turboing a k8

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Josh
Supporting Member

Re: turboing a k8

Post by Josh »

MrMazda92 wrote:I meant no disrespect Josh, I've been a little impatient lately with this type of debate... :shrug: I'm sorry if I was short with my replies.

Honestly, I just figure people haven't given the K8 it's due credit. Especially in recent years, as you(and a few others) have mentioned older members having done some performance work on them. Honestly, those are the worklogs I need to be digging through... Do any stand out off the top of your head? I've been meaning to learn more about the K8 for a while now.

Thank you btw.
It was before the time of worklogs, long long ago. but i am sure i could dig some stuff up.

Truth is they are just like any other NA motor. They are a great engine, there was a guy here in Seattle that about 6 - 7 years ago he bored and stroked his K8 to a 2.2L it was impressive. From what i was always told is the rods are a weak point when boosting thus only being able to boost 6-7 ish lbs for reliability, now thats not to say you cant go higher just your margin for error becomes a lot smaller and just an FMU is not a suitable form of fuel management at that point, and your reliability goes out the window. But this is the same with every kind of piston engine. I think its just easier for most to quickly throw out the K8 and go to a DE or ZE, who knows.

Well as of last night I am the proud owner of one white 94' GS with a ZE swap so I may be spending a bit more time on the V6 side ;) I am in love all over again
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Ah! I would appreciate that VERY much!!

2.2L? Sounds like a PITA to me, there are plenty of other methods to make the engine more efficient, without just increasing displacement... Still, that'd be an interesting build to read!

I imagine the rods are a little wimpier than the KL ones, but the pistons should be considerably lighter, I figured that would offset the difference in rod strength though.

I need to find that page that listed the K8 and KL crank stroke length...

If I were going to boost, I wouldn't do a damn thing without a proper EMS. Honestly, I wouldn't put the money into FI with goals below 300 HP though. That being said, I don't feel like filling my shop with spare trannies/axles either :lol:

Congratulations on the buy! I'm sadly being forced to sell my second MX...
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

marcdh wrote:Yea totally, k8s are pennys, people give them away! No harm in blowing a few up :D
Depends on where you look, from people on here, ya, but everywhere else, they charge a premium for them. Why? Supply and demand. If you lookin the regular market, K8's are not nearly as available as the KL, so wreckers will charge considerably more.
marcdh wrote:Yea 14s is a bit lame, must have had terrible 60's! However the reliability implied there is interesting, especially considering the FMU and therefore running stock NA timing.
only being able to boost 6-7 ish lbs for reliability, now thats not to say you cant go higher just your margin for error becomes a lot smaller and just an FMU is not a suitable form of fuel management at that point, and your reliability goes out the window.
That's usually the big problem with turboing a K8 is reliability and performance, spending more for a turbo kit, getting roughly the same performance, yet sacrificing reliability and engine life. I've gone up against a DE that did 14's int he 1/4
MrMazda92 wrote:I imagine the rods are a little wimpier than the KL ones, but the pistons should be considerably lighter, I figured that would offset the difference in rod strength though.
The issue wouldn't be with weight of the assembly (unless you're making a rev machine), the system has to be able to widthstand the forces of the explosion going on in the cylinder.

Ya, you're right, there's not many out there. I remember MrSpanky blowing his motor after a Scrape By The Lake car show once. I don't think it was posted on the boards, chatted with him over MSN (or was it ICQ actually) since he really wasn't an active member on here when it came to posting about his motor, but he was an active club member and show car.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I've had 5 K8s come up for <$150 on Craigslist in the last 9 months :lol: All in my city, to be honest...

Sadly, no MX-3.com members are from Eugene! I've even placed a few fliers on CLEAN examples... No bites. :(

On topic for cost, you could have a more powerful engine, stronger trans, and all for less than a quality "high" boost setup for a K series costs. Seriously, if it comes down to $ alone, we're all idiots for using K series engines for performance builds in the first place. I have zero doubt that you could squeeze one of MANY available engines that produce an excess of 300 HP into these cars for less than a quality turbo setup costs.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

I have two K8's with 150km (95k miles) or less

:D

Still no plans for either of them, just spares for when the winter DD DE blows. (fairly confident #6 is contacting the head)

I do think about building a K8 for shits.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

If/When you take the plunge, I'll be a sounding board for ideas. ;)
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:

Return to “Forced Induction”