Bolt-in, Plug-and-Play Projector Light Kit

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Taras

Post by Taras »

I think one serious point that everyone is missing here is that these lights will be fully DOT legal, even in Xenon trim. Of course as long as they pass adjustability and vibration measures. Try that with Civic Projectors. For Europe the legality will reside with Hella 90mm unit ECE that unses H7 bulb with city light, also fully conforms to ECE R37 regulations.

John, as far as fitting Bi-Xenon units in, the lights would have to be designed around them as they have a different body than single beam 90mm units and different mounting system. Length may be an issue. If people really want, I can provide Tatsu with Hella 90mm Bi-Xenon units as I have a brand new pair kicking around at home.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Taras

Post by Taras »

Also, here are some price comparisons:

Rx-7: US$850-1500
http://www.rotaryextreme.com/fdindex.html
-click on Headlight kit/Lighting
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/custom ... rsions.asp

Miata: US$425
http://www.midtennmiata.com/round_headlights.htm
- pretty much just the units and a bracket, no plastic moulding here

Chrysler Voyager: E$676 http://www.vmaxx.de/en/public/?fz=10&ca ... t00163.jpg
-in Euros

PT Cruiser: E$726
http://www.vmaxx.de/en/public/?fz=5&cat ... t00439.jpg
-in Euros

Ford Focus: US$500-670
http://www.focussport.com/lighting.htm

VW Golf: US$885

Subary WRX: US$650
http://www.mulsanne.com/html/morette.html
-scroll down
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Taras

Post by Taras »

Chronicle-Rod wrote: And again, if you don't have a car with the Civic conversion, or have never seen one, why are you running down the quality?
Have I seen one? No, do I really need to? No. Why? I took apart Accord "projector" headlights. That was enough for me.

Why do I run down the quality? Isn't it obvious? But If you really wanted to defend the quality of lighting your lights produce, post some real pictures and I'll show you some of mine, let's compare. Oh just to add, mine cost me about the same your Civic ones did, my labour was free.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I've seen Civic projectors on a MX, I helped one of the MOCA members modify a set to fit his MX. I have also seen Hella 90mm projectors in a MX, I have a set that I built myself. The Hella are WAY better than the Civics.
I can get pics of the Hella lights at night and will post them asap. As for the Civics, the guy who we did the conversion (Numonic. he spells it differently here) is doing a engine swap and doesn't have the ability to turn the lights on for me right now to get pics of. So someone who has done the conversion post some pics. This way people can see the difference. I know it would be best to use the same camera in the same local to actually be able to guage the difference so I'll try and get Numonic to find a way to get the lights running, but I doubt it will happen.
As for the price, Tatsu is right on. My attempt at a group buy was more expensive than this one and I only wanted to sell 10 sets. Also these will use stock mounting and I couldn't find a way to do that and keep the aiming of both lights so I came up with a custom mounting. If Tatsu can pull it off 1000 is a VERY good price.
This is thread is funny to me. I knew you guys would moan again, you have at all the other attempts...
An engine swap yields about 80% improvement in power and costs alot more than this. These lamps will yield about a 60% improvement in low beam and 100% in the high beam and it's cost is comparitively much lower. Money well spent IMO.
Just as a note, my one set of projectors cost to build, design, and fit over 1500.00 and I got the stock lamps for free to work from. If you don't like his price try building a set of your own. There are so many difficulties to overcome when designing these it is ridiculous. I applaud Tatsu for his attempt, and if I hadn't already built a set I'd be first in line to buy a set. Especially after having Hellas now.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

Being DOT approved is great and I look foward to a buying a set if all goes well. And I can only imagine how great it'll look painted in blaze red when I take it to the shop.......but once again if it all goes through.
I truely believe this is the best attempt in sometime to make this fly, so lets pull together guys!
If you fall, then get back up........Luck favors the prepared
Taras

Post by Taras »

Oh look, they even use them on racecars and have been so for years:
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Pat and Taras, where the hell were you guys when I was getting it with both barrels from chronical_rod. Like watching me sweat do you?......nasty!!! Taras, nice car....is that the grocery getter?....LOL

Pat, rather than waiting on nmemonic, is it possible for you to post a couple of pics of units in daytime and the pattern at night.
Taras, don't you have some too? I believe a picture is worth a thousand words and the potential younger clientel are extremely visually orientated.

JP, maybe now this can get on track and start taking inventory of whose really interested in these and most importantly, is willing to pay the amounts prescribed.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Taras wrote:I challenge you to show me how they perform. And I know that a lot can be done with Photoshop, but for real, take some pictures. I asked this before and no one have done this properly. Go find a nice flat white wall, put your car against it at 25-30 ft and snap some pictures and then do the same on a dark road to show down the road illumination. I hope someone will prove me wrong, I really do.
Theres these ones...
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... 569#235569
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Jteezy

Post by Jteezy »

I'm sorry, but i have to say something because its ridiculous that people criticize others on here for no reason. You sit here calling us cheap and other degrading names for owning an mx-3 which are rare but range in the 2k price range buddy.Projectors for a fd rx-7 which in itself costs 15k and up for just the stock car.......i mean come on, a 1000 bucks is chump change if you can afford an fd, period. For an mx-3 its another story because for 1000 bucks i can do a motor swap. I dont really care on who gets the projectors or who doesnt but am letting you know, dont stereotype me because lighting isnt number 1 priority to some. Its not a hard decision for me to make on either spending 600 bucks on a brand new turbonetics t3/t4 hybrid, or on a set of projectors :wink: ? To some lighting may matter more than others, and those are probably the ones that will join in on the group buy, and power to them. But i mean seriously, its a freakin mx-3, nothing really is mainstream for our cars, never have been, and may never be. Everything for the most part is custom, and finally when something isn't custom and is actually made especially for our cars, we're supposed to burn a hole through our pockets because the opportunity may never arise? For those that insist that our community is cheap for not wanting better lighting are wrong, and should reconsider your statements. Good luck on the group buy. Peace
Taras

Post by Taras »

Jteezy wrote:..... You sit here calling us cheap and other degrading names .......... dont stereotype me because lighting isnt number 1 priority to some. ......To some lighting may matter more than others, and those are probably the ones that will join in on the group buy, and power to them. .....we're supposed to burn a hole through our pockets.
-nobody is calling anyone any degrading names......
-if lighting is not a priority to some, then they do not participate in this forum and do not really care if they have projectors or what not......
-you are not "supposed" to do anything, your money to spend, want turbo, go and buy it, what stereo equipment, go buy it......
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Taras

Post by Taras »

jschrauwen wrote:
Taras, don't you have some too? I believe a picture is worth a thousand words and the potential younger clientel are extremely visually orientated.
Yeah, I have:

H9 90mm low beams
H9 90mm high beams
90mm Bi-Xenon units

There are plenty pictures on the Internet of various beam patterns. But if I actually get to drag out my lazy arse at night to take some pictures, I may just do it for the entertaiment factor of this thread. For now, just a few random ones:

Courtesy of Hella, incl the new 50mm units:

High and Low:

Another shot of Lows:

Hella 90mm Bi-Xenon units, fully sealed:
Last edited by Taras on July 19th, 2005, 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Taras

Post by Taras »

-H1 or H3?
-any other ones at a wider wall so you can see full beam?
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Taras

Post by Taras »

Wanna see Hella 90mm overkill? Here you go, Brabus G500 Mercedes. Took a picture in Europe a two years ago. Looks like he's got a two pairs of fogs, lows and highs, probably in Xenon for lows/highs as well.

Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

One beam is H1 and the other H3. I can get some more pics but unfortunately it won't be for a few days.

The light output is comparable to the standard glass headlights that use a H4 - maybe not quite as good but pretty close.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
verzutiko
Supporting Member

Post by verzutiko »

Taras wrote:For Europe the legality will reside with Hella 90mm unit ECE that unses H7 bulb with city light, also fully conforms to ECE R37 regulations.
:?: Que?

Call me stupid, but I really don't understand what you're saying. Could you repeat that in english? I can probably look it up, but I don't know where to start, and you seem to know what you're talking about... :)
'92 GS
My worklog

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”