Spyder/ carpart4u write-up NOW with HID!

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Mad Cow

Re: Spyder/ carpart4u write-up NOW with HID!

Post by Mad Cow »

Jutzi420 wrote:Naw, my van is 9005/9006.

I was kinda wondering about how legal it'd be. Do cars with factory HIDs and separate highs leave the HIDs on with the High beam?
It's legal if it's 2 bulbs, I know the 2005+ ford escapes turn on both low and highs when highs are turned on, but they're just reflector-based.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Ya, I know some cars that it stays on stock - like 9005 Civics, so it should be legal for us! It would be SUPER bright w/ HIDs + high beams haha...now if you got HID high beams too, you can probably be seen from space :lol:
andrewlcraft

Post by andrewlcraft »

I was kinda wondering about how legal it'd be. Do cars with factory HIDs and separate highs leave the HIDs on with the High beam?
The bulk of factory HID's are projector based, and they physically move the cutoff shield with a solenoid to let more light through and produce a high beam. All the reflector based factory HID systems I've seen physically move some part of the reflector to change the beam pattern to get a high beam. So instead of your high beam switching on a different bulb, or filament, it's moving a cut off shield or housing to produce a highbeam pattern from the same bulb.
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

I'll have to check my mom's 6. I was pretty sure it had a separate high.
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

andrewlcraft wrote:

The bulk of factory HID's are projector based, and they physically move the cutoff shield with a solenoid to let more light through and produce a high beam. All the reflector based factory HID systems I've seen physically move some part of the reflector to change the beam pattern to get a high beam. So instead of your high beam switching on a different bulb, or filament, it's moving a cut off shield or housing to produce a highbeam pattern from the same bulb.

this is what i was referring to, when i was talking about bi-xenons... that's right way to go about it -- there's only one bulb for high and low.

i didn't read as carefully as i should have in what onlytrueromeo was asking how to do.
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

I made up a wire harness for my HIDs when I installed 'em with a couple relays. One so I could send the ballasts power through some 14ga right from the battery, and one so the Lows would stay on with the Highs. I was gonna scan my diagram for it and post it here yesterday but I left it at work :roll:

I'll hook it up tommorow when I get a chance.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29622478@N03/3342431190/

The Relay on the Right is switched by the original low beam wiring and turns on the HIDs. The relay on the left keeps the lows HIDs on when you switch on the highs.

It doesn't show the ballasts, but that should be easy to figure out :D I just hooked all this into my passenger side headlight. and for the driver side I cut off the wires for the lows on the headlight side, they weren't doing anything but I left enough to solder a lead back on later if I wanted to.

You can throw this diagram into your first post if you want fowljesse, this thread might be faq-worthy soon, so it might be better off at the top.
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

You could also get a new harness then just install a diode so that the relay stays on. I did that today and it works GREAT!!!
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

BuGS wrote:You could also get a new harness then just install a diode so that the relay stays on. I did that today and it works GREAT!!!
I know s----all about diodes. How's that work?
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Honestly, highbeams look like a candlelight compared to the HID.
Is anyone converting the highbeams as well?
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
andrewlcraft

Post by andrewlcraft »

SuperK wrote:Honestly, highbeams look like a candlelight compared to the HID.
The bad part about a seperate HID bulb as your highbeam is the slow warm up time, and it's hard on the bulbs to be turned on and off a lot. I'd look into finding some really good halogen bulbs for the highbeams. What kind of bulb is the highbeam on those?
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

A diode is nothing more than an electrical check valve. Electricity flows one way, but not the other.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

SuperK wrote:Honestly, highbeams look like a candlelight compared to the HID.
I thought the same thing, but running the highs along with the HIDs works real well. I'm thinking of upgrading the H1s that came with the lights to a silverstar or something similar, just to get them to blend better.
wytbishop wrote:A diode is nothing more than an electrical check valve. Electricity flows one way, but not the other.
So did you just splice a diode in between the high and low beam wires with the "flow" towards the low beams?
mobius

Post by mobius »

BuGS wrote:You could also get a new harness then just install a diode so that the relay stays on. I did that today and it works GREAT!!!
So you used something like a 12v 15A diode, spliced it in before the relays with the diode flowing towards the low beams?

Any problems with the HID going out switching when you switch the highs on?
MX-3zoom

Post by MX-3zoom »

for some reason i got everyhting(HID) ready for my projectors, problem is gettin them into the projector. my hids are very slim(6000k) but i cant get them in with all that metal brackets there....help....cant handle the stock lamp color.... :crying:
[What can you say, I have a fetish for 3's]
mikeetown wrote: Do what you want to do dude cause in the end, your mx-3 is all about you.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I installed my projectors this weekend and I have a couple of issues.

1. the quality of the 9004 male connector is pretty poor I think. I had a hard time aligning the pins with my harness connector. Also the wires are loose and the lights don't stay on. If I wiggle the wires in the headlight side of the connector the lights go on and off.

2. the headlight relay goes crazy occasionally when the lights are turned off. I can hear it flickering a thousand times a minute. Sometimes it only does so for a second, sometimes it won't stop. It always stops if I have the headlight switch on or if I hit the high beams. I think this may be connected to the DRL system. Have any other Canadians had a problem like this? Have any of you deleted the DRL system? I might try that but I'm not exactly sure what to remove.

Any help would be appreciated.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”