Mechanic says $1000 for Timing Belt

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

illapino wrote:
Yoda wrote:Just when through my boxes low mileage parts (under 47000km) the 3 set of idlers are all steel.
Yoda, i know your profile elaborately states that you are located in Earth, Galaxy, Milkyway, etc, and i'd hate to interrogate you, so i'll just ask: from what location did you get those 3 steel idlers? i take it that they're completely silver then, unlike the above photos that are only silver in the middle and black for the plastic surrounding ..
I guess originally the parts came from Hiroshima, Japan, They came to me via of some JDM importers that had KL-ZE and KF-ZE damaged in transport and were not in good enough condition to piece together to sell. Since these engines were be sent to the scrap metal recyclers my friends would let me take whatever parts I wanted for my personal use. No they are not silver. They are zinc-chromate or yellow-cad plated. I collected them to use as guide roller on a sheetmetel forming machine I built. And no you can't buy the extras I have, they are spares for my machine since my friends are on longer importing engines.
illapino

Post by illapino »

Tunes67 wrote:I took the water pump from my 92 K8 into my local napa with me since my research at this site indicated that there could be differences. My pump was a 32mm. The 92 their books and computer showed was a 16mm.
Just in time: I found one 32mm water pump and one 16mm water pump on eBay. I have a 92 K8 just like you Tunes. So is it definitely the 32mm I should order?

"V6 1844 cc. (1.8L) (Pulley Pilot Diameter 32mm)"
"Part number AW9318"
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

illapino wrote: "V6 1844 cc. (1.8L) (Pulley Pilot Diameter 32mm)"
"Part number AW9318"
Your quoting a NAPA part number correct??? It may be best to include that info when quoting part numbers since other automotive suppliers do not share similar part numbering.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
illapino

Post by illapino »

ok thanks, i'll keep that in mind.
but again: is the 32mm water pump guaranteed for K8 fitment as stated by you, Tunes?
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

No it is NOT garaunteed. And I did not say it was. If you will go back and read my post I said it could be EITHER. The only way to tell for certain is to take the pully off the front of the pump and inspect it. If it looks like the one in the picture.. then its a 32mm. If its smaller.. its the 16mm. Both water pumps will mount to the engine and both will work just fine... but only the correct one will fit your belt pulley. If you cant put your pulley back on the new pump.. its not going to do you a whole lot of good.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
illapino

Post by illapino »

Tunes67 wrote:Both water pumps will mount to the engine and both will work just fine... but only the correct one will fit your belt pulley. If you cant put your pulley back on the new pump.. its not going to do you a whole lot of good.

Tunes67
oh, this changes what i originally thought then.. can't i then just get a different size pulley then?.. it seems rather ridiculous: i can't even order the proper parts before dismantling my car? that means i'd have to be a real boy scout and just buy both water pumps before descending upon my timing belt, for i am definitely not gonna go down and take everything apart just to find out what size water pump i need, put it back together, order it, and then take everything apart again...

:roll: cars..
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
illapino

Post by illapino »

theimportexperts store (Yakima, WA) on eBay still sells the cheapest timing belt kit at C $162.15 with new water pump, but still ... which water pump do i need is the question: 16mm or 32mm, without having to gut open my belts just to look ... C $127.39 wtihout water pump, C $196.90 with hydraulic tensioner assembly instead of water pump ...
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
justin22_22

Post by justin22_22 »

ask the steelership they should be able to tell you.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”