mazdags94 - 1994 MX-3 GS DE (sold)

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
JayJ

Re: mazdags94 - 1994 MX-3 GS

Post by JayJ »

Looks Great! (So Far!) :D Love the colors! I also like the design in the trunk! :D
~ Live Life To Love It Don't Love To Hate It ~
- 1995 Mx-3 Precidia -- Current State -- Semi Fixed Deer hit!
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Just to give an update, I have these parts in my possession FINALLY!!!!!!! They will be installed within the month:
- Straight neck KL-DE 2.5L V6 from 93 Probe Gt (new head gaskets, timing belt, pistons, rings, valve cover gaskets, etc)
- Probe gt Tranny
- KL02 ECU and VAF
- shifter linkages
- Clutch pedal assembly - INSTALLED
- OBX short throw shifter

- I need to pick up a new clutch kit, resurface my K8 flywheel, bronzoil bushings, and a few other things. I'll things updated.

I also painted the engine already and did some inspecting under the valve covers and such. Everything looked great! Here is how te Engine looks now:

As you can see next to the coolant filler neck on the left, there are TWO coolant temp sensors and my K8 only had one. Not sure how to approach that one yet but I'll try with just one and see how it goes. (Util my CEL tells me WAIT!!! - you can't do that! I'm telling)
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
colinf004

Post by colinf004 »

I also have 2 coolant temp sensors on my DE I haven't yet firgured out what to do about it...keep me posted, Love the work your dooing..
colinf004

Post by colinf004 »

what pistons and rods did you end up getting?? + did you end up getting some new valves and valve springs....
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

You could swap the coolant neck, or just leave the 2nd coolant sensor in and swap out one of them with the one in the K8.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Pistons and rings were done only. They are just OEM ones and were done prior to me buying it. As far as the coolant neck, I thought about swapping it over but I might just leave the second temp sensor disconnected. If the fan is on all the time, I'll just keep the engine cooler, that's all......
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
colinf004

Post by colinf004 »

I just left the second coolant in. I thought about swapping my K8 one just said .... it
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Yeah, I'll prolly just leave the second one in and not worry about it. I dont think it's a big deal.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Update 6-3-09:

- Car is on jacks and ready for swap.
- K8 is disconnected from harnesses/vacuum lines/hoses
- axles are out
- replaced all vacuum hoses with new ones

I will be disconnecting the headers/mounts to pull the engine this week!!

While out, I need to swap some sensors and such, and then attach the flywheel, CM stage one clutch, pilot and release bearings, and newer mid shaft.

Then I'll degrease the engine bay and pick up some extra hoses & wire.

Slowly but surely, she's all coming together. Once in, I'll be doing all new brakes, tie rod ends, and ball joints for safety. I'll post pics soon.... I can hear the engine roaring now :)
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Update 6-4-09:

Goodbye K8!!!!!!

Snapped a bolt of the front engine mount though :evil: . Oh well. I should get a poly mount anyways.

Here are some pics:

Future Mods will include this kit......

And here is a pic of my interior in the sunlight:

Thanks for all your help throughout the years fellas, which has allowed me to do this on my own. 8)
Mad Cow

Re: mazdags94 - 1994 MX-3 GS (**New Pics**)

Post by Mad Cow »

Looks like you have the same steering wheel as me, from a late '90s protege right? Have you tried hooking up the horn, I can't seem to figure it out.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

Mad Cow wrote:Looks like you have the same steering wheel as me, from a late '90s protege right? Have you tried hooking up the horn, I can't seem to figure it out.
looks like the regular mx-3 steering wheel, it's the airbag version
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Be careful w/ that crossover in the door, if it gets wet, it might not be pretty! I would try to protect it a bit better w/ some plastic or something. Does it fit there behind the door panels, or are you cutting something out to show it through the door panel?
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

It is the regular wheel with the airbag taken out. I have a three point wheel to put on it, I like it better.

The speakers will be changed.... I toyed with the idea of going panel-less but I think I'll have to fiberglass the panels to get them to where I want them. I think I'll post in the WTB section for a front Mount and MTX Mx3 tranny mount....
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

7-15-09 Update:

Clutchmasters Stage I Clutch Installed with pressure plate
resurfaced flywheel
new pilot bearing
new throwout bearing
Mated MTX tranny to engine
Installed Starter
Installed Poly filled front/rear motor mounts
Removed ATX shifter, ATX ecu, ATX cables
Installed OBX STS
New fuel filter/lines

***KLDE Engine is in the bay!***

I will wait to post engine pics until it's done and running.

Need to do the following:
Connect harnesses
Install rear exhaust manifold
EGR delete
Connect Various Vaccuum hoses
Extend some wire harnesses
Wire in MTX tranny
Fill up fluids (Bleed brakes/clutch)
Install axles
Install Rotors/Pads/Calipers
Install Wheels
Turn the key :)

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”