Hood extension / Angry Eye Mod

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
solo_ryder

Re: Hood extension / Angry Eye Mod

Post by solo_ryder »

Couple pics from the ol' archive:

4 Mooneggs

Can't wait to do this!
dinux

Post by dinux »

1992 MX-3 1.6 SOHC black Image
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

it's so interesting how the slightest angle of the line can change how the car's "face" looks... I mean think about animation... most emotion is shown through eye language... makes me think of the movie "cars" :lol:
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Heh, the orange and grey ones looks like "I'm angry! But it's nap time..."
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
TMP39

Post by TMP39 »

i have an awesome idea how bout a little write up of how to make the angry eye hood hmm??

so first what you have to do is take off your passenger side door and make some custom vents on it or buy some body metal. even tho the door is just s good. from what i remember it was about 15" 1/4 from point to point on the original curve make a line on the metal than measure from the curve out to where the hood will end well in my case im guessing it as about 2" or so maybe a little more. oh and before you cut it out on the flat edge that will be the new end of the hood add an extra 3/8" out so it can be flod over to make a nice clean smooth edge. and than form it to the shape of the hood.

ans as you can see the curved part wasnt exactly the best cut i made of the day for eitehr side, but i made it a little bigger than i needed anyway to play around with it for where it would sit on the hood.

so once you have your piece cut out. you'll want to either sand down to metal of just make a quick pass or two with the grinder so you can weld the piece in. and no i dont mena make a fat bead down the hood. just make tacks pretty well start on one end go to the middle go teh the other end and do that a few time till you think its enough. like the little diagrm below.

ok so you have your welds done. now take a grinder or which ever tool you prefer and make the welds smooth. dont get crazy and take teh weld out. just take it down to a point where when the filler is over top and its sanded they wont come through.

so thats outta the way now for the body filler. i put on a good thick coat to start cause i figured why not. and plus once it was nie and tacky i took the cheese grater thing to it and took most of it off anyway, than let the rest go hard and took a sander to it. i filler the low spots and sanded down the high ones than once i was happy with it i took a block and went over the entire thing again to make it look just premo.

and once your happy with you newely made angry eye hood get it painted. mines not painted yet cause the cars not done. and yes i'l put up picks once its fully done :P

ther ya go simple and easy. it took me the better part of a day to do the enire hood. but thats cause i kinda got a little side tracked. but hopefully you get it doen and enjoy havin a sick lookin hood.and the doors wer my old ones.
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

:pimp: You are the man! It takes some ingenuity to think about takin it off the doors, but was the curve enough? Was there any more shaping involved?
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
TMP39

Post by TMP39 »

yea i know it was hard thinking i had to do, but i was putting new doors on anyways. but the curver was ok i had to kinda shape it a bit when i tacked the piece on. and i forgot about the little tit on the top of the headlight from the mold when tere made i had to file it down. but i just fiured body metal isnt going to be the exact gauge of the original metal in the hood so i just went for it and i have 2 others hoods anyway so i wasnt worried abotu screwing up
PURPLEFLEA
antispam: No

Post by PURPLEFLEA »

Be careful guys,or it'll look like you mounted ford contour headlights on yer mxs' ;)
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Thanks for the info on that.

Did you keep the OEM headlight rubber seal on underneath after it was all said and done?

Pics from underneath?
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

solo_ryder wrote:Thanks for the info on that.

Did you keep the OEM headlight rubber seal on underneath after it was all said and done?

Pics from underneath?
x2 man lets see 'em submarine style, from the bottom, ba dumpshhh
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
TMP39

Post by TMP39 »

solo_ryder wrote:
yea i've still got the seals to go back in. the same spot as before. and il get some pics on when i can get time

Return to “Appearance”