Dash Lights?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Dash Lights?

Post by Ricksmx3 »

OK. All of my dash light are out. I pulled out my gauge cluster looked at the bulbs and they are all good. The cel light works the brake light works but the dash lights dont work that light up the gauges. I need to know if there is something else i can try.
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
fry_81

Re: Dash Lights?

Post by fry_81 »

have you checked the fuses? thats usually the place to start.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

The dash lights are on the same fuse as the tail lights. Check they are working. The dash lights run through the dimmer switch, can you check you've got a voltage there?
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

yeah man i have having the same damn thing happen wiht my 92 RS , nothing in my cluter will light up gauge wise but my tail lights work, so if you find the souliution tell me and same if i find one i will tell you, thanks
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
93 323 Tranny, ACT clutch, Exhaust, cold air intake, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires NGK V-power platinum plugs,engine dress up,custom interior(almost done), GS front bumper, GS 5 spoke wheels Painted white.
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

yeah man i have having the same thing happen with my 92 RS , nothing in my cluter will light up gauge wise but my tail lights work, so if you find the souliution tell me and same if i find one i will tell you, thanks
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
93 323 Tranny, ACT clutch, Exhaust, cold air intake, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires NGK V-power platinum plugs,engine dress up,custom interior(almost done), GS front bumper, GS 5 spoke wheels Painted white.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

M92_MX3 - you haven't said what voltages you got at your dimmer. Have you checked? You just keep saying they don't work but haven't given any details so we can offer any help
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Post by Ricksmx3 »

Yeah i got voltage to the switch but my lights will not work. I wonder if it can be the switch. Every thing else works except for the dash lights. When i took out the gauge cluster there was this green thing that looked like it blonged in a computer. Could that be the problem?

<small>[ August 18, 2004, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: Ricksmx3 ]</small>
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

That green thing sounds sus but I don't know what it is.

When you say you got voltage at the switch - there's 3 wires - 2 should have voltage and one should be ground (with the lights turned on). And with the dimmer plugged in.

Is this what you've got? If only one cable has voltage the dimmer is u/s.

<small>[ August 18, 2004, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: Grants ]</small>
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

Check your dimmer switch. That happened to me awhile go, I took it to a shop and they said that all the wires at the dimmer switch were screwed and the had to by pass it.
1993 MX-3 GS 5 spd, KL-ZE swap, kl31 ecu, 110 amp alternator, Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, SSautocrome headers, High flow cat, Pacesetter high flow cat-back, B&M shortshifter, Clear Sigs/Sides.
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Post by Ricksmx3 »

Thanks for the info guy si will trying buying another switch.
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

You should prove that it is the switch first by bridgeing it out. You probably don't want a spare one if it isn't the switch.
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Post by Ricksmx3 »

How you do that?
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Take the dimmer switch out and in the plug, bridge between the ground wire and the wire THAT IS NOT positive. I wouldn't be game to suggest the cable colours as yours might be different to mine (but I think its red).

I've done this on mine and it worked OK. Be careful though as you don't wanna short out the circuit and blow a fuse or worse.

Its easier just to check the voltages to see if the dimmer is OK. With the ights on (and the dimmer connected), one cable should be ground, one should be positive and the third (red?) should have variable voltage depending on the position of the rheostat.

<small>[ August 19, 2004, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: Grants ]</small>
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

not to make this topic my own, but i need a voltage meter right ? and what do you mean when the dimmer in pluged in dont i need to take it out to look ?
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Post by Ricksmx3 »

Ok i will do that. But just incase does anyone have an exrta dimmer switch i can buy?
2010 MazdaSpeed 3

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”