Project Jay-Spec MX-326GS

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
IMACHU2

Re: Project Jay-Spec MX-326GS

Post by IMACHU2 »

ethand wrote:Ya, fully see your point on the perspective of the JDM-bug... thats why I just bought a JDM import! Haha... it wasn't intentional, actually - just figured it out after buying it that the badges said 'Presso' instead of '30x', and it had a compliance plate haha
Could you not purchase a new garnish from Mazda Japan & get it shipped? I would think that they'd be the same price as one from a stealership in the US, no? (Plus postage, obviously), if you were keen on a hint of subtle JDMness?
Either way, a brand new one sounds like a top idea... maybe you can think of a good way of sealing it a little better to stop the rust or something?
The stop rusting is easy, I just won't drive it in the Canadian winters with the road salt. I get a mad hook-ups at the local Mazda Stealership and they deliver the parts to me while I am at "work". You can't beat the convenience. And unlike paying some Malaysian dood on E-bay, I actually get the parts I order LOL
Dominic Toretto's whip is a MaZda and his cell phone number starts in "(323)"
My work log http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=72471
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

IMACHU2 wrote:
I have given up hope of finding a good condition garnish for the rear hatch.The garnish is like a pool to keep water in to rust the hatch. It is near impossible to get one off in one piece and all the hardware gets super rusty.I am saving up my fun tickets to buy a new one at the Mazda stealership. It is a lazy/easy approach cause it comes with all the hardware and gaskets. The cars are getting old and the garnish's did not age well, I think a new one will really freshin' the appearance.
What kind of Garnish are you looking for ?
i've spotted a 323 in my junkyard last week. If you want I can take it off and sent it to you. (it's probably the european version)
Although i wonder how cheap they are. i've asked for their headlights and they wanted 50 euro each side.

Just let me know and tell me what your budget is (incl/excl shipping)

Robert
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
IMACHU2

Post by IMACHU2 »

Thanks for offering to help the cause, but I really have my heart set on a new usdm one :love:

Last edited by IMACHU2 on March 19th, 2012, 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ethand
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by ethand »

Ah, right... That's one good thing about living in Australia! :lol: No snow to deal with :freak:
Awesome you get special deals through your local stealership... I wish I could get things at a reasonable price!!
'92 JDM Eunos Presso - Zeke
IMACHU2

Post by IMACHU2 »

ethand wrote:Ah, right... That's one good thing about living in Australia! :lol: No snow to deal with :freak:
Awesome you get special deals through your local stealership... I wish I could get things at a reasonable price!!
It is an odd arrangement actually. I manage a speed shop that specializes in American Muscle & street rods......and I own (3) 323's, a Civic and a Mustang, The parts guys at Mazda have American Muscle cars :lol:
IMACHU2

Post by IMACHU2 »

Got some smancy header gaskets to replace my..........eerrr smear of ultra copper. :roll: (KLZE)

http://catalog.remflex.com/
Last edited by IMACHU2 on March 19th, 2012, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMACHU2

Post by IMACHU2 »

New Nitrous Kit For the MX-326GS. The new "Blackout" Zex Kit has "Active Fuel Control" to monitor bottle pressure and automatically adjusts the fuel enrichment accordingly. In basic terms, more laughs per bottle ;)

Last edited by IMACHU2 on March 19th, 2012, 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

man you definitely have to post driving videos when you get her going
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Very good. Nice to see it all coming together. That is all :P
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
IMACHU2

Post by IMACHU2 »

Thanks guys. I want to get a GoPro camera for my automotive adventures :D

Did lots of wiring on the MX-326GS.

Wired the driving lights

Used a soldering gun with a cutting tip and a dremel tool to convert a "option I didn't have slot" into the driving light switch. The empty slot will be a red missle switch for the nitrous.

The driving lights are very bright and very white, the "black optics" play tricks on my camera.

Wired the whole stereo. It sounds great. It has 7 zillion colors for the display. I chose 90's green :-)
I had the door speakers behind the factor grilles but they were so deep, the window hit the back of the speaker when it tried to go down.

Speaker box with fork lift style quick disconect plug.

Speakers piled in the hatch...for now.

I need to wire and plumb the nitrous kit, then I can gather and button up all the wiring and put the interior back togeather. There is going to be lots of stuff in the hatch. I am thinking of making a plywood trunk floor liner to neatly mount & secure everything to.
Last edited by IMACHU2 on March 19th, 2012, 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

i love your updates, they're so awesome and your so close, can't wait!
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I'm loving them too. It would be great if you painted it with a '90s color, and OEM graphics.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
IMACHU2

Post by IMACHU2 »

Thanks Evo_spec.

Jesse:
I really had never planned to build this car to this level. The objective was to have a KLZE swapped 323 as my daily driver for less then the price of a good used car. If I had a time machine, I would have gone back in time and spent about $2500-$3000 on an absolutely mint 323 as my starting point. I spent a small fortune on my $400 crap can, but never the less, I really like how it is turning out. I am excited that it is close to completion.

Started putting the nitrous kit in. Built a funky bracket to mount it. Running out of room under there!
The red switch is the nitrous arming. I have to say this is my first Zex nitrous kit, but not my last. Nicest kit I have ever had. I Have had a NOS and a Edelbrock nitrous kit, this one is much nicer and much more complete. It's like they thought of everything and included it too! I picked up a 4X8' 3/4" piece of plywood. I am going to cut it to fit over the massive spare tire well and mount the sub box and Nitrous bottle to it.
Last edited by IMACHU2 on March 19th, 2012, 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

i really can't wait for videos when it's done
IMACHU2

Post by IMACHU2 »

I have been super busy with my new Bambino! (Ella) Image

My father passed away also :-(

I decided to bring the 326 home so that I might have a chance to work on it. I had the Mustang towed to my shop and decided to drive the 326 home. I had some trouble starting it so, I did some quick diagnosing and figured the starter motor was dead. I bought a new starter and went to instal it. Before I began I twisted the key and the car started right up. Confused I figured maybe one of the interlocks was being finicky. I continued working on the car temporarily installing a drivers seat and drivers seat belt. I was kinda flustered and late when I went to drive it home and it would not start. I tried to bump start it without any luck, so I got some jumper cables and connected the battery right to the starter and jumped the solenoid with a piece of wire. Nothing happened so without a shadow of a doubt the starter was definitely dead. I quickly changed it and the car started right up. In my haste, I forgot the sunroof was not bolted down and when I pulled second gear it took flight, hit the road and exploded into a zillion pieces. LOL

The rest of the drive home was pretty fun and uneventful. It goes like a 323 with a 197hp V6 :-) I am very happy with how the car drives. It handles very well and it rides very well. Some mentioned the MX-3 Eibach Pro Kit would have too high of a spring rate and suggested it would ride like a tank. Thankfully It rides and handles great. There are a few small issues with the car. The shifter was mess, and I did my best to fix it. (It had rusted apart, I cleaned it all up painted it, and screwed it back togeather). The shifter worked fine under normal load, but during high RPM shifts it bulked up bad and was nearly impossible to shift. With car season quickly approaching and me with very limited time, I decided to throw money at it until it worked LOL. I bought a new shifter and a new rear reflector for it.

With the car home and the tools at the shop (so far)I have done a few small projects between baby feedings. I cleaned up all the interior wiring and sticker bombed the interior roof.

I have decided to make lemonade out of lemons with the smashed sunroof. I have a much larger pop-up style sunroof on order. (the old one was just a little fella). The seats are giving me a headache. The seat brackets are rusted-out and the MX-3 seats are well worn, and they don't bolt-in. Do I fab up custom brackets for well worn seats? Thinking I might put my crappy ripped 323 seats in on their rusty brackets for now. I noticed the place I bought the KLZE from has at least ten million WRX Recaro's in stock so, maybe I will take a couple off his hands.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”