Thefez's 92 MX3 GS (Buying a RX-8!)

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
SuperK
Supporting Member

Re: Thefez's 92 MX3 GS *KL-01*

Post by SuperK »

Are those KL01 heads or KL31 heads? I'm guessing the KL31 with the square intake ports? Are you doing the DE spring/retainer conversion?

You're probably looking at 500-600ish to get Colt to regrind your current cams unless you can source some from a current owner. Ryan I think is running some 218's (iirc) and says that it kills the lower band pretty bad.

I would like to see you powder coat your intake manifold too!
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Thefez wrote: when i started this car i told my self i wanted to take my time and do everything right the first time and make everything look clean. I really hope all the P&P work even tho its not alot will pay off.. id really like to get a set of kl-31's or colts befor the heads are completely put back together so that gives me about 2 weeks so locate a set.. also want/need to get another UDP and outlaw spacers
It's worth doing it that way, you won't regret it! :)
Honestly, I recommend you wait out for the Colts. ProbeTalk has a bulk buy 2-3 times a year for them, and you would be able to save a little that way, unless you find them used(by far the cheapest option!) before they open another bulk buy.

If I see anyone selling a UDP I'll let you know!
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Thefez
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Thefez »

SuperK wrote:Are those KL01 heads or KL31 heads? I'm guessing the KL31 with the square intake ports? Are you doing the DE spring/retainer conversion?

You're probably looking at 500-600ish to get Colt to regrind your current cams unless you can source some from a current owner. Ryan I think is running some 218's (iirc) and says that it kills the lower band pretty bad.

I would like to see you powder coat your intake manifold too!
no actually there kl-01's its a milly engine so it has the square ports. If ive been doing my research correctly then I belive that it should have about 170hp160tq so im hoping with the p&p work a UDP and some cams to be at the 200-250 range. Also if what you say is true about the cams then honestly I rather go with the kl-31's if I can find some I dont wana lose the little bottem end thats there... I just painted the intake mani didn't feel like ripping out all the VRIS stuff to powdercoat it since I want to locate a KLG4 mani and have the extrude honed(basicly a hole inside and out p&p job) since it seems they net alittle more tq so that one will be coated "chrome"

MrMazda92 wrote:
Thefez wrote: when i started this car i told my self i wanted to take my time and do everything right the first time and make everything look clean. I really hope all the P&P work even tho its not alot will pay off.. id really like to get a set of kl-31's or colts befor the heads are completely put back together so that gives me about 2 weeks so locate a set.. also want/need to get another UDP and outlaw spacers
It's worth doing it that way, you won't regret it! :)
Honestly, I recommend you wait out for the Colts. ProbeTalk has a bulk buy 2-3 times a year for them, and you would be able to save a little that way, unless you find them used(by far the cheapest option!) before they open another bulk buy.

If I see anyone selling a UDP I'll let you know!
thanks for looking out man im looking for a KLG4 intake mani as well, and even if you see kl-31's im down for them as well, because if I upgrade to colts im going to wana get new valve springs(interprep), locks and retainers..
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

No problem! Are you only looking for square port thermospacers, or would you modify oval port ones to fit? I do have 2 sets of oval port thermospacers.

You would be just fine with factory(DE) retainers and valvelocks(keepers), but the Interprep springs would be nice, especially with the race grind aftermarket cams.

The 210 NA grind shouldn't obliterate your low end, but won't give you quite as much up top as the 218s, they'll still outperform KL31s anyday.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Thefez

Post by Thefez »

MrMazda92 wrote:No problem! Are you only looking for square port thermospacers, or would you modify oval port ones to fit? I do have 2 sets of oval port thermospacers.

You would be just fine with factory(DE) retainers and valvelocks(keepers), but the Interprep springs would be nice, especially with the race grind aftermarket cams.

The 210 NA grind shouldn't obliterate your low end, but won't give you quite as much up top as the 218s, they'll still outperform KL31s anyday.
well with p&ping i figered id have to modifi the square port one's some as well. do u have the TB spacer has well? take some pics for me cuz you've peeked my interests goos sir
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I do not have a TB spacer, but I'll dig the IM spacers out for you. :)
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Thefez

Post by Thefez »

MrMazda92 wrote:I do not have a TB spacer, but I'll dig the IM spacers out for you. :)
Thanks man! What do i owe you?
Thefez

Re: Thefez's 92 MX3 GS *Blown up!!!!!*

Post by Thefez »

For anyone following the build i blew up the k8 tonight pics an updates in the A.M
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

KABOOOOM!!!

Curious, honestly, what did you do to it? :confused2:
Thefez

Post by Thefez »

MrMazda92 wrote:KABOOOOM!!!

Curious, honestly, what did you do to it? :confused2:
I was driving home from picking up a friend from the airport and it started ticking realy loadly then knocking once i got on the exit i put the clutch in and it ust died... not really sure what i did but I got it to start after a jump but if i didn't keep on the gas then it would just die... im thinkin a dropped valve jumped timing or somthing of the sort ill find out more in the next few days once I swap to the KL and have time to tear down the k8.
Thefez

Post by Thefez »

Well after over a week now the car still isn't running... the old motors out tho and the new ones in. currently working on getting the exhaust all worked out since some stuff wouldn't clear. But also when it comes to the motor i dont have spark? none at all? not really sure why either... im useing the distly from the motor I pulled outta the junk yard.. not sure if it works or not but im gunna swap in the disty from the K8 and see if that changes anything.. pics up later
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

i like it!
mikeetown
93 Black GS - J-spec KLDE, CLEAN CAR
92 Red GS - J-spec K8ZE, stripped interior - Written off
2004 Infinity G35 Track Edition - 6 speed manual
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=79142
Thefez

Post by Thefez »

Well the K8's out and watiing to be torn down and ripped apart for scrap. and the freshly rebuilt KL is in the car and after some issuses i had worked thru via ->http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/posting.php? ... 15&t=80569

I got the car to start. i know for sure I have some vac leaks and I need to look at my vac set up for all the stuff on the intake manifold since im running a milly set up just need to make sure that i have everything right, mybe someone can put me in the right direction.. I am using the K8 TB on the Milli mani does anyone know if im gunnna run into issues with that? When i pulled the motor I the TB was missing..

Pics up tonight
Thefez

Re: Thefez's 92 MX3 GS *KL*

Post by Thefez »

Well after about 2 weeks up hating my car i got it all back together and running and driving :) the KL is crazy compared to the K8 its obserd.. but like any major project i have a list of little things that need to be done to the car.

Find vac leaks
New PS idler pully
New SPW's
Fix PS leak
Bleed Clutch agien
Extend VRIS Harness
Extend EGR Harness (Even tho its plugged dont want the code)
Lift motor and uncock rear mount
Replace/fill all mounts
Fix/clean TB or replace
redesign intake
Fix exhaust leaks

im sure theres some more things here and there but its all just small things that need to be done to get the car running 100%

SO... heres all whats done to the motor

Full Rebuild on OEM parts
P&P Heads
P&P IM
Headers
2.5" Exhaust
3" Intake
Stage 1 Clutch
K8 Light weight flywheel
Light weight PS Pully

Pics up tomarro
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Re: Thefez's 92 MX3 GS *KL*

Post by MrMazda92 »

Good man!!!

I'm glad you got her going strong again!
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”