KLZE Internal Components - final pic added

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

Oil pumps and a whole bunch of other parts check out Import Performance Parts online.

Question, how much did you pay for the JDM engine?
Aren't they used engines?
92 MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, OBX headers, 2-1/2" exhaust, XL Performance muffler, AASCO Aluminum flywheel,Pheno spacers,APEXi Airflow computer,Eibach springs,Tockico struts, Toyo RA1 205/50ZR15s, B&M short shifter. MS control arm Bushings, SS clutch line, SS brake hoses
wyldside
Supporting Member
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by wyldside »

I paid $1350 for the Engine at JDM Source in Calgary, AB (after MX-West discount). Came with 5-speed Manual Tranny (not LSD... Damn). When I got the engine I pulled the valve covers and everything looked okay. It was several months later when I pulled the rest of the engine apart that I noticed it had many many more kms on it than what they said. Unfortunately they wouldn't take it back after 90 days. Pissed me right off. So since I've already spent a good chunk of cash of cash on doing a minor rebuild initially, I might as well invest the last chuck of $$$$ to have something that will run well for a long time.

I just noticed those Oil Pumps on ImportPerformanceParts.net. I was thinking of the HV Toga version but I seem to remember someone say they were no good. I'll have to do some digging. It's only a little more than the OEM version.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

1992 Seal-Gray MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :mrgreen:
1992 White MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :( Worklog (Parting out)
1993 Blaze Red MX-3 GS - RIP :cry:
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

Do a search on a toga hv oil pump over on probetalk. It has terrible reviews, and there are a couple guys that blame the oil pump for destroying their newly rebuilt motor. I would stick with a stock mazda oil pump and shim it.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

Have any of you had personal experience with or heard anything on this "Sealed Power" Oil Pump from http://www.rockauto.com. Apparently it is a good brand name. I just can't find much for information from others that may have used it. I still have to search Probetalk to see if anyone there has used it. I wish someone would update the pictures for the shimming process on Probe talk. The images don't work, so it's hard to figure out what they are refering too.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

Its pretty easy, go to in the online manual and you can see a detailed picture of the oil pump and how it works. On the underside of the oilpump there is bolt that you need an allen wrench to break loose. There is a washer that sit on the bolt when threaded back into the pump housing, replace this washer with one 3mm thicker. All there is to it.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

Thank-you. I'll have to take some pictures when I do it so that I make something FAQ worthy.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

Philthy

Post by Philthy »

I can't recall ever having a problem with "sealed power" parts, I noticed that rockauto site also had a beck/arnley pump. I'd pick sealed power over beck/arnley just cuz iv'e had problems with beck/arnley .
Thanks for the info on the toga pump.
92 MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, OBX headers, 2-1/2" exhaust, XL Performance muffler, AASCO Aluminum flywheel,Pheno spacers,APEXi Airflow computer,Eibach springs,Tockico struts, Toyo RA1 205/50ZR15s, B&M short shifter. MS control arm Bushings, SS clutch line, SS brake hoses
wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

Well I found me a little present in the mail today. My JDM Mazda stock bore KLZE Pistons with 10.1:1 compression ratio. (wrist pins included)
A stock KLZE piston is completely flat across the middle. If you look closely, the center of these pistons are raised slightly (opposite to the dished KLDE piston). This effectively increases the compression ratio from 10.0:1 to 10.1:1. Not much, but it's a slight power increase (only about 1 HP). 11.0:1 would be better :).

The rest of the block components should be here this week too (hopefully) so I will be able to start putting things together.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

mazdaspeedmx_3

Post by mazdaspeedmx_3 »

Where did you get those pitons....and how much???
2006 best ET 14.43 @ 96.9mph
93 MX-3 GS-95 Curveneck klze, kl-01 cammed,homemade CAI,HEI module, chipped kl-07 ECU,UDP,KYB GR-2 struts,DropZone lowering springs, Toyo Proxes 4's 205-50-r15
parts to be installed:Turbo hot pipes,T04E/t3 50/63 57 trim, ssqv BOV, hks style 38mm wastegate
the rest of my turbo set up and IPP hp rebuild kit is in the NEAR future
SOON TO BE MX-3ZE-T
wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

They were through Corksport. My friend had to order them directly from Japan and I have a funny feeling that they might not offer them any more. If you are really interested, I can find out. They were around $270USD for the set of 6 with wrist pins.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

Okay, just checked with Derrick at Corksport. They will still sell the KLZE pistons. He just said that they were on back-order, but he'll be putting them back up on the website soon.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

James.. did you notice the thread here in the V6 forum a few weeks back talking about KLZE Valve Keepers and Retainers? I always thought it was the keepers that were breaking and causing valves to drop on the ZE's. But in this thread here:

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=56936

You can see that Slammed6 found that it was actually the valve retainers that have the problem with breakage. I think the whole thing was just a case of folks not using the proper terminology for the valve train parts. Just wanted to give you a heads up before you started assembling your engine. You still want the DE retainers.. its just not the keepers that are apparently the problem. Hope this helps.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

Thanks man! I actually assumed people were talking about the spring retainers because I've heard people mix up retainers and keepers before. I usually just refer to the keepers as "locks", but that's just me. None of my retainers are cracked, but I'm replacing them with DE ones anyways.

Thanks for thinking of me. :)
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

No worries man.. just would suck to see a fresh ZE grenade for such a simple to replace piece of hardware. Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

Yup! That's why I'm replacing them. :)
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”