Dash Lights?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Grants
BANNED Member

Re: Dash Lights?

Post by Grants »

What wire stated to smoke? Did it blow the fuse?

There shouldn't be enough current draw on the dash lights to burn any wire out. You couldn't have accidently shorted to the other wire (red / black) too?
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

yeah the little plastic thing has three prongs the red the black and the red/black when i put the wire into the black first and then when i put it into the red it sparks and the wire gets really hot and i have to drop it
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
93 323 Tranny, ACT clutch, Exhaust, cold air intake, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires NGK V-power platinum plugs,engine dress up,custom interior(almost done), GS front bumper, GS 5 spoke wheels Painted white.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Did the dash lights come on when you did it?

Sounds like your shorting the wrong ones. You absolutely sure you've got the right prongs in the plug? And they're not shorting to the other wire? Have another look and make 100% certain. Thats what it sounds like to me.

I wouldn't keep doing it though cause if your bridging the right wires it means theres a short somewhere else after the dimmer.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

ok i will look agian when i have more light
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
93 323 Tranny, ACT clutch, Exhaust, cold air intake, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires NGK V-power platinum plugs,engine dress up,custom interior(almost done), GS front bumper, GS 5 spoke wheels Painted white.
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

yeah i am useing the right wires and it is still doing it........?
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Didn't it work a coupla days ago?

That means theres either a short in the wire going to the dash lights from the dimmer or in the dash lights themselves. The dimmer is probably shot too because of the short.

Take out the bridging wire and don't put it back till you find the short.
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

can i cut the three wires that go to the plastic thing ? and bridger just them together so i know for sure nothing it hitting the other one ? and how do i find a short and how do i fix it ?
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

You can cut them if you want but remember you might want to rejoin them if you replace the dimmer later.

!!! Don't twist them together and then turn on your lights though cause if theres a short the wires will get hot again and burn something out (hopefully the fuse but maybe not).

If you decide to cut them, get them ready to bridge together, then turn on your lights AND THEN touch them together. If theres a short there'll be a spark and the wires will start heating up again so be careful. Double check you got the right wires too before shorting them together. Then check again!

If theres no short there might still be a very small spark just as you touch them together but the dash lights would come on ok and nothing would get hot or blow the fuse.

Good luck hope they work.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

And if you cut the 3 wires DON"T cut them all at the same time - do them one at a time
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

alright, but do you think i should be useing speaker wire or something thicker ?

<small>[ August 26, 2004, 03:12 AM: Message edited by: m92_MX3 ]</small>
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Speaker wire is ok but it has a lot of strands that sorta go all over the place if your not careful. But if your cutting the cable you won't need any bridging wire - just touch them together
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

oh yeah duh long day lol
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

whoa!! whenever you 'short' something you should use an inline fuse!!!
So if the fuse is for the dash lights I think a 5amp or 10amp will do (check the fuse in the panel). Then you won't be smoking - just busting fuses.

A lot safer :driver:
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

well i would give you guys some moreinfo but my car is toast of as right now some jack as$ in town tonight decied to see what the wire was for that goes to the MAF when i was showing off my cold air and cover and rips it out so i had to beat him down so the thing isnt moving for awile, the dumb things people do :rant2:
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Post by Ricksmx3 »

Man sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble. And for that guy that pulled that wire he deserved the beat down. Well good luck with fixing it.
2010 MazdaSpeed 3

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”