Crazycandians KLG4 swapped autocross beast

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Crazycandians KLG4 swap.... FINSHED! first autocross don

Post by Daninski »

OBD2 with a KL36 ECU? I'm curious how using an OBD1 ECU works on an OBD2 harness and what advantage is there using an OBD2 harness.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Daninski wrote:OBD2 with a KL36 ECU? I'm curious how using an OBD1 ECU works on an OBD2 harness and what advantage is there using an OBD2 harness.
No other way around. OBDI car converting to OBDII using OBDII DE ECU is getting as much power as my ZE is with KL36 with the same bolt on's... The conversion harness allows you to maintain your engine bay harness, makes it almost plug n play. The only advantage is the diag port and converting to a MAF from a VAF which way more efficient and allows more air. I would not think that swapping to a MAF would yield the gains that they are but they are.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Forgot about the maf. I tried to find harnesses for our cars about 4 years ago and there was nothing to be had. I tried to get a company to produce them but they said not enough demand. :(
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
crazycanadian

Re: Crazycandians KLG4 swap.... FINSHED!

Post by crazycanadian »

Josh wrote:Agreed!

I have been reading a lot on PT and MX6 and the guys swapping from OBDI to OBDII are making what my ZE is at the wheels using the KL36 ECU on DE'S.... I dont get it, but I am seriously thinking about converting to OBDII... especially with the conversion harness being made right now.
Don't get what I have done to my car and what other guys are doing mixed up... My car is not using a KL36 ecu or anything from a milly... Thats a whole different set up... Whats done on my car will not swap over to a DE...

My car is a stock 2001 KLG4 from a 626.. I have the cheapest ebay headers on it, 2.5" exhaust, fidanza flywheel, stock Luk clutch kit for a 626/mx6 V6 and my home built intake.. I am using a stock 99 626 engine bay harness and the stock ECU... I even have the largest body universal catalytic converter from walker installed on the car...

I have read a little bit about the MAF conversions... It sounds like a pretty interesting option.. I don't think it would be to overly hard to do...
Last edited by crazycanadian on October 12th, 2012, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

Small updates... Tonight I am getting the car ready for the final autocross of the season this sunday... I am hoping the weather report is wrong and we can get some sunshine.. If its sunny I am going to test out the difference between a stock mx3 rear sway bar and my white line rear sway bar...

I played a bit with the scanner at work today... I was curious about my odd idle issue... While I was at it I decided to play with my new phone and took a video of the scan data... This is why I love OBD2... So much easier to diagnose... Top left is loop status(closed/open loop), Top right is Idle air control valve command in %.. Bottom is Engine rpm... Whats not shown in TPS, but its sitting at 0.61v at idle(this is good)...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO4F_dgfB1Q&feature=plcp

A little info.. The ECU came from a car with an automatic transmission... I have nothing for automatic transmission hooked up... Also I have non of the emissions control systems hooked up... I am throwing 10 trouble codes because of all this stuff missing... I am not throwing any kind of code that directly relates to idle or any kind of drivability problem though... From looking at the video why do you think the car is idling as it does?? It will do this high idle every time you come to a stop light or touch the throttle..

Its a real shame mazda and ford split up... I have the factory ford scan tool at work.... Mazda uses the same scan tool as ford, but since they have split up my ford subscription wont let me scan or program mazda's anymore... :( I am working on getting my pass through programer up and working.. Hopefully next week I will be able to reprogram the computer for a 5 speed...

Once I have the computer reprogrammed I can work on installing some of the emission control systems and make this car 100% OBD2 compliant... Then I can wire in my check engine light and have the car work as if it was 100% factory... :)
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
crazycanadian wrote: At 100km/h I was doing 2500rpm.. At 1200km/h I was doing 2800 rpm...
1) That must be one hell of a gear ratio in your final drive and 5th gear, and 2) Your KLG4 swap is making much more power than your letting us on to believe...

Thanks bud... I have no clue what kind of power this thing is supposed to make... Its pretty much a stock KLG4 swap, using a factory KLG4 ecu... The motor just has a few bolt ons and thats it...

The car weighed in at 2310lbs at the track when I ran it...
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by kulluminati777 »

Is it just me or do you have FOUR LSD's and i have none :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

kulluminati777 wrote:Is it just me or do you have FOUR LSD's and i have none :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

haha... Its ok, you are just seeing things... I only have 1 LSD.. All the other diffs I have are stock open ones from various different G series transmissions...
kulluminati777

Re: Crazycandians KLG4 swap.... tweeking and racing

Post by kulluminati777 »

oh ok i see. You can tell i dont know anything about transmissions lol
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

Wow what a wet day autocross racing... Until this week we had been enjoying 58 days straight with no rain... Today it decided to unload on us... The car handled great.. It was pretty slippery and made for a lot of fun driving...

I have had the rear sway bar disconnected/removed now for the last 2 events... Counter to what everyone things this had made the car very tail happy... Adjusting the shocks and playing with tire pressures has been the key to dialing it back in and making the car a lot of fun/faster to drive... Next season I'll be test and tuning to see whats faster... No rear bar/ Whiteline 19mm rear bar or Stock mx3 rear bar....

This is my first run video... I was a little sideways almost lost it coming in to the stop box..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9pz1PRxodQ&feature=plcp

My second run... I dropped the tire pressures from 38/32 down to 32/30 and bumped up my front shocks to 3/4 stiff.. This made a big difference.. I picked up a little over a second...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDCfJlwn0IE&feature=plcp

My third run.. I dropped the tire pressure down even more to 28/30... This didn't make a big difference but I did run a much better line and picked up a few more tenths...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDCfJlwn0IE&feature=plcp

A video of my friend Robs 323 from my worker station... Here you can see just how ugly it was out there..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWExWj6807o&feature=plcp
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

Some video of my fastest morning run.. My friend Rob took this, you can really see how wet it was out there in this video...
http://youtu.be/hK3_6wbG2cs
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

Well I have been daily driving the car now for a while. Other then the odd idle when I come to a stop I have had no problem. I have been looking into the idle and I believe its because I am using a computer from an automatic car. I was hoping I could simply reflash the pcm over but this generation of pcm is to old even at the dealership level you can't change calibration files once they are programed into the computer. You can only update them. For now the idle will stay as is until I find a good deal on a computer from a 5 speed car.

I had changed up my cooling system a little to fix the air pocket/high temps on cold start up. It was a really simple fix.

Before

After

My first tank of gas showed some great milage improvements. mixed hwy and city with the klde was getting around 22- 23 mpg. With the KLG4 and the new transmission I got 27 mpg. There is a good change I will see 30mpg on the hwy.
JimB

Post by JimB »

Not sure if you are having the same idle problem I was having or not but this what I had and figured out. My idle would run a bit high at first then would start to bounce between 500 and 1500/2000 rpm when stopped and in gear (not always when out of gear). There was a great thread here a while back that pointed me in the right direction. Can't find it right now but someone may remember it.

When I first started looking at it the codes were saying that it was an faulty o2 sensor.
However, I found that my air intake boot was old, brittle and had hole in it. I replaced that. Many thread point out that would fix the problem.
Worked for a bit then cam back so removed the throttle body and cleaned it (very dirty). When I put it all back together I had to set the idle screw close then maaaybe turn it half back to get the idle right. Have not had a problem since. At least not with the idle.

Hope this helps.
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

JimB wrote:Not sure if you are having the same idle problem I was having or not but this what I had and figured out. My idle would run a bit high at first then would start to bounce between 500 and 1500/2000 rpm when stopped and in gear (not always when out of gear). There was a great thread here a while back that pointed me in the right direction. Can't find it right now but someone may remember it.

When I first started looking at it the codes were saying that it was an faulty o2 sensor.
However, I found that my air intake boot was old, brittle and had hole in it. I replaced that. Many thread point out that would fix the problem.
Worked for a bit then cam back so removed the throttle body and cleaned it (very dirty). When I put it all back together I had to set the idle screw close then maaaybe turn it half back to get the idle right. Have not had a problem since. At least not with the idle.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Jim for the info.. Is your car a KLDE or KLG4?
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

Small update.. I tracked my fuel millage today as I traveled down to vancouver washington for the meet... doing pretty much all freeway averaging around 70mph I got 36mpg...

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”