MrMazda92's '92 GS - New daily

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: MrMazda92's '92 GS - Clearance problems solved!

Post by MrMazda92 »

I already deleted all but the VRIS from the curveneck, and blocked off the EGR port.
I even removed the piping that runs from the rear VC breather port, and am routing it elsewhere to clean it up further. :)

I have MegaSquirt, so the CEL shouldn't be an issue for me. If it is, I won't stress it, since I will have realtime datalogging anyways.

Since nobody bought my MS, I figure I'll just use it. Money's money, but I'm not throwing it away for $200, so nobody wants to buy it. :lol:

As for the manifolds, the straightneck WILL be going on eventually... I just want to finish the acid porting first.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Re: MrMazda92's '92 GS - Clearance problems solved!

Post by MrMazda92 »

Well, this is how she sits today... I've come across an issue with my 65mm TB, so the straightneck/65mm will be going in later.

I parked a mostly stock GS after my wreck last Christmas. She's lost about a hundred pounds, powersteering & A/C parasites, and more. She's gained a 5 lug swap, brake upgrade, lightweight wheels, new struts, and a newly refreshed Millenia engine, with a few bolt-ons, and MegaSquirt. Not exactly what I had in mind before, but at least she will live again before new years.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Re: MrMazda92's '92 GS - KL is in, waiting on a battery. -.-

Post by MrMazda92 »

The engine is once again complete... Minus a thermostat gasket. :x

Brandi is itching to drive Tracy, so I think I need to get this finished - double time.

MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

9 days later, and the car still sits... The radiator is topped off with distilled water and antifreeze, the coolant hoses are routed in my preferred manner, and the vacuum lines are good to go. There are a few harness plugs I am still trying to chase down, but for the most part the car is ready to go!

New wheel-bearings are in up front, and I just need a short list of items to have her running again:
1. Battery
2. 2 quarts of Redline MT90
3. 10 deep threaded lugnuts with enclosed ends

That's about it...

After I fire her up, all I should need are a muffler + 2' of pipe, an alignment, and some open road!
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Just got a line on a FREE 1st gen RX-7(FB, not SA), with low miles and an obvious need for attention. The car has been parked in a storage container for the past 2 decades, and I only recently discovered it's existence.

Now, the question is... 13B-T, or V8 goodness? Full poly bushing sets are ~$130 for these badboys, and the aftermarket is notably better than the MX-3. It looks like I'll have myself a drag car, afterall. :freak:
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

So, I went to bleed the brakes today... It turns out that while the MX-3 brake lines do in fact match that of the Speed6, the angle of the line itself is different. I either need to swap the Speed6 lines, or grind the little "nub" on the end of the brake line to place it elsewhere on the caliper.

Oh, and I finally figured out the EXACT amount of grinding required to make these calipers clear the FD wheels. :) It would have been easier with thicker spacers, but that convenience comes with more poke than I am fond of. :shrug:

Everything from the tires up to the struts is either brand new, or newly rebuild/refurbished... This car's going to be fun to drive, when she finally gets there again.

I'm going to start pouring steady effort into this car again, it's high time I fixed it. :D
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

MrMazda92 wrote:Just got a line on a FREE 1st gen RX-7(FB, not SA), with low miles and an obvious need for attention. The car has been parked in a storage container for the past 2 decades, and I only recently discovered it's existence.

Now, the question is... 13B-T, or V8 goodness? Full poly bushing sets are ~$130 for these badboys, and the aftermarket is notably better than the MX-3. It looks like I'll have myself a drag car, afterall. :freak:
I'm partial to those first gen rx-7s, they're cool cars in their own way and are not too expensive to get one.
Post some pics if you get them, would be nice to see it restored.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I am as well, I find them very aesthetically pleasing!

The only 2 points that I am not fond of are the RB steering system, and the live axle will make for less friendly street driving. ;( I guess I should quit my moaning; It's an RX-7, I shouldn't be expecting Bentley-like comfort anyways. :lol:

If I am able to get my hands on the car, I'll email you some pictures!
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Re: MrMazda92's '92 GS - Just need a battery!

Post by MrMazda92 »

Well, It's official!

The car needs a battery to be road-worthy, a muffler to be street-legal, and an alignment to keep her going in a straight line! :lol: Other than that, she's finally ready to hit the road.
[LVPA]93GsSe

Post by [LVPA]93GsSe »

Damn, a 1st gen is sweet. A buddy of mine had one I wanted to get a hold of but didn't have the money. Wish I could take off your hands. :(
Knowing you've spent too much on your car,
yet, you still want to keep modding. -priceless
^
|
boosted_bullet

93 Honda Accord LX - Wrecked
95 Honda Del Sol Si - Stolen
92 Honda Accord EX - Parted out
2000 Toyota Celica GTS - Cracked block and broken differential teeth
93 SE - ATX to MTX, work as always in progress
01 Toyota Celica GTS - DD

Worklog to be up soon, still... ...
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

They are, and I am hoping to get my hands on this beastie soon! It'll be nice to have a project I don't mind having on jackstands for a couple of years, so I can actually enjoy the MX-3 for once. :freak:
[LVPA]93GsSe

Post by [LVPA]93GsSe »

:lol: :shock:
^
|
boosted_bullet

MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Well, it's true!!

I haven't driven the car since December 24th of 2012!! :(

Still, with each passing day she creeps closer and closer to completion!
[LVPA]93GsSe

Post by [LVPA]93GsSe »

I hear ya, everytime mines down for a day or 2 I need a beer, lol.
^
|
boosted_bullet

MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Alright, so today I rolled the car around with the brakes fully installed and properly bled. I bolted the crossmember back on after torquing the headers down, and re-attached the resonator.

I'm still trying to find a quiet-ish muffler to put on this car; I'm tired of hearing imports fart all around town, and want something that sounds decent. I keep seeing high end mufflers that look/sound awesome, but realistically my budget is about $50. :shrug:

When I do get this car back on the road, dyno tuning will be the last step of the project. I am taking it no further, after this past year.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”