turboing a k8

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
carizle
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

turboing a k8

Post by carizle »

has anyone here done this before? i'm just wondering what would be the pros and cons of this vs swapping a klze like everybody and their brother is doing. the costs and tuning issues between swapping a ze vs turboing the stock k8? i kind of like the idea of smaller displacement and turbo, and also being able to turn up the boost to get more power....within reasonable limits to avoid blowing the engine of course.
If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!

98 Mustang Gt-convertible, bolt-ons and SCT race tune-Cams and 4.10 gears coming soon
SOLD-92 GS beater-280,000 miles and still goin strong-HEI mod
SOLD-91 Explorer XLT 4x4-never let me down, at least when I can afford to fill it up
Ryan

Re: turboing a k8

Post by Ryan »

Read.

Read.

Read.

You could boost a K8. KL hot pipes should fit fine. Youll get more power out of boosting a DE though.

Its all about bang for buck, and since you've decided to pay more to get less, making you different... I don't know how you rationalize that.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

carizle wrote:i'm just wondering what would be the pros and cons of this vs swapping a klze like everybody and their brother is doing.
Maybe there's a reason why everybody and their brothers are doing it this way. Cost, end result, dependability.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
carizle

Post by carizle »

i just found se7en's build up so i guess my inquiry is kind of redundant...i dont know i guess i'm just trying to shy away from swapping a whole engine just yet, but thanks for your input.

98 Mustang Gt-convertible, bolt-ons and SCT race tune-Cams and 4.10 gears coming soon
SOLD-91 Explorer XLT 4x4-never let me down, at least when I can afford to fill it up
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

You need to search and read some more on the site

You also need to stop bumping old threads to get your post count up
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Daninski wrote:
carizle wrote:i'm just wondering what would be the pros and cons of this vs swapping a klze like everybody and their brother is doing.
Maybe there's a reason why everybody and their brothers are doing it this way. Cost, end result, dependability.
Exactly. It's more expensive, will be less reliable for maybe the same amount of power. Could be more, but that's only if you do it right in the first place. And cheaping out on a turbo setup is more critical than cheaping out on a motor swap.

You list your K8 having 280'000kms on it and barely running; that's definitely not a good turbo candidate.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
carizle

Post by carizle »

actually i meant 280K miles....rofl. yeah i know. but really aside from a leaking waterpump and sludge in my coolant, it runs well. ran 185 across all six on the compression test. just need to find out whats getting in my coolant...

Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

carizle wrote:has anyone here done this before? i'm just wondering what would be the pros and cons of this vs swapping a klze like everybody and their brother is doing. the costs and tuning issues between swapping a ze vs turboing the stock k8? i kind of like the idea of smaller displacement and turbo, and also being able to turn up the boost to get more power....within reasonable limits to avoid blowing the engine of course.
WHAT WHAT WHAT !!!

I am confused, what forum have you been reading this information from?

you go ahead and turbo your K8 then we will compair how much you spent for fabrication, parts, and tuning and we will compair that to a direct swap and a plug and play ECU... :shrug:
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

carizle wrote:actually i meant 280K miles....rofl. yeah i know. but really aside from a leaking waterpump and sludge in my coolant, it runs well. ran 185 across all six on the compression test. just need to find out whats getting in my coolant...
Here's a quote from hppwdn about someone he knew running k8 turbo:
As for boosting the K8, it's not much fun. A guy here had one and even on 12-14psi he still ran in the 14s at the drag strip. It was really reliable though, he daily drove it for 2 years on that much boost with just an FMU until someone rear ended him and totaled out the car.
So, probably faster than a DE or even many ZEs, but turboing is IMO harder to do right than just dropping a DE/ZE in, and of most likely more expensive. I like the idea of a 1.8T, but really when there's a 2.5 so easily available why not start with more?
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
carizle

Post by carizle »

Alright I appreciate the input from everyone even those of you who slammed me I guess I deserved it. Next I want to ask should I cut my coils? :welder: AHAHAHAHA I'm sorry jk

Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

^^^^ Sure^^^^

marcdh

If you want to go with an I4 banger it is easier to go to a FE3 in the GS, it bolts to the trans... bigger displacement then the K8
carizle

Post by carizle »

Josh wrote:
If you want to go with an I4 banger it is easier to go to a FE3 in the GS, it bolts to the trans... bigger displacement then the K8
Hmmmm that might be an idea tell me about this FE3 was it jdm and europe only? Its related to the old F2T in 1st gen pgt's and mx6's right?

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Josh wrote:it is easier to go to a FE3 in the GS, it bolts to the trans...
The Fe3T bolts bolts to the V6 trans?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Josh wrote: marcdh
Thanks Josh, I've a KLDE in now so I'll be sticking with that. The power rafi made with FE3 was certainly impressive though. I think if I went 4 cylinder it would be the BP with the intention of using a toyota e153 trans.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

the FEDOHC is based off of a Diesel engine so the bottom end is extremely strong. There are individuals boosting of upwards to 800 plus HP. they were ONLY available in America under the Kia Sportage with a variant of the motor.

Return to “Forced Induction”