Need some ideas for Projector headlights.

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
JasonH

Re: Need some ideas for Projector headlights.

Post by JasonH »

I like the lights on both of the MX-3s posted in this thread. The only thing I might add or make available would be an integrated turn signal (or a knockout or pre-marked hole.) I guess it could also be used as a "city light" or parking light.<p>Lenses are probably a bad idea. The drawbacks outweigh the benefits. I can go into detail if needed, but this is probably agreed for the most part.<p>Making the housings out of fiberglass with a black painted finish is what I would do. That way, if a buyer wants to keep them black, they have to do nothing. If they want them to match their car (and it's not black) they can have them painted, If they want them to be carbon fiber finish, and number of CF-look or real carbon fiber films are available. Yes, it would be a lot of work, but it's cheap and possible.<p>If there are standard projector units (one for low beam and one for high) that are readily available for a reasonable cost, I would have no trouble assembling the units myself. Maybe a group buy could even be organized for the necessary parts.
monstar-mx-3

Post by monstar-mx-3 »

barry- maybe we could get rid of the thrid small light ( the turning signals) Would that save some space?
Taras

Post by Taras »

Barry,
I like your idea of just doing the housing. You will never be able to suit everyone with their demands. Some people want more practical designs that will produce good beam without glare. On the issue of angel eyes, I think they are cool, but only when made by Hella and on the stock BMW. You can too get the original Hella angel-eyes from Germany. They do make them in smaller diameters for 3 series. Prepare to pay through your nose for style. I would rather spend my money on proper HID's and be able to see at night.<p>The design consideration that I wish to keep in mind when designing the front covers is not to place the projector too deep into the housing, otherwise you will have beam reflected from the bottom portion of the housing, thus producing glare. Also, I hope that all materials and paints used are hi-temp.<p>I know that most people like just the look, but the main point here is the be able to see at night. I think that the design of the projectors on that black Mx is the best. Exactly what Hella makes for Focus and A3. They also look great. Easy to make. <p>Other points I wanted to note:
Monty: you do not want 9004 in a projector. It is a dual filament bulb too, producing only 700lm in the low beam, compared to H7's 1550lm. The only transverse filament bulb that works well (questionable)in projectors is H3, even that is only for foglights. APC places H3 in low beams for Honda projector headlights, and it is terrible, mind you it is APC.<p>Barry: have you considered lenses out of polycarbonate (lexan). You can get it with scratch resistant coating and UV filter. If you do not have UV filter, your plastic lenses will go yellow in a few years.<p>Manach: Miata 01+ projectors are small. The smaller you go the worse gets your beam. Even compare A4 vs A6 projectors and their respective beams. Mind you we have size considerations. I do know that Hella Bi-Xenon barely fits.<p>Aiden: The black Mx-3 has projectors exposed too. As you already know Hella 90/120 mm projectors have protective glass in front of the curved lens. It is tempered and pretty thick. They do use them for road courses and rally, so I think they are pretty tough. I guess you could always design a piece of lexan in front of it. It would be especially easy in those Lambo style ones. Just mashine the aluminum case a bit longer.<p>Barry: to crack your headlights open - 10min in the oven at 220F after you pre-heated it and on the cookie pan. To seal it back up. Warm it up again, use existing sealant and add some Hi-Temp Black RTV sealer.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

I will have to suggest us not having a blinker integrated with it, we would have to splice it into the blinker wire and I just see too much trouble with it. Not to mention the fact that multiple blinkers in the front would look kinda silly. I do like the angel eye idea that you posted, I would be in definitly if this were a part of the project.
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
monstar-mx-3

Post by monstar-mx-3 »

I'm with Jason. we should do a housing unit. It would be a whole lot cheaper and easier to install.
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

don;t do angle eyes cause there cool and all but next year they'll be out
just do some like on that miata above
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Post by neverenuff »

Ok what do you giys think about this?
Image<p>
with the angel eyes. Now the cover can be like the clear corner lens from corksport. It would be sent to you in two pieces, the housing, and the cover. Once you get the housing painted to the collor of your choice you put the cover on your self. if someone wants it CF then it would be a bit more money thats it. So there are ony two styles CF and non CF.
Manach

Post by Manach »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by NEVER ENUFF CUSTOMS:
Ok what do you giys think about this?
Image<p>
with the angel eyes. Now the cover can be like the clear corner lens from corksport. It would be sent to you in two pieces, the housing, and the cover. Once you get the housing painted to the collor of your choice you put the cover on your self. if someone wants it CF then it would be a bit more money thats it. So there are ony two styles CF and non CF.
<hr></blockquote><p>
Those are the kind of projector I would try to buy!
Manach
Ex Mx'er with a Mx-3 1993..

Still in the Mazda Familly with :
-Mazda Rx-7 1987 GXL (Not running, one housing does not compress)
-Mazda Protege MazdaSpeed 2003.5 Titanium!

Still got 3 Engines!
- B6-ZE : Turbo Festiva project (Waiting donor car)
- BP-DE : Trader for a B6-ZE 1994 for parts upgrade in the Festiva project
- K8 : For sell. Pm me for info!

Once you go turbo, you can never go back!
monstar-mx-3

Post by monstar-mx-3 »

is that photo a photoshop Cut & paste job or does some have a set of those in their car?
monstar-mx-3

Post by monstar-mx-3 »

BARRY!!! got an idea!! Why dont we take the projection lights from an intergra..then mold the housing around that to fit an mx-3? It could get the result as never pic.
NateDog

Post by NateDog »

hey i like the housing idea... cause people can upgrade their lights when they need to and they can keep up w/ the times that way. im down w/ that idea. let us know a price and date when u get them.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JDM:
Barry,
I like your idea of just doing the housing. You will never be able to suit everyone with their demands. Some people want more practical designs that will produce good beam without glare. On the issue of angel eyes, I think they are cool, but only when made by Hella and on the stock BMW. You can too get the original Hella angel-eyes from Germany. They do make them in smaller diameters for 3 series. Prepare to pay through your nose for style. I would rather spend my money on proper HID's and be able to see at night.<p>The design consideration that I wish to keep in mind when designing the front covers is not to place the projector too deep into the housing, otherwise you will have beam reflected from the bottom portion of the housing, thus producing glare. Also, I hope that all materials and paints used are hi-temp.<p>I know that most people like just the look, but the main point here is the be able to see at night. I think that the design of the projectors on that black Mx is the best. Exactly what Hella makes for Focus and A3. They also look great. Easy to make. <p>Barry: have you considered lenses out of polycarbonate (lexan). You can get it with scratch resistant coating and UV filter. If you do not have UV filter, your plastic lenses will go yellow in a few years.<p>Barry: to crack your headlights open - 10min in the oven at 220F after you pre-heated it and on the cookie pan. To seal it back up. Warm it up again, use existing sealant and add some Hi-Temp Black RTV sealer.
<hr></blockquote><p>Ihave taken my headlights apart already and have them in two pieces. We will be forming it out of Fiberglass or a form of it. The lense wil probably be lucite and I'll check on the sratch/UV coating. As far as lights go, we'll just have to see. Some people can afford the higher priced lenses and if we can come up with a good design, we wont have to include headlights, and make it much cheaper than with. As far as angel eyes go, That i'd have to play around with. Some like, some dont, we;ll just have to come up with a design and test the waters so to speak.
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

I think it's a good idea to just sell the light pod.<p>I am going to be doing a bi-xenon conversion, like Taras, so that would work out good for me.<p>Projector lights are easy to get for people afterwards anyways. eBay has craploads of projectors (the good ones - halogen at least) and they're cheap.<p>As well, they are many places other than that who sell them.<p>And, for the lenses, you can always put that 3M film on it that protects the lenses from UV rays and rocks over time. You wont have to polish them 5 years later either.<p>~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

we'd probably use dual driving lights
both ~ 3 inches. If you see any lights u guys like, post PICS and links. so I can get sizes.
Taras

Post by Taras »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>we'd probably use dual driving lights
both ~ 3 inches.<hr></blockquote><p>Barry, driving lights = hi-beams.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”