Rob's '95 RS -> BP is in!

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Evo_Spec

Re: The Bane Of My Existence

Post by Evo_Spec »

glad you finally came to that conclusion, that's what i was trying to make you realize lol
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by kulluminati777 »

:werd:

all that trouble for nothing :mrgreen:
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

So I finally got something done with the BP.

Head is almost assembled, just need to dip the lifters in oil and stick them in, then install camshafts and I'm set. Will hopefully have the engine completed tomorrow. If I'm lucky I can remove the B6 and F series trans tomorrow as well and maybe get the BP stuffed in although it won't be running for at least another week, need to find time to install the Haltec Standalone.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
kulluminati777

Re: Rob's '95 RS -> BP install time

Post by kulluminati777 »

dont forget new valve seals lol :wink:
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

kulluminati777 wrote:dont forget new valve seals lol :wink:
Done sir!

So I made some more headway today, I started to torque the bolts for the water pump and oil pump(torqued already though) and noticed a lot of shavings from my deck resurfacing in the piston bore. After some contemplation I removed the pistons and found a ton of them in the bores and piston rings, I removed and reinstalled the pistons and it's much cleaner now. I then installed the main bearing support cap and rear main seal and the oil pan, then I flipped the sucker over and installed the ARP head studs with loctite for the permanent install and had a bit of issues that ended up being resolved when I notice I was installing the head the wrong way. So headgasket and head is installed and I've torqued the head to the firs 1/3 of spec and will polish it off tomorrow.

Oh and I managed to forget to install the f---ing oil pickup....

Not a very bright moment but everyone enjoys redoing oil pan installs. Right? RIGHT?

I'm not too upset though, lot of fun doing this and I'm getting excited to do it.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Head is all torqued down, oil pickup is also attached now, got a nasty head cold right now so I ahven't done anything in the last few days but hopefully cams and rest of the timing will be done soon, I just need to figure out the right position of the cam caps(?), pretty sure I know which way they go since someone was nice enough to engrave them with I or E, depending on exhaust or intake as well as numbered them 2-5, I just need to know which side starts with 5 and which way they face but I think I've got it set.

Torquing the head down was a bit scary, had to tourqe to 80 ft/lbs and the last 1/3rd of the torque sequence scared me because of how much torque it felt like I was applying but no bolts were sheared or heads warped so it was a success. Now I just need to pick up some more RTV to apply to the spot between the block and waterpump then I can get the timing and cam covers on and I'm pretty much set.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

So I'm finally over this BS cold I've had for a few days, or at least I'm healthy enough to wrench.

Goal for tomorrow is to grab some RTV and lubriplate so I can finish installing the lifters and cams, I also need to clean out the inside of my valve cover since it pulled a disappearing act and I dug it out of a pile of garbage in the back yard(don't ask). The goal was to strip the paint and then paint/powerdercoat down the road but I don't think I'll want to do that, it's got some really rough gouges and scrapes in it, I think I'll try to find another VC once I take care of this.

After I get teh cams in I should hopefully be able to install the new timing kit I got and then reinstall the pulleys, if I've got enough time I'll maybe even get it on the crane and install the clutch, flywheel and transmission to it.

Just today I remembered a problem I had forgotten, the manual/electric speedo BS I'm gonna have to worry about to get my speedo working, looks like I'll be doing the conversion, which thankfully Evo_Spec has down so I can pick his brains about it and get it done.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

So I went to install the cams last night and while digging for some RTV in my parts pile I decided to sort out my stack of ECUs I had. I have four, althoguh I only thought I had three but it turns out in one of the random boxes the seller gave me in december of last year there was a BPT ECU in it. Grand total now is a one BPT GTX ecu, a BP ECU, a BPT(possibly GTR) ECU and a B6 ECU I need to return to Mi|<e. Kind of like finding $150 in your pocket haha.

I'm now trying to source some BP injectors since I've decided I want to get the BP in there and set up properly, working right, before I install my Haltech and start factoring in a lot more wires I could possibly mess up and have the engine not work. I've got the ECU and VAF so I should be set in that case, just to get it running properly and adjust the timing and anythign else that might pop up.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

So I had a bit fo free time today, readjusted teh cams and aligned the cam sprockets, aligned the crank sprocket too but everytime I slip the timing belt on the sprockets the damn thing will rotate just a bit off of the alignment mark and I have to redo. Damn PITA, seems like the cranks got a high spot or somethign there that makes it slip really easily when aligned at just that spot.

That's how far away I kept getting, over and over, doesn't help that I'm clumsy as hell especially with cold hands.

Slipped the VC and timing covers on quick to get a bit of inspiration to hustle a bit faster, it almost resembles an engine now.

Valve cover looks like crap though, I need to get myself a better one I think, this one is scratched to s--- and I don't think it's worth it to powdercoat it since it won't cover up the gouges and whatnot. Timing cover doesn't look too hot either, stupid thing has high heat paint flaking off of it and gouges but I can just nab one from picknpull no problem

Only things left now are BP injectors and a Fuel Pressure Regulator, I need to get one of them to run this N/A right away with my Haltech but I'd like to run the car with the BP ECU first, just to get a hang of things and make sure it's all hunky dory so I just need to track down BP injectors, even though I can't find a BP to save my life at picknpull.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

My NRG FPR is coming in the mail, new VC, exhaust mani and injectors should also be acquired soon enough.

Bolted teh flywheel on today, was a bit of an effort to torque the flywheel bolts while holding the flywheel but I got it done. Just need to line up the clutch and then the trans can go on. I work the next two days but I should be able to pull the b6 on sunday.
Thefez

Post by Thefez »

send me some pics of the VC theres a good chance i can cover tho's imperfections up (ps i powdercoat)

nice progress tho man have alot of respect for you BP guys... still love my K's tho:)
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Thefez wrote:send me some pics of the VC theres a good chance i can cover tho's imperfections up (ps i powdercoat)

nice progress tho man have alot of respect for you BP guys... still love my K's tho:)
Its a bit warped too, not sure it would seal properly but I've got another one waiting to be picked up so it's no biggie.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Getting closer...

It was unreasonably difficult to get that transmission aligned and installed by myself, the number of times I dropped it on my foot was dumb and I never want to have to do tthat alone again.

Harness on the b6 is partially removed, engine oil and coolant drained now I just need some injectors and I can throw on the intake and all of that jazz and pull out the b6 and then slip in the bp.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

So I picked up the VC, exhaust mani and BP injectors(mad thanks to Tavman_1213 and Mi|<e for those).

I found a photo from this summer that reflects a problem I've always had with this car, frost always getting on it, at least it covers up the imperfections of the paint hah.

And there is something else coming in the mail.

RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

So, uh, I guess it's finally finished. Just need one intake manifold nut and a speedo gear and maybe I'll have time to swap soon.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”