the manufacturing process. That way with options or requested they just plug and play. It saves them time and money of having to build cars upon requests. IE matching options to paint colors and other accesories. That has been my experience with cars anyway. I have never looked into upgrading ABS or Airbags though.

Since MX3's had ABS / AIRBAGS as an option in 93, I am hoping that the wiring will be in place. All I would need would be the components and installation.

Hoping someone with more knowledge on the MX3 ABS system can help me out with the components listing.

As far as airbags, I really don't want those. I know they came as a group with the ABS that is why I was asking.

Also, why is ABS a waste of space? It reduces stopping distance by alot. Even if you know how to control non ABS brakes, you would not be able to pump the brakes as fast as ABS! Drving in snow and rain is alot safer, easier. If you prefer to lock the wheels up around corners then the ebrake is waiting and willing. ABS has soooo many advantages over non ABS.
Chino921

Post by Chino921 »

First off, I have more experience with import cars than you can imagine. Second, you are probably correct about the wiring, but you will not have an ABS control unit because that is way to expensive to just throw into a car that is not going to use it. Also, the wheel speed sensors receive a signal from the pick up (Called a sensor rotor) either in the steering knuckle or from the outer C.V. joint on the axel shaft depending on front or rear. In either case, you will not have these, which means replacing the axle shafts and the rear hub assembles. When you're done thinking about that, then you can start to think about the brake lines that will have to be re- routed to the ABS hydraulic unit then back to each corner the car.
As for the pros and cons, there are plenty of both. I guess it's all up to your skill and reaction time.
RodbeyBur

Post by RodbeyBur »

Chino921 wrote:First off, I have more experience with import cars than you can imagine.
I doubt it I have a pretty big imagination.

So far for my list I have:

Calipers
ABS Controller (under dash?)
ABS Hydraulic Pump (thing with all wires going into it in engine bay)
New Brake Lines (to and from pump)
Sensors (where are these located?)

Did I miss anything?
Last edited by RodbeyBur on March 8th, 2005, 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chino921

Post by Chino921 »

big imagination huh?

...and that's the only thing you could come back with?

Case closed I'm done with this topic.
RodbeyBur

Post by RodbeyBur »

Come back with?? Is this a competition? I triying to find out some information about my car and you are treating this as if it is some sort of competition. LMAO. Please find a new thread to jack.
Chino921

Post by Chino921 »

I'm sorry if I sounded a bit competitive, but when I try to give helpful information and my knowledge is questioned in a cinical way I tend to get offended.
sorry.
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

for any ABS questions read the online manual pages P-048 to p-078 it will answer any questions you may have
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

Non Abs to Abs, sorry RodbeyBur your be better off buying a MX3
with abs,
So far for my list I have:

Calipers
ABS Hydraulic Pump (thing with all wires going into it in engine bay)
Calipers Any can be used

Nope its under the passanger seat.

Yup!

On the rear hub's and on the front drive axles.

Thats the complete loom for a MX3 Jspec with all the goodies
you would have to put one of those in..

Matt :welder:
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
RaverChankoMX3

Post by RaverChankoMX3 »

Bah, you don't need ABS unless like mentioned earlier, in poor driving conditions.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

I dont think 93's had optional airbags, airbags started in 94 to my knowledge.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

93s didnt have air bags, my 93 has a fuse for ABS but its not in there, hmmm :?
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

f--- ABS. Learn how to drive.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”