Crazycandians KLG4 swapped autocross beast

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Nd4SpdSe

Re: Crazycandians KLG4 swap.... FINSHED! first autocross don

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

crazycanadian wrote:I played a bit with the scanner at work today... I was curious about my odd idle issue... While I was at it I decided to play with my new phone and took a video of the scan data... This is why I love OBD2... So much easier to diagnose... Top left is loop status(closed/open loop), Top right is Idle air control valve command in %.. Bottom is Engine rpm... Whats not shown in TPS, but its sitting at 0.61v at idle(this is good)...
What kind of software is that? Does it monitor knock sensor input?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
crazycanadian wrote:I played a bit with the scanner at work today... I was curious about my odd idle issue... While I was at it I decided to play with my new phone and took a video of the scan data... This is why I love OBD2... So much easier to diagnose... Top left is loop status(closed/open loop), Top right is Idle air control valve command in %.. Bottom is Engine rpm... Whats not shown in TPS, but its sitting at 0.61v at idle(this is good)...
What kind of software is that? Does it monitor knock sensor input?
The video I took was using a Snap On Verus.. Software version 12.2...Its the main scan tool we use at the shop I work for.. Its almost as good as having a factory mazda scan tool.. Next time I play around with it I will see if it has data pids for knock sensor...

For at home I have Auto Enginuity lap top based scan tool... Unfortunately it doesn't work right on a 626 ecu.. There are some bugs in the software... Hopefully the company can get them sorted out soon.. They have been pretty good with responding and fixing other bugs..
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

crazycanadian wrote:
Nd4SpdSe wrote:
crazycanadian wrote: At 100km/h I was doing 2500rpm.. At 1200km/h I was doing 2800 rpm...
1) That must be one hell of a gear ratio in your final drive and 5th gear, and 2) Your KLG4 swap is making much more power than your letting us on to believe...

Thanks bud... I have no clue what kind of power this thing is supposed to make... Its pretty much a stock KLG4 swap, using a factory KLG4 ecu... The motor just has a few bolt ons and thats it...
ok, the joke flew over your head on that one, so I'll point it out to ya :P
crazycanadian wrote: At 100km/h I was doing 2500rpm.. At 1200km/h I was doing 2800 rpm...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

hahaha *facepalm* thanks bud... amazing what an extra 0 does... now if only I could do that with my pay checks...
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Crazycandians KLG4 swap.... tweeking and racing

Post by Daninski »

So you need a 5 speed ECM from what a 99 to ? 626.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

Daninski wrote:So you need a 5 speed ECM from what a 99 to ? 626.
I would think any year 5 speed KLG4 ecu would work... so I think thats 98 - 02..

I have no big need for the ECU.. Its a little more of a curiosity for me to see the differences.. Might help my idle issue.. Might not...

If you have a line on one though let me know...
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

So I haven't updated this in a while. Today I just finished getting the car set up on its summer suspension set up, she's all ready for another autocross season. I decided this year to try out a stiffer front spring. the springs that came out of my last coil overs were the right size. I don't know what spring rate they are but they are stiffer. I'll see how that goes.

Unknown spring on the left/K-sport 420lbs spring on the right.

My alignment specs for this year. I managed to tweek a few things and get a little more caster once again. With everything I have done to to the suspension I am most happy about all the caster I have picked up. This has been the biggest thing I have done to improve the cars handling..

Front Caster
Left = 5.27 deg
Right= 5.18 deg

Front Camber
Left = 3.17 deg
Right = 3.25 deg

Front Toe is set to 1/32 toed out on both sides.

Rear Camber
Left = 2.00 deg
Right = 2.03 deg

Rear Toe is set to 0 this year..

Last year I was running a bunch of toe out in the rear and I liked how the car handled but my tires paid a huge price for it. This year I figure I'll try and rig something up where I can add a little rear toe when I am at autocross and then dial it back when I am done.

Ride height is set at 23 1/16" from the center of the wheel well to the ground on all 4 corners.. This is about as low as I want to go for both tire clearance and control arm angles..

Over the winter I also picked up a little project.. this might take a couple years to get up and running but it should be fun.. I haven't decided how I am going to mount it yet but it looks like I'll be cutting out the hood..

Thunder Bird Eaton M90
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

Well saterday was the first autocross day of the seasons... It was wet, cold and miserable in the morning. I cleared up a bit in the afternoon but nothing really dried out.

I have a lot of rust to shake off as I struggled all day. So far I only have 1 video posted but I'll have a couple more later on tonight.

In this run I spun out near the end, you can hear the blip in throttle as I thought about saving it, but quickly decided to just shut it down

http://youtu.be/toZfrNUDs7U
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

here are a couple more of my runs...

This was my first run in the afternoon... I was still struggling with slip sliding around a lot...
http://youtu.be/WE5PwP-Mdlg

This was my 2nd run in the afternoon.. I managed to keep this one pretty clean.. I didn't get my last run on video which turned out to be my fastest run of the day though...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxN8QOhS7a4
crazycanadian

Re: Crazycandians KLG4 swap.... 2013 autocross season has be

Post by crazycanadian »

Well another event in the bag... So far I am not impressed with my self... I am having a really hard time shaking off the winter rust.. I really feel like I am over driving the car, its becoming very frustrating... Hopefully when the weather gets better and I can get back on my rcomps I will feel more at home...

On a better note I picked up my mazdaspeed decals this morning before the event.. With a little help from Rob I got them installed shortly after tech... Here is a picture of the car with her new decals.. I can't stand decals on a car, but yet here they are slowly making their way.. ug.. hahaha

Video's to follow... I just have to do a little editing and get the posted, possibly in the next couple of days..
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

So its been a while since I have updated this.. I guess lately its been more of a blog then an actual work log.. I haven't changed much on the car in the last while. I have just been focused on having fun with.. I have a couple of good stories to share..

Over the last month I have made 2 trips down to packwood for autocross events.. My first trip was a great experience the venue is huge! One of the largest venues in the north west region. I struggled with driving all day.. I picked up at least 1 cone on every run I made.. Even though I finished 2nd to last the event was such a blast.. The venue, the drive down everything was amazing. My girl friend and I took a little extra time so that we could do some sight seeing. Unfortunately I have miss placed my memory card, hopefully I'll be able to find it so that I can post some pictures and videos from the trip.

The second trip down to packwood was a lot of fun. I was meeting up with a Mark (Mooneggs). Him and I had been talking about how much fun it would be to have little grudge match and see who was faster.You can check out his build thread to see all the work he's put into his car...
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=59559

here is a couple pictures of our cars

For our morning runs we both co-drove his mx3 using his R-comps.. I had a hard time getting used to Marks car but managed to keep up.. I ended up being 0.290 sec slower then Mark.. For our afternoon runs Mark I and swapped his R-comps over onto my car.. The afternoon runs were much more exciting as Mark and I kept trading fastest times.. Our run group got cut short when I ran low on gas and the car started having over heating issues.With only 3 out of 6 runs under our belt we had driven my car 1.407 seconds faster then Marks car. Mark ended up beating me by 0.162 sec.. Thus proving Mark to be the better driving, but my car is much more sorted out and better set up.

This is a great picture of the venue at packwood. Mark showed me this look out after the event before we parted ways and headed home. The large building on the right with the 2 doors is the main area for your pits..

I am working on putting together some videos from this event..
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

Fast forward to today.. I stayed local for a VCMC event.. This event was 1 of 2 warm up events in prep for the canadian nationals being held in august.. The event brought out 109 drivers today.. The course was fast and well designed. It allowed for a lot of creativity in line choice.. I had a blast today.. The car felt really good, my new/used V710s worked well.. I am sure with a better driver car had more in it, but I still managed to finish up 7th over all in raw time.. 14th over all in pax time.. Best of all I took home first place in Non stock 2..

I decided to take an interesting video of my rear suspension in action.. If you watch closely you can even see both ends of the rear sway bar.. You can watch it twist and see how it works while in motion.. A fair bit of 3 wheel action as well.. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuZYAAWC ... e=youtu.be
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

Looks like some cool action going on there :)
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

Well I hit up the local 1/4 mile drags tonight... It was suuuper hot out today. This really affected the car. I ended up almost 2 seconds slower then last year.. Over all it was a fun night though. Not to many cars out so I got lots of runs in. I took the time to compare how the car did on my street tires and my V710 autocross slicks.. The slicks were a bit faster but not by much..

My fastest run over all using my V710's..
http://youtu.be/ZUciArrqO8I

My fastest run on my street tires...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUgUq...ature=youtu.be

If you don't want to break your transmission don't shift like I was.. I pretty much flat foot shift when drag racing.. Its really hard on the transmission.
crazycanadian

Re: Crazycandians KLG4 swap....A little drag racing action

Post by crazycanadian »

Today was spent as a garage day working on the car.. It was HOT out, so work was slow.. I heard we got up around 30 - 32 deg C today with the humidity being in the 70's up to the 80's %... I am soooo glad my garage faces west and the sun doesn't hit it until 6:30 - 7pm..

My main goal was to solve my over heating/air pocket issues... I had gone to the junk yard on saterday and picked up an over flow set up from an mx3.. The plan was to do a little custom plumming to get it to work.. Well the fancy little pluming had me cursing my brains out.. I had to make 2 smaller 5/16" lines adapt to a 3/4" line.. Welding up a little fiting to make that work proved more challenging then I thought.. My 4th attempt was finally successful... I'll post pictures of the new coolant set up tomorrow..

Once I got to a point where I was just painting and doing some little detail work I decided to attempt to test fit a new front bumper.. With some custom mounts it'll fit about 90% of the way.. It will still need some tweeking to get it to line up properly to the head lights.. Body work is beyond what I know how to do though.. Hopefully Rob can make it out to have a look and give me some input..

Here's a picture of the new bumper.. I'll give anyone who can guess what it is a cookie.. :)

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”